Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 45 Carry Optics

USCSBarney

Amazed I couldn’t find this idea already broached. I know it might take a while for the production qualification part f CO BUT...

How does this idea sound? Glock 45 with a lightened slide and milled for your sight of choice?

Sight length means nothing in CO. Slide is already down to G19 weight so lightning would be minimal. Full length frame for grip and stippled/undercut to your desire. If anyone makes a tungsten guide rod it would make a nice nimble package for minor rounds. 

Am I off my rocker on this or did my Black Rifle Coffee do too much damage again? 

I had a similar thoughts too. Do you think lightning cuts would make that big a difference? The material removed for the optic cut would somewhat make up for the weight of the optic.

I like the full frame vs a 19, the gen5 grip (no finger grooves), and even front slide serrations.

I've seen tungsten guide rods for gen5 G19's but I don't really know if the G45 slide is exactly the same as a 19...

You miss one of the latest advantages for CO in USPSA, no limit on ammo count just a mag size of 140mm.

9mm holds 22 rounds and locks back.  

Getting the 45 to minor is doable but takes a bit.  You can get 155 swc's or 175 swc's or 185 rn's to keep the velocities up.

Now if it's for SD, why not get a MOS?

My current CO is a G34 gen 4 MOS with a tungsten guide rod, I like it.  For a Glock weight is not an issue.

Have a M&P 45 2.0 I like and have shot minor in IDPA, pretty nice, and will in Production at some point as I carry it and want the trigger time under pressure.

Of course anything will be fun and worth while!!

pskys2, Glock 45 is a 9 mm pistol.

When I decided to go this route, Glock 45 wasn't available, but I bought Glock 19x almost as soon as it was released, and set it up for optic almost immediately. I now have two different slides for it, both optic enabled in different ways. G45 is even better option due to already cut front serrations and its gigantic magwell, but otherwise they are identical, sans the color. I am about 50 rounds shy of 5000, plus a bunch of dry fire since summertime. However, due to work and life schedule, and repeated failure of the optic that I have on this gun, I only shot one match. FWIW, after two months of dry fire I shot a CO classifier with it at exact percentage that my current Production percentage is. Except my Production guns are Stock and Shadow 2s and it took a couple of years.  There is a tungsten rod for it, Glockstore sells it, I think, and I fitted in a brass plug. Add brass Taylor Freelance mag extensions, and mine is 33 or 34 oz, I believe. I love how it shoots and how fast it comes back, and Gen5 triggers are superior to previous generations for my personal tastes. The only theoretic advantage that I can see with longer barrels is higher velocity and hence more margin for power factor. I myself just shoot hotter loads.  A friend, who is a member here, has done quite a bit of shooting with his G45, and competed some. He feels that it is superior for faster stages within 15 yards but he somehow still likes G34 for precision oriented stages even if both are set for CO. 

I dunno if I will stay with Glock as my CO platform but if I did. I'd get a Gl45 to go with my G19x and have it milled.

1 hour ago, YVK said:

When I decided to go this route, Glock 45 wasn't available, but I bought Glock 19x almost as soon as it was released, and set it up for optic almost immediately. I now have two different slides for it, both optic enabled in different ways. G45 is even better option due to already cut front serrations and its gigantic magwell, but otherwise they are identical, sans the color. I am about 50 rounds shy of 5000, plus a bunch of dry fire since summertime. However, due to work and life schedule, and repeated failure of the optic that I have on this gun, I only shot one match. FWIW, after two months of dry fire I shot a CO classifier with it at exact percentage that my current Production percentage is. Except my Production guns are Stock and Shadow 2s and it took a couple of years.  There is a tungsten rod for it, Glockstore sells it, I think, and I fitted in a brass plug. Add brass Taylor Freelance mag extensions, and mine is 33 or 34 oz, I believe. I love how it shoots and how fast it comes back, and Gen5 triggers are superior to previous generations for my personal tastes. The only theoretic advantage that I can see with longer barrels is higher velocity and hence more margin for power factor. I myself just shoot hotter loads.  A friend, who is a member here, has done quite a bit of shooting with his G45, and competed some. He feels that it is superior for faster stages within 15 yards but he somehow still likes G34 for precision oriented stages even if both are set for CO. 

I dunno if I will stay with Glock as my CO platform but if I did. I'd get a Gl45 to go with my G19x and have it milled.

Thanks for posting that write up. There are definitely some things going for the G45 platform in my opinion. Is the slide literally a G19 slide? Or are there differences?

Also, out of curiosity, which optic did you have issues with?

So I can weigh in on this...

I shoot a Walther POQ with a heavily lightened slide in CO. The DPP weighs 1.9 ounces, and I’m still 2 ounces lighter than a factory slide with it added. ;) 

The 4” PPQ is a “fullsize” which is roughly the size of a Glock 19 in terms of grip size, but with 1/2” more barrel length. I managed to get 5oz of weight into the backstrap with some tungsten weight before doing epoxy & grit to the grip, so it’s a wannabe limted gun.

Heavier frame, lightened slide... but still under 30oz.

The recoil is snappy. Most other guys with buttery soft heavy guns? Immediately remark on how fast and sharp the recoil impulse is. 

