Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 9mm major barrel options

dvc4you

So I am willing to try (pay for) a new build in 9mm major on the shorter side. This gun will have two 3/16 popple holes and a Chelley Titanium compensator. The gun will be light (at least for now), plastic grip, aluminum magwell and short dust cover. I have two barrel options:

1) KKM Commander barrel overall length including threads 4.65”.

2) KKM Intermediate barrel overall length including threads 5.00”.

For those more experienced and wise, which one would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder if they're be ANY difference in two barrels that are identical

except one is 1/3" shorter ?

If there is, I'd go with the shorter one, because the 5" is only 1/2" shorter

than a standard barrel.  At least the shorter barrel would be a whopping

0.85" shorter than standard.

I also wonder how much trouble it will be to find a Major load for a short

barrel with 2 popple holes ?   Not much to work with …  

This would be a fun way to try out a shorty 9

Buying used is not an option, I have all the parts already, I just need a barrel.
Probably will go with the crowd the “mid size” route so 4.6” (5.0” overall with threads). If possible, I would like to keep using 3N38 and a commander barrel with 2 3/16 popples would make it difficult.

27 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

Buying used is not an option, I have all the parts already, I just need a barrel.
Probably will go with the crowd the “mid size” route so 4.6” (5.0” overall with threads). If possible, I would like to keep using 3N38 and a commander barrel with 2 3/16 popples would make it difficult.

I agree, I've found 2011 barrels to be slower than my CZ barrels and my KKM was the slowest.

First I’d call dan bedell and ask him to build me a 9mm shorty. Then I’d buy the barrel below. C/P ramp, hybricomp, 3 port rib with 2 ports machined, AET. 

http://www.schuemann.com/OnlineCatalog/SchuemannCatalog/tabid/91/c/barrels/p/co35ctm6/Default.aspx

Edited by 3gunDQ

Do you have a full length slide or a commander slide?

I have had or built several iterations of a gun like you are describing my preference after trying several barrel comp combos would be the brazos 4.5" trubor

Edited by BrianATL

3 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I agree, I've found 2011 barrels to be slower than my CZ barrels and my KKM was the slowest.

That is extremely weird to me, since KKM has been the consistently fastest of any that my group of friends own. And that is of lots of guns.

Do you have a full length slide or a commander slide?

I have had or built several iterations of a gun like you are describing my preference after trying several barrel comp combos would be the brazos 4.5" trubor

I have a full length Caspian slide that will need to be trimmed.

First I’d call dan bedell and ask him to build me a 9mm shorty. Then I’d buy the barrel below. C/P ramp, hybricomp, 3 port rib with 2 ports machined, AET. 

http://www.schuemann.com/OnlineCatalog/SchuemannCatalog/tabid/91/c/barrels/p/co35ctm6/Default.aspx

That is 160 dollars more, just to have a Hybrid barrel, I might buy a tungsten guide rod if added weigh is needed up front.

Besides is Shuemann still in business?

8 hours ago, dvc4you said:

That is 160 dollars more, just to have a Hybrid barrel, I might buy a tungsten guide rod if added weigh is needed up front.

I don’t know but the hybricomp is the sauce IMHO.

I have 5” threaded KKM barrels on my open guns, and my ammo is about 200fps faster than my STI barrels. KKM barrels have 3, 1/8” holes and the STIs had no holes

Edited by Bdh821

On 11/19/2018 at 10:43 AM, dvc4you said:

Shooters Connection will have KKM hybrid barrels for sale in the next few months. Commander, 5", and 5.4". Price should be a touch lower than SV as well. Schuemann is effectively out of business as far as I know.

Shooters Connection will have KKM hybrid barrels for sale in the next few months. Commander, 5", and 5.4". Price should be a touch lower than SV as well. Schuemann is effectively out of business as far as I know.

That is excellent news! More competition. Now I have 3rd option [emoji848]

2 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

Cool

i need to rebarrel my old super to 9 and have been looking everywhere for a hybricomp barrel

On 11/28/2018 at 11:01 AM, SSGJohnV said:

Great news..  KKM hybrid barrels...should be good

• 2 weeks later...

I'd Like to plug the Schumann barrel option, these guys are great and their barrels are pretty darn good as well.  I Need a new HybriComp Barrel and had a question, they actually called me answered my questions and then shipped me out my barrel without taking a credit card?? Wow, he said when you get the barrel send a check!!!  The barrel was great, fit in less then 2 hours.  rid was identical to old barrel, fit tight into the slide cut, Had to take less than .001 of hood width and length.  Lock-up was easy to get, lugs were not super sharp.  Just a great barrel and great exp.