Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Creeping / False Start

d_striker

4 hours ago, tacomandood said:

I doubt any shooter is out there hyper-analyzing this to find out when their beep is gonna be,  

If you're last in a squad, and listen to each start for the other shooters, it's not hard to pick up the timing if a particular RO always uses the same delay (and some do). It's not really hyper-analysing, it's just observation. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Now, I doubt any shooter is out there hyper-analyzing this to find out when their beep is gonna be

You have no idea how some shooters pay attention to the RO's timer cadence. It's a real thing. One of the things I learned early in my RO career, right here on these forums, is to stagger your count so shooters don't know in advance when I will hit the button. I still stay more in the area of 2-3 seconds. I never short beep and rarely wait 4 seconds. 4 seconds is a long time. LOL 

I could see that outside of a local match. Usually, we’ll switch the RO once or twice per stage depending on number of shooters and where they’re at in the lineup so I haven’t paid too much attention to that in the past. I’m usually talking to everyone else on the stage or double checking my mags during that time though. Guess that could give you a slight edge if you really focus on it.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:07 PM, d_striker said:

I think we're on the same page.  But to answer your question, I would consider any quick movement with either the hands (draw stoke) or feet (taking a step) to be an attempt to begin a COF.  I also consider both of those actions to be a false start if performed before the beep.  

I agree completely, which is why the "must draw gun and/or fire" drives me nuts. 

Some guy jerks forward and takes a step while dropping his hand to his gun, realizes he was reacting to the beep in the next bay and stops, the timer accidentally goes off in there somewhere---and I have to give him a procedural penalty in addition to the horrible run he is about to have?

Don't like it.