The dot movement REALLY lets you know if your grip isn’t at Fully Crush Grip status. Much moreso than iron sights do.

But she shoots:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MPF said:

Thanks for posting that write up. There are definitely some things going for the G45 platform in my opinion. Is the slide literally a G19 slide? Or are there differences?

Also, out of curiosity, which optic did you have issues with?

Glock 19X slide, which is a pistol that I have, is interchangeable with a Gen 5 Glock 19 slide. I don't think they are literally the same but the differences are in slide treatment and color. Functionally and ergonomically they are the same. My original 19x slide is milled for Unity Tactical Atom adapter system, and I have a Gen5 Glock 19 slide that has been directly milled for a Deltapoint Pro. I use them both on the same G19X frame.

With a disclaimer that I've not held and, hence, have not tested the G45 slide myself, I fully believe that it is interchangeable with both Glock 19x and Gen5 Glock 19 slides. I don't think it is exactly the same as it does have front serrations while those other two do not, although Gen5 G19 MOS slide does have the serrations and is also interchangeable with all of them.

The problematic optic was the Deltapoint Pro. It started losing the dot at approximately 2200 rounds on the Unity mount system. Leupold replaced the circuitry and the same problem reoccurred 2000 rounds later with the optic now directly mounted on a G19 slide. Leupold replaced the guts again, I've not shot it yet. Don't think it will do any better this time around as well. 

Not sure what the G45 slide weighs but killing for the optic would loose some weight. Just sure if enough. Optimum weight on an open gun slide is around 10oz. The use of a tungsten rod would bring the reciprocating weight (felt anyway) even lower as more weight is stationary in the hand. 130ish powerfactor should be easy as velocity loss from a 34 length barrel to a 19 length is minimal. I would wager if it makes 130 in a 34 it would still easily make minor (above 125) in a 45. 

When I pick up my open gun from Wheaton Arms I am going to run it by him to see if he agrees.

16 hours ago, YVK said:

Duhhhh just focused on the  "45", forgot about Glocks model designation, never really liked them and since I'm easily confused🤪 struggle with them!!!!

Usually I check things better, sorry.

Just looked at it and it does look good, I've thought of getting a gen 5 mos, would've done so instead of the gen 4 g34 but they weren't out yet and I haven't had any issues with reloads as is.  I tricked it out with Dawson Extended Pads and the Tungsten GR and Brass Plug it weighs same as yours and with a Johnny Glock trigger at 2 3/4# about as good as it can get, short of a 1911/2011.  I do like the look of the G45 Gen 5, trick it the same and it'd be great.  I had a G34 Gen 3 I first used for CO, used a JP Adapter for the JPoint sight, that adapter also works with the DPP I now have and might be an option short of milling the slide.

• 1 month later...

I have a G45 with a DP Pro, as well as G17 and 34 Glocks with the DP Pro, both MOS and direct milled by Primary.

While I like how the dot tracks on the short 19 length slide, overall I consistently shoot better with the 34. Same thing has been reported to me by two other friends that tried a shorter slide, then returned to a 34 for CO. 

Hello: I went the other way with my CO pistol. I had a G34 and have gone to a G17. The dot returns quicker for me into the glass and the accuracy is good enough. I will pickup a Gen 3 G17 to do a complete stipple job on and remove the finger grooves. I am using a gen 2 right now with no finger grooves. I have added weight into the grip and will add a tungsten guide rod as soon as it arrives. I went with a Brownells RMR slide when they were on sale last year. Thanks, Eric

Found a good deal on the G45 so I figured I give it a shot. Curious to experiment with the hybrid design in CO since there's no sight radius handicap to worry about.

I do also like how the 34 shoots too, so we'll see.

It sounds like a good idea to me. Same capacity as the full size and slightly lighter for transitions if that actually helps. Shorter sight radius means nothing if you throw a dot on it. I'm also surprised it hasn't been mentioned before. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 7:49 PM, MPF said:

I was totally ready to have my G45 milled for a DPP but now that I've seen the new Aimpoint ACRO being showed off at shot show I'm thinking I might wait for them to release.

While I don't have huge hopes, this is the reason I am not having anything milled for anything until I see the ACRO.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:49 PM, MPF said:

I was totally ready to have my G45 milled for a DPP but now that I've seen the new Aimpoint ACRO being showed off at shot show I'm thinking I might wait for them to release.

Acro looks huge being that it’s enclosed and if the price stays around the $600 price point, not worth it. I’d rather wait and see about the Romeo 2 pro with DPP footprint. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the 45 back. Haven’t shot it yet. May get to after work today just to sight in and mess with for a few mins. 

Def need to lighten up the trigger a bit though. Maybe just a minus connector and 5lb striker spring and call it good. 

23ED131E-16B2-4F13-9BCC-B8A1D84D0D7F.jpeg

Edited by Honeybooboo

On 2/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, Honeybooboo said:

Got the 45 back. Haven’t shot it yet. May get to after work today just to sight in and mess with for a few mins. 

Def need to lighten up the trigger a bit though. Maybe just a minus connector and 5lb striker spring and call it good. 

23ED131E-16B2-4F13-9BCC-B8A1D84D0D7F.jpeg

Nice! I really need to get my hands on a 45. Seems it would be great for both carry and the games.