Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Single Stack Dead?

Rosswoodford

Single stack started this sport & it will never go away.

I guess some shooters cannot handle a ss in 45acp so they complain or shoot ss minor 9mm.

Every few years the new guys want to move or eliminate ss.

but I guess the dead horse won't beat itself as witnessed by 5 pages so far...lol

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 Slots still available at the Western States Single Stack match. The 1911 was passed up many years ago as a gamer platform. Sun setting now as a nostalgic piece. A legacy gun. 

On 2/12/2019 at 3:46 PM, Jeff226 said:

There is more involved than just triggers.  You can add magwells, disable grip safeties, and have gun weight far heavier than most production guns in single stack...maybe more.

The current-hotness USPSA Production guns-- CZ Shadow 2 and the Tanfoglioos weigh more out of the box than the SS max of 43oz.

Then they get to add another 4oz if they want.  Bull barrels and so on are also g2g on PD guns.

Magwells maybe make up for the different in mag opening to begin with.  Grip safeties?  Is that still a thing?

There really is no difference that matters.

1 hour ago, shred said:

The current-hotness USPSA Production guns-- CZ Shadow 2 and the Tanfoglioos weigh more out of the box than the SS max of 43oz.

Then they get to add another 4oz if they want.  Bull barrels and so on are also g2g on PD guns.

Magwells maybe make up for the different in mag opening to begin with.  Grip safeties?  Is that still a thing?

There really is no difference that matters.

Whether the differences matter or not in the results isn't the issue...the issue is whether we going to change the production rules to allow mag wells, safety disabling, and major power factor in order to arbitrarily stick a dying class inside another class?  Having another selection on the signup sheet for single stack is the difference that matters least and we already have limited 10 to dump single stack into with no rules changes.

What actually is the benefit to removing single stack?

My proposal is to allow SS-legal minor single-stacks to compete in Production.  It makes the pond deeper and changes nothing.  Practically speaking, it's where they belong.

No need to allow major in PD or any other changes to the PD rules.

What difference it makes is we no longer have goofy division splits "because reasons' and it lets the same-same guns compete for the same high hit factor on stages.  If you are the only SS minor shooter at a match, you are either 100% on every stage or ranked against Open and PCC hit factors in the "unofficial combined" results, and anyone that's shot for more than a few years knows about flip-flops between division and combined results.

It's No skin off anyones keister to leave SS exactly the way it is.......

I shoot SS Major in the Off Season instead of Limited.

It Challenges me, makes the Game more complicated, I need more focus.....for me.

And for some of us that don't hunt for HOA...find it fun and attractive.

I also get a charge out of coming close to or finishing ahead of my Limited competition.

19 hours ago, WaJim said:

It's No skin off anyones keister to leave SS exactly the way it is.......

Jeff Copper said something about DA/SA guns that fits here

Some thing like this-- It's an answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked.

Leave it alone!

Go and put Production into open, LOL

18 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Jeff Copper said something about DA/SA guns that fits here

Some thing like this-- It's an answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked.

Leave it alone!

Go and put Production into open, LOL

Wasn't it "an answer looking for a question?"

1 minute ago, jcc7x7 said:

Probably couldn't quite remember it and was lazy last night and didn't take the time to look it up!

I'm not sure either found it Jeff Cooper on DA Semi-Autos  "an ingenious solution to a nonexistant problem."

All 3 say pretty much the same thing.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:50 PM, shred said:

My proposal is to allow SS-legal minor single-stacks to compete in Production.  It makes the pond deeper and changes nothing.  Practically speaking, it's where they belong.

No need to allow major in PD or any other changes to the PD rules.

What difference it makes is we no longer have goofy division splits "because reasons' and it lets the same-same guns compete for the same high hit factor on stages.  If you are the only SS minor shooter at a match, you are either 100% on every stage or ranked against Open and PCC hit factors in the "unofficial combined" results, and anyone that's shot for more than a few years knows about flip-flops between division and combined results.

Which is why combining l10, SS, and production makes so much sense. 

8 rounds major; 10 rounds minor. 

Since we we now have DOH holsters in SS, SS minor and production are the same thing. 

Combining the divisions would simply things, and increase competition in areas such as mine that are typically dominated by limited and open.