Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you wear metal Cleats shoes in USPSA?

highhope

yes but I would wear molded football cleats. the adult ones not the children's shark versions lol. the hard plate on screw in and baseball cleats will tear your feet up.

They grab traction better because of the smaller teeth in the forefoot. Don't get high tops either as they're heavier and slow you down. 4 years of middle linebacker in college taught me that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some of the nastiest falls I have seen have been when guys wearing cleats hit wood or concrete or truly hard-pan surfaces.  Cleats are meant for turf.  If your ranges are all turf, then they may be a good idea.  If your ranges have varied surfaces, they may not be the best idea.  

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, johnsonian85 said:

Seems like the risk of stepping on a wood fault line is not worth the marginal grip gained from trail running shoes.

Can you elaborate on this? Almost everybody in this game wears some form of trail running shoe. And we stand on fault lines all the time.

38 minutes ago, johnsonian85 said:

Seems like the risk of stepping on a wood fault line is not worth the marginal grip gained from trail running shoes.

Trail shoes grip slick wooden or concrete surfaces just fine. That’s why they’re so popular; somewhat better traction in mud & gravel than running shoes without being any less safe on hard wet surfaces.

The tread materials to avoid are hard plastic cleats, and metal ones. Those are death on wooden pressure pad activators and fault line sticks.

I have a pair of cleats that I chose by going to the store and buying the pair with the softest rubber spikes molded into the sole; whichever shoe my fingernail bit into the deepest AND which felt good on my feet. They’re Under Armour brand, and they work well on everything you step on or in while shooting USPSA.

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Can you elaborate on this? Almost everybody in this game wears some form of trail running shoe. And we stand on fault lines all the time.

Sorry.  I mean wearing hard plastic/metal cleats doesn't have enough advantage (over trail running shoes) to risk slipping in the cleats.

Edited by johnsonian85
clarification

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on the saloman speedspikes.  Been wearing those for years and they are great for everything EXCEPT concrete.  I'd say they are better on wood or any slick surface that is soft enough for the "spikes" to dig in than a normal trail shoe or boot.

If you really wanted to wear some sort of cleat, turf cleats are probably the way to go, but they are designed very similar to trail shoes in terms of stud design. I would personally avoid anything with metal because on any hard surface the metal bits will be the only parts touching which makes it very easy to slip. Metal is designed for very soft turf.  

Image result for astroturf cleats

Edited by regor

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

how many people have you seen truly running at a match? 5 quick shuffle steps maybe....

more importantly how good are they for standing around and waiting... hahahah

For me it’s not about running as much as it is stopping.😂

• 2 weeks later...

You are joking about mud pits, but I had the "privilege" of RO-ing a massive mud pit stage during our annual Wave Charity Match (130+ shooters, charity match for veterans to learn scuba diving) just a few months ago. We had the worst rains, in Southern California desert no less, and I drew the worst stage at the bottom of a shallow depression. The mud was actually clay and it was ankle deep, adding about 10 pounds of sticky cake-like material to each foot that you couldn't shake off. Cleats made no difference - the whole base moved with every step and it felt like shallow quicksand. 

Let's not talk about mud pits... :)