Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Single Stack Dead?

Rosswoodford

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my club in Florida, we have a "Factory Gun" match (in 3 weeks) Production, Revo and SS.  We will have abut 60 single stack shooters and 80 Production, and 9 Revo.

We also throw in one Super Saturday match a year that is Single Stack only.  I started the sport with a 1911 and enjoy shooting it.  I shot it at Nationals and with no prep or practice did surprisingly well.

I never shot at PASA, but we used to have a contingent of 11-15 shooters that went up every year for the match.  Some very questionable calls and other things by the staff were a big turnoff for that group from my club.  About 3 years ago was the last time anyone made the trip cuz it just wasn't even fun once they got there.

Yeah, many of the new people are showing up with CO guns as they are fun, but my first year of USPSA was Single Stack and it taught me a lot about how to play this game and learn the skills needed for all of the Divisions.

9 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

At my club in Florida, we have a "Factory Gun" match (in 3 weeks) Production, Revo and SS.  We will have abut 60 single stack shooters and 80 Production, and 9 Revo.

We also throw in one Super Saturday match a year that is Single Stack only.  I started the sport with a 1911 and enjoy shooting it.  I shot it at Nationals and with no prep or practice did surprisingly well.

I never shot at PASA, but we used to have a contingent of 11-15 shooters that went up every year for the match.  Some very questionable calls and other things by the staff were a big turnoff for that group from my club.  About 3 years ago was the last time anyone made the trip cuz it just wasn't even fun once they got there.

Yeah, many of the new people are showing up with CO guns as they are fun, but my first year of USPSA was Single Stack and it taught me a lot about how to play this game and learn the skills needed for all of the Divisions.

I would love to get a copy of the heads up results if it gets scored that way. Or I guess I could just look at the hit factors.
IMO I think those divisions belong merged. 8 shot major 10 shot minor. I am betting not much difference in scores among similar skill level shooters.

9 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I would love to get a copy of the heads up results if it gets scored that way. Or I guess I could just look at the hit factors.
IMO I think those divisions belong merged. 8 shot major 10 shot minor. I am betting not much difference in scores among similar skill level shooters.

That subject is already been beat to death on another thread.

Mostly by people who don't shoot those divisions.

I shot SS nats a few years ago. I have also shot the western states twice, the silver bullet SS/Prod match in reno when it was put on 2-3 years ago, and the Hawktech 1911 match in idaho 4 times. the match at PASA was imho the least interesting by far. I would not consider shooting it again unless it was nationals. Too many short stages, nothing over 24 rounds. 

If i'm going to a shoot a prehistoric gun, I want to have fun with it.

22 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Hmmmmmm given any thought to the challenge of Revolvers?

I have. And if we had *any* revo shooters in my area, I’d consider. But as mentioned above for SS shooters in his area, the numbers just aren’t here. There’s a decent amount of SS shooters in my area. Quite a few of them are much better than I am. I

At our monthly match about 10% are single stack shooters.  I shot SS for years then started shooting Production.  Been in Production for years and years.

I did look at the age of the SS folks and there is no one under 35 shooting it (at our club).  That may be sign!  

1 hour ago, oddjob said:

At our monthly match about 10% are single stack shooters.  I shot SS for years then started shooting Production.  Been in Production for years and years.

I did look at the age of the SS folks and there is no one under 35 shooting it (at our club).  That may be sign!  

I guess I’m just weird. I’m 26 and love it. If I go back to limited I’ll get a 2011 to stay on the 1911 platform.

17 hours ago, Rosswoodford said:

I have. And if we had *any* revo shooters in my area, I’d consider. But as mentioned above for SS shooters in his area, the numbers just aren’t here. There’s a decent amount of SS shooters in my area. Quite a few of them are much better than I am. I

WHAT!  Des Moines, check with Carmoney at Ankenny.

Surprisingly, this weekend my local club match has more SS than PCC shooters this weekend!

Division
Limited 25
Limited 10 1
Open 18
Production 25
Revolver 0
Single Stack 6
Carry Optics 12
Pcc 4

My take on divisions is still along the same lines that my first attraction to firearms and pistols on general. That is, I have no desire to learn to shoot something well that has no practical application. So for me that leaves Production, CO, and SS. Not sure about USPSA's goals as an organization, but PRACTICAL is in their name (so is pistol🙄), so I think you need to have a division that all popular, practical guns can compete in. Probably the same reason Revo is still around.

Edited by SweetToof
less irrelevant info

On 11/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, davidb72 said:

I enjoy shooting single stack.

That being said, I definitely enjoy shooting single stack minor more than I do single stack major.

If I end up going back to SS it will be minor for a few reasons.  First is that at most level ones and my area match (area 3) its mostly 8 round arrays.  second my last SS gun was in 40 and it did run but was a pain to keep running major or minor and 45 cost to much even reloading.  

I enjoy shooting SS also. I just like the 1911. There is not a whole lot of participation in SS at the local matches. Mostly new shooters, with certain clubs having their dedicated veterans also. I just shoot for overall in the final results. If I can make the top 25-30%, I am happy. I tried shooting both major and minor this year, and for me, I found I gave up too many points with minor, and did not usually make it up in time savings, to offset. For a younger and better shooter, their results might be different. I just like the .45 better.

Edited by GBertolet

I was always worried that the poppers would not go down with the 9mm, especially if they were not hit well. Although my worries were unfounded, some were scary slow in falling. The production division shooters seem to get by though.

Edited by GBertolet

Besides nostalgia, 1911 is so finicky in terms of functionining 100% in terms of the type of ammo it feeds on. If this gun eats everything is gets thrown at it, it woudn't be a problem in terms of popularity. But hardcore 1911 would argue otherwise. And yeah, I expect a response " I don't have a problem with mine once you tune the mag and all other s#!t you have to tune."

If a gun needs tuning just to function 100%, it's a s#!t gun. Yes, I'm in the minority in this opinion. If that is not true, then my mistake, if not, then get a factory 1911 out of the box and see if it feeds a flat nose ammo without problems. 

Edited by happygunner77