Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson Elite Mayhem comments?

vgdvc

Hello.Has anyone have any exposure to or experience to share with the Dan Wesson Elite Mayhem pistol?  6"  .40 Shuemann Ultimatch bull barrel ,lightened slide,steel frame and EGW internals etc.... Seems interesting

I happen to accidentally come across seeing this online and it did seem interesting.  Can't seem to find evidence of what magazines it takes. I don't know if it's proprietary or they almost look like a Caspian setup. 

I happen to accidentally come across seeing this online and it did seem interesting.  Can't seem to find evidence of what magazines it takes. I don't know if it's proprietary or they almost look like a Caspian setup. 
yes it's caspian. MBX makes caspian mags that run great in these

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Could never get mine to run 100% unless I used the 18 round mags from Caspian - those were 100% but were capacity-deficient compared to a 2011. I tried a bunch of different followers/springs/tubes but had little success . Now this was before MBX was in business so things could have changed dramatically in mags since I owned - and subsequently sold - mine. To say I was disappointed in mine is a vast understatement!

The Caspian tubes are Tanfoglio tubes(Mecgar), with Henning's base pad and Gram's spring and follower are 21 round(.40) mags that meet the 141.25mm length. Have used this mag with all of my Limited Caspian builds.

Rich

4 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Titandriver, aside from reliability issues, which is top priority, how was the feel/recoil sensation of the 6" top end with the steel frame?

I went to a 6" cuz I'm old - joined USPSA in Jan, '89 - but I never noticed much of a difference under match conditions between my plastic gripped 5" and the Caspian framed one. Could see the sights better on the 6" though!

2 hours ago, RIIID said:

The Caspian tubes are Tanfoglio tubes(Mecgar), with Henning's base pad and Gram's spring and follower are 21 round(.40) mags that meet the 141.25mm length. Have used this mag with all of my Limited Caspian builds.

Rich

I still have some of those tubes & parts and while I could get them to hold 21rounds, they were never 100% for me. I'll sell 'em to you if you'd like Rich, sounds like you know how to make 'em work.

Oh yeah, Greg Krebaum -Fred Craigs partner - was the 'smith that built these pistols for DW and we shared many an email regarding the mag issues  and potential fixes. In the end I had Lone Star Innovations put the top end on an SV frame - never had a mag issue thereafter. 

Dunno how many of these pistols were made but there's a reason - aside from price - why they didn't catch on.

I built a caspian limited gun and had feeding problems that drove me nuts until I read a post on 1911 forums that solved it

on the caspian frame at the very top of the mag well there is a shelf that stops the mags from being over inserted, and yes you cannot over insert a mag in a caspian 

on my supers the rounds clear the shelf, but the fatter 40 rounds and the follower would hit it causing misfeeds, 2 minutes with a sanding drum in a dremel to contour the shelf to clear the rounds solved it

the last caspian frame I got has the cut already made, I guess they read the same post

Dadnabbit Rich - where were you with that "hack" 4 or 5 years ago? I just checked that DW frame - as I had an Open top end built on it - and sure as shootin' that ledge is still there. Wish I had known about grinding that ledge down a few years ago, sure would've saved me a lot of $$$ and aggravation!

Decided to test Rishiis' fix for feeding problems - dunno if his unmodified frame looked like mine or not but second pix shows the "over-insertion" ledge of which he spoke. The right side of the mag lip hits the bottom and stops the mag at that point. First pix shows a K10 mag (from Henning) with 40 S&W rounds and inserted into the frame - no way those rounds are hitting that shelf! Mystery remains unsolved as to my feeding issues!

IMG_1128.jpg

Edited by titandriver

6 minutes ago, Posvar said:

I know of two that the owners couldn’t get to run and had a very hard time selling them. They are a lot of money for what you are getting. 

Hey Matt - I can not truthfully say it didn't run, it ran fine with the 18 round mags that came with the pistol. It's when you try to up the capacity to 20-21 rounds that failures occur on a fairly frequent basis. I could never find a combination of followers/springs/mag tubes/base pads or OAL that would run even 90%.

Thanks all for the replies. Interesting,intringuing,etc. seems to be the general consensus. I don't see an advantage of pursuing one since they seem to be about $3K and a custom build  would offer a greater array of accessories,proven mags and options available

1 hour ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks all for the replies. Interesting,intringuing,etc. seems to be the general consensus. I don't see an advantage of pursuing one since they seem to be about $3K and a custom build  would offer a greater array of accessories,proven mags and options available

Smart choice!