Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite all-time stages?

SweetToof

So this question is one for everyone, although specifically not-new shooters who have shot club, sectional, majors, nationals, and world-shoots. I just want to know what people's favorite stages were? Most every major from the last few years has video available on youtube so it should be easy to find them if you don't remember EXACTLY what made it your favorite stage or what number the stage was in the match.

Not only is this just interesting to me as to what people really like about certain stages, but I am also building my own at home range. I have one of Stoegers books and know of a few standard drills, but if I can build larger stuff to practice on, why not set up some of the "all time greats." If not the full thing, parts of it that were particularly interesting.

You forced me to think about it, and everything I come up with involved a

stage that I aced.     :surprise:

Couple were "memory" stages that I figured out a little better than most shooters of my caliber.

One was shooting at c 45 yards - three targets - Stage I was 6 shots, reload, 6 shots freestyle

Stage II was 6, reload, 6 more kneeling

Stage III was 6, reload, 6 more prone.

(Yes, I aced it, also).

You can't go wrong with the classics - Bill Drill, Dot Torture and El Presidente.    :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that's an easy one, the 1st stage I ever shot has been my favorite. Shot a stage called fort apache night fight while stationed in Germany back in 1984. just a simple 20 shot field course. but was shot in the dark  with only drums of burning fuel to see by, and I have been shooting the sport ever since  

• 1 month later...

2015 MN Section match, stage 10 was one of my all-time favorites, because it involved a stage planning "eureka" moment for me regarding how to shoot it without forgetting to engage (or engaging extra times) certain targets which were visible from multiple locations.  Another was a 27 target, 1 round per target stage at the 2017 MN Section match.  It was a memory stage. Normally, I kind of hate memory stages, but a group of us worked together to determine which targets we needed to shoot from which locations in order to complete it successfully, which was really satisfying.  Sadly, a friend of mine DQed on that stage (ND), but I still loved figuring it out together.  Basically I like any stage where I get to/have to figure out a puzzle of some kind, or where there are multiple ways it's possible to do it, and it takes some thought to determine which way is best.

was either an area 8, or a VA/MD sectional..
Stage had  a center lane to run down,, on each side was a mix of paper, cover and small steel plates,,,,  with a steel plate in center for min 23 rounds,,, was a short hoser really,,,  Everyone was  doing standing reloads.,,, and / or doing make up shots on plates they missed...
Humm figured "screw it,,, shoot to win you might... shoot to lose , you will.
Dropped all my spare mags and walked to line with a 22 round rescomp and a Barney round,,, Smoked that stage.... the Force was with me that day.

World Shoot in Ecuador.  The Mine stage-- they dug a tunnel between two bays and had giant teeter-totters on either side targets slid down.  Activated by poppers on the other side from the sliders.

The train-car roller-coaster fixed-time stage from the Coleman Classic years ago.  Self-start by releasing the brake when ready, then ride an enclosed cart down a track as targets speed by faster and faster.  Crash to a stop at the end.

Both very prop-heavy so not really a good option for a home range though.

22 hours ago, shred said:

World Shoot in Ecuador.  The Mine stage-- they dug a tunnel between two bays and had giant teeter-totters on either side targets slid down.  Activated by poppers on the other side from the sliders.

The train-car roller-coaster fixed-time stage from the Coleman Classic years ago.  Self-start by releasing the brake when ready, then ride an enclosed cart down a track as targets speed by faster and faster.  Crash to a stop at the end.

Both very prop-heavy so not really a good option for a home range though.

Now those are stages that sound like the folks setting them up had as much fun as the people shooting them!  How big was that tunnel?

• 1 month later...
  1. shooter squatting inside a mine bucket accelerating downhill on a rail line
  2. suspended in a parachute harness and swung forwards and backwards whilst engaging targets
  3. standing in the back of a truck whilst being driven from the front of the range to the rear
  4. field stage performed whilst remaining inside a golf cart.
  5. fixed time mover stage where the target is visible for 3-4 seconds per run (left to right and immediately return) and there is no limit to the number of hits (fun stage)
  6. 6 buildings on one range at the 1977 world shoot
  7. stage with multiple cars where the targets are all over the place and the optimum path often involves going over the cars
  8. Proper long jungle lanes in granite koppies or vertical banked river beds
  9. Diabolical speed shoots such as two double swingers, each in a Y shape frame, through the same aperture using mini targets
  10. Any new stage where the designer has come up with some challenge that is totally different to the norm

9 hours ago, jim vaughan said:
  1. shooter squatting inside a mine bucket accelerating downhill on a rail line
  2. suspended in a parachute harness and swung forwards and backwards whilst engaging targets
  3. standing in the back of a truck whilst being driven from the front of the range to the rear
  4. field stage performed whilst remaining inside a golf cart.
  5. fixed time mover stage where the target is visible for 3-4 seconds per run (left to right and immediately return) and there is no limit to the number of hits (fun stage)
  6. 6 buildings on one range at the 1977 world shoot
  7. stage with multiple cars where the targets are all over the place and the optimum path often involves going over the cars
  8. Proper long jungle lanes in granite koppies or vertical banked river beds
  9. Diabolical speed shoots such as two double swingers, each in a Y shape frame, through the same aperture using mini targets
  10. Any new stage where the designer has come up with some challenge that is totally different to the norm

Pardon my ignorance: what is a koppie?

Being younger I always liked the stages that had two boxes spread as far apart as possible.  This generally meant I could use my youth to outrun some bad shooting...but after thinking about it I actually like the adrenaline and trying to shoot after a dead sprint!