Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Single Stack Dead?

Rosswoodford

I was disappointed to see the Single Stack Classic was cancelled for 2019.  I didn't make it last year, and was pretty pumped to go this year. What are the chances another range saves that match?
  With the growth of C/O and PCC, it seems like the low-cap divisions are losing more popularity.

Thoughts?

Edited by Rosswoodford

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope not.

I'm an IPSC shooter, and love the different challenges presented by using low cap guns. My favorite IPSC Divisions are always the smallest ones in Matches: Revolver and Classic (the closest thing to Single Stack).

IPSC may be more friendly for low cap guns, because Matches are by rules required to have more Short than Long stages, so it isn't all a reload marathon.

I was disappointed to see the Single Stack Classic was cancelled for 2019.  I didn't make it last year, and was pretty pumped to go this year. What are the chances another range saves that match?
  With the growth of C/O and PCC, it seems like the low-cap divisions are losing more popularity.

Thoughts?
lo cap are gaining popularity just not in single stack. With the recent rule change in production and manufacturers making competition based guns it was inevitable. Production will continue to become a mammoth

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not just shutting down the match but the Society, it ran a long time with the same group though.

R.I.P.

As for SS itself, probably a confluence of events.  Younger shooters don't have the history and love of the 1911, cost benefits lean towards other platforms, polymer frames are cheaper and can be accessorized pretty well.  Combine that with some newer Divisions such as CO's, which are gaining quickly, and PCC, which is taking off quicker than I thought, and you just see fewer shooters with 1911's.  I have several, yet don't seem to shoot them much anymore 🤧 will miss them 🤧.

Edited by pskys2

38 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Not just shutting down the match but the Society, it ran a long time with the same group though.

R.I.P.

As for SS itself, probably a confluence of events.  Younger shooters don't have the history and love of the 1911, cost benefits lean towards other platforms, polymer frames are cheaper and can be accessorized pretty well.  Combine that with some newer Divisions such as CO's, which are gaining quickly, and PCC, which is taking off quicker than I thought, and you just see fewer shooters with 1911's.  I have several, yet don't seem to shoot them much anymore 🤧 will miss them 🤧.

It’s unfortunate! You could call me a younger shooter, but I enjoy the challenges presented by it. It literally forces you to be better.. Because if you miss once it can throw a whole stage plan. 

31 minutes ago, Hammer said:

+1.  8 shots needed. 9 in the gun. Aim hard or do a standing reload.  Hopefully we'll see a few SS only matches in the future.

Or shoot 9mm. 10+1 same as production. Minor scoring so you need all Alphas.

8 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

A range in Colorado is reportedly trying to save the match; 2019 would have been the 25th anniversary of the contest.

Any idea which/where that is? I was really looking forward to that match and hope they do in fact save it.

I shoot matches to have a good time and forget about work and other stresses, so worrying about reloads over and over just isn't as fun for me as ripping through a stage with only 1 reload. 

I do shoot SS occasionally, but Limited is my go to for the fun. 

I shoot SS.  Have shot western states a couple of times had to cancel this year to take care of mom. Going to the next one.  There aren't a lot of 45 shooters in my area so when I shoot my swc 45s people really notice those big holes.

5 hours ago, Eureka1911 said:

I shoot single stack because I am a dinosaur. For me after a 1911 everything else is just a gun. Except for my 6" Ruger Redhawk!! 😍

I consider my Glock "the boring gun". The 1911 and the 6-shooter revolver are the fun ones.

A strange trend has occurred up here in the frozen tundra. SS is actually making a comeback. Our matches run a bout 40 shooters, and it seems like we added 3-4 SS people. L10 is completely dead, and we have one revolver shooter. The folks who switched came from Limited and Open. The biggest gain was CO.

PCC has a few fans, but I do not think it will get widespread acceptance around here. Seems almost like cheating. 60 rounds, a red dot, add a laser, no weak hand shooting, no need to draw, and really, just blaze away. Aiming is optional.

If I’m shooting iron sights, it’s with a single stack, end of discussion... and I’m not just saying that because I live in a restricted state.  I love the trigger of a 1911 as well as the grip size, angle, and shape. I’ll take steel over polymer in a second.  Also, I appreciate having to plan for less rounds rather than more— thinking is an essential part of my enjoyment of the game, and havig a smooth reload is part of the skill set.

I just spent a crap ton of money building my dream gun Single Stack in minor and will be competing with it in USPSA and SCSA starting in January.   

I’m 100% confident that Single Stack is going to make a big come back in a few years as more and more brand new shooters come up in restricted states and can’t/don’t want to deal with 2011 limiteds.  

Edited by jkrispies

On 11/17/2018 at 1:12 PM, Rosswoodford said:

It’s unfortunate! You could call me a younger shooter, but I enjoy the challenges presented by it. It literally forces you to be better.. Because if you miss once it can throw a whole stage plan. 

Hmmmmmm given any thought to the challenge of Revolvers?

Edited by pskys2

I started in Prod with a glock.  Then went to SS because I love the 1911.  Shot that for over a year and got bored of being both first and last in SS at most level 1s.  Went back to Prod.

I have a good bit of money coming to me in January and have been toying with the idea of getting back into SS but when I look at even L2 or L3 matches around me the SS numbers are just not there.  Im currently a B in SS and prod and thus have people to shoot with in my class but hit A in SS and your on your own.

I will probably end up buying a set of shadow 2s or a set of glocks to build to limited guns to go with my prod glock 34s.