Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Scoring Devices

Overscore

At my club, we use BN Nooks for scoring shooters in the pistol bays.  These work quite well, since they're visible in the sun and the battery easily lasts all day with the screen on during the entire match.  Rumor on the street is that Practiscore is discontinuing support for the Nooks, so it seems I'll have to replace the devices.

Can you tell me what you use in your matches?  I've been at a few matches using more traditional tables (Such as the Kindle Fire), and from what I've seen, they require some very aggressive screen timeout settings to get the battery to last all day, not to mention the challenges of seeing the display in the sun.  Of course, on the upside, there isn't that distracting lag that the Nook has.

Please tell me what you're using and what you see as the pros and cons.

We use fire tablets. Cheap and lost the match. Find them on sale and they are 30 bucks each and they support PractiScore natively. I’ve started the process of collecting a battery pack for each tablet in use and pairing it with a usb cable to ensure enough juice to last a match as a just in case. 

For the record cord I can count the number of times I’ve had a tablet die during a 70 shooter 6 stage match on one hand 

We replaced our Nooks with Fire HD 8s last Black Friday. The only real downside is the screen glare. Also one slightly annoying thing with them is that won't auto reconnect to a WiFi network that doesn't have an internet connection (assume something due to the ads). Overall they get enough battery for a full day's worth of use and are much faster to sync with my master iPad than the Nooks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not a rumor. Versions of the PractiScore app released after December 2018 won't install on the old Nook devices.

https://blog.practiscore.com/app-information-android/

You can check my notes on Android tablets at https://blog.practiscore.com/android-tablets/

Also, it's a good time to get more Kindle devices now. https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/209272-hardware-deals/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-2985724

Edited by euxx

Once Practiscore stops supporting Nooks doesn’t mean that they won’t work anymore. They will simply be stuck at whatever version of Practiscore was the last release that supported them. 

The only way keeping Nooks at an older version becomes a problem is if USPSA deployes a new division or completely changes their scoring method. A new division may happen but I highly doubt that a new scoring method will ever happen.

My club uses Nooks and we will continue to use them until we are forced to upgrade the hardware. You can’t beat the durability, screen visibility outside and battery life of Nooks compared to the other “cheap” tablets available on the market today. 

Charlie, new divisions is not an issue, but scoring changes are already happening in USPSA. I am aware of at least one not supported in PractiScore yet and it doesn't look like we'll have it in before end of December. And there are other sports besides USPSA...

1 hour ago, euxx said:

Charlie, new divisions is not an issue, but scoring changes are already happening in USPSA. I am aware of at least one not supported in PractiScore yet and it doesn't look like we'll have it in before end of December. And there are other sports besides USPSA...

What USPSA scoring challenge already exists today?

58 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

What USPSA scoring challenge already exists today?

Don't want to post any details here... It's based on the published draft rules. Though it may not affect handgun matches (yet). Also, default match templates may need to reflect some rule changes (some stuff related to DNF was mentioned in the last uspsa mail outs).