Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Single Stack Dead?

Rosswoodford

Indeed the 1911 is a 107 year old design that simply won't work

Thank God we didn't use them in 2 world wars, korea and vietnam & someone should alert the modern special forces that they are too finicky & unreliable.

IPSC / USPSA started with the 1911 and it will never be obsolete..

It's simply a harder gun to master then a plastic 9mm

so we should probably just get rid of single stack division..

Whatever..

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already stated this subject has been beat many times on other threads.

I'll say it again mostly by people who don't shoot 1911/2011's or SS etc.

My thoughts are simple if they don't work how do guys like Max M keep winning national titles with them?

Yes I realize Max M is shooting CO this year at the request of SIG. He has many more wins with 1911/2011 guns.

Let me know when the horse is sufficiently beaten! 

7 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Besides nostalgia, 1911 is so finicky in terms of functionining 100% in terms of the type of ammo it feeds on. If this gun eats everything is gets thrown at it, it woudn't be a problem in terms of popularity. But hardcore 1911 would argue otherwise. And yeah, I expect a response " I don't have a problem with mine once you tune the mag and all other s#!t you have to tune."

If a gun needs tuning just to function 100%, it's a s#!t gun. Yes, I'm in the minority in this opinion. If that is not true, then my mistake, if not, then get a factory 1911 out of the box and see if it feeds a flat nose ammo without problems. 

Let's see what mods you did to your "Production" gun.  Is it bone stock? Not a single change at all?

If not, guess your gun is a SH_T gun too.

Why would i want to shoot flat nose ammo?

If they kill off the foundational division of the sport, there will be no reason for me to continue to participate in it.  After basically neutering revolver there just won't be anything there to hold my interest.  Loading 20 rounds in my mags and reloading once somewhere in the stage is just boring.  Production doesn't do anything for me either for some reason I can't quite figure out, but it never has piqued my interest.

I think it is more of a recreational division now.  There are certainly serious competitors, but I think more people try it out for a change of pace.  It’s been the most rewarding division that I’ve shot, but there is a lot to be said regarding having a gun in .40S&W that is set up to your liking.  Lots of trial and error, and very few options for guns chambered in .40S&W.

SS minor is weak.  Not sure why it is even an option.  It’s disgusting.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, mont1120 said:

Aiming is optional.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, zombywoof said:

Yes, yes it is.

Is that what the thing at the end of the slide with the FO rod in it, is for?

I honestly smile about this game all the time and 90% of the people are great.

Thanks to all of you folks who make it fun!

23 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

You will enjoy it.  Factory trigger is heavy but after you tune it, the gun is awesome! 

Ya I ordered the spacer to remove the series 80 stuff some springs and plan to work on the trigger.

3 hours ago, Rosswoodford said:

You are braver than I! Lo-Cap minor icky!

I've have been shooting production so I'm figuring about the same with a much better trigger than my Glock 34.  Also 8 round major is not a good time at most matches.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, Trent1k1 said:

Let's see what mods you did to your "Production" gun.  Is it bone stock? Not a single change at all?

If not, guess your gun is a SH_T gun too.

Why would i want to shoot flat nose ammo?

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:46 AM, bird said:

Indeed the 1911 is a 107 year old design that simply won't work

Thank God we didn't use them in 2 world wars, korea and vietnam & someone should alert the modern special forces that they are too finicky & unreliable.

IPSC / USPSA started with the 1911 and it will never be obsolete..

It's simply a harder gun to master then a plastic 9mm

so we should probably just get rid of single stack division..

Whatever..

All my production guns shoots all kinds of ammo, cheap ones too, and functions flawlessly, out of the box. The mods are just for better performance, not to stop malfunctions or ammo feed problems. Also, why flat nose? Because freedom. Sound like I touch a nerve. It wasn't my intend. Certainly not my intend for debate about this. I was a potential customer for 1911 until I personally had this problem and I'm not alone on this. Good thing it wasn't my gun. And flat nose ammo is a common problem for 1911. Common, not all. 

I love the look and feel of the 1911, wheter in 9mm or 45, I love the balance on how it shoots and how accurate it is. But for f*#k sake, I can't invest on something that is so finicky. This is like buying a performace car (BMW) vs reliablity (Lexus), I'd rather go with reliability. 

If the 1911 design was so good, then why did the 2011 design go for a barrel feed ramp instead of the orignial frame feed ramp? Not really looking for the answer but feel free. 

Using an example for the use in world war? What ammo did they use? God forbid they used flat nose. Also glad that we had M16 back then in the Nam because they were trouble free back then. And yeah, responses like this brings fans to 1911. 

Edited by happygunner77

My question was why shoot flat nose projectiles?

I should now change my bullet profiles to something new because it doesmt meet your standards of acceptable ammo?

To be fair, when i started USPSA i was shooting White box ammo through my bone stock Trojan.  When i started yo reload, i developed a load that was also a round nose and similar profile to what i had been using.  I have no reason to change.  Ive never tried wadcutters or flat nose because my load is accurate and reliable.  

I also didnt HAVE to make any "performance mods" to my 1911 to have a competitive gun because it has, and continues to run.  BTW, i have close to 15k rounds thriugh the gun.  All original parts too.

Im sorry you dont like the platform, or havent been able to get one to run. 

I, and many others do not have that problem.

If you are into USPSA for the competition, then single stack is pretty much dead. I wouldn't shoot any division that didn't have heat in it. But even though a 1911 feels terrible to me ergonomics-wise, I do kind of wish it was a popular division because all the guns are essentially the same; it takes away any excuses related to equipment. I think it would be fun to convince all the people I shoot with to all shoot SS in a local match once a year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

My question was why shoot flat nose projectiles?

I should now change my bullet profiles to something new because it doesmt meet your standards of acceptable ammo?

To be fair, when i started USPSA i was shooting White box ammo through my bone stock Trojan.  When i started yo reload, i developed a load that was also a round nose and similar profile to what i had been using.  I have no reason to change.  Ive never tried wadcutters or flat nose because my load is accurate and reliable.  

I also didnt HAVE to make any "performance mods" to my 1911 to have a competitive gun because it has, and continues to run.  BTW, i have close to 15k rounds thriugh the gun.  All original parts too.

Im sorry you dont like the platform, or havent been able to get one to run. 

I, and many others do not have that problem.

I did use a rn and it was flawless, accurate as hell. When I shot production, my friend reloads for me and I use the 147 SNS fn. It cuts a better hole than the rn for some reason, not as good as a wad cutter. 

3 hours ago, Thomas H said:

Ok, that makes me curious.  Why? 

Because SS minor feels exactly like Production to me the few times I've shot it. If I do something different, I want it to be different and SS minor isn't different enough from Prod to even interest me. But 8 rounds and major, that's different enough for me.

36 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Because SS minor feels exactly like Production to me the few times I've shot it. If I do something different, I want it to be different and SS minor isn't different enough from Prod to even interest me. But 8 rounds and major, that's different enough for me.

Ah, that makes sense.

Oddly enough, that's WHY I shot SS Minor this past year----I didn't want to have to reload a different caliber, nor do different stage plans.  I was just interested in trying a gun type that I hadn't spent much time with, and since I knew I wouldn't use it outside of SS in USPSA (which I wouldn't shoot much after this year) or a bullseye-type match somewhere, I didn't want to spend extra money on things I wouldn't use later.  :)

Edited by Thomas H
weird space showed up that I had to delete!