Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's my presentation?

anonymouscuban

Hey fellas. So it's been a couple of weeks since I posted my original video. You guys were great and chimed in with some helpful feedback. Be honest, with the holidays and work, have not had much time to practice based on suggestions.

That said, here is a video of more presentation dry fire. This time from the surrender position. Also, I got a drop hanger for my holster. Still getting used to it but it feels more natural.

I've been focusing less on speed and more on getting a clean draw stroke with much less movement. Comparing this video to my last one, I notice dramatically less head and shoulder movement. I am more relaxed. I also am leaning forward a bit as it was pointed out that I was on my heals too much before.

Posting this up for more critique as the last was very helpful. Gonna take this out to the range in a couple of weeks to do some live fire practice. I want to get more dry fire practice with good technique before then though so looking forward to your feedback.

PS. One thing these videos have made me realize is I need to get back to exercising. Sheesh. Pretty out of shape compared to where I was a couple of years ago before I injured my neck and had to stop training.

https://youtu.be/sFNAeuKimJQ

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lots of head movement going on. Also this. Should be pretty much the exact opposite in terms of forward lean.
image.png.3801d66684aebb9985ab04b4cb45b518.png

It's tough to tell in the video but I would bet you aren't gripping hard enough with the weak hand. Also the sight is dipping as you pull the trigger on quite a few of those reps.

If you are working just the draw, I would like to see a lot more follow through at the end of the rep. Keep the gun out on target for an extra couple of seconds. Use that time to reflect on your grip, what you saw in the sights as you pulled the trigger, etc. 
[emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji1672]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

@anonymouscuban lower. Still more forward. Grip the gun much harder. Your handshake at shooting pressure should make the other man’s hand ache. Dryfire should make your forearms burn at first.

You progressed from leaning back... to being pretty much vertical on the second rep. 

Lean. Forward.

Bend. Knees.

It should feel unnatural and uncomfortable. You’re almost tipping forward. Your thighs should be burning. Then you’re low enough.

Most of us got up to B class or so before realizing grip and stance were in need of an overhaul and it’s an absolute bastard to reprogram yourself. Learn to stand low like an NBA player guarding an offensive player, and to grip like a beast right up front. You’ll be so much better off!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

[mention=66421]anonymouscuban[/mention] lower. Still more forward. Grip the gun much harder. Your handshake at shooting pressure should make the other man’s hand ache. Dryfire should make your forearms burn at first.

You progressed from leaning back... to being pretty much vertical on the second rep. 

Lean. Forward.

Bend. Knees.

It should feel unnatural and uncomfortable. You’re almost tipping forward. Your thighs should be burning. Then you’re low enough.

Most of us got up to B class or so before realizing grip and stance were in need of an overhaul and it’s an absolute bastard to reprogram yourself. Learn to stand low like an NBA player guarding an offensive player, and to grip like a beast right up front. You’ll be so much better off!

Thank you. I will work on my stance some more. Very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Three things:

1. Move less. Your shoulder and hips are swinging back-and-forth during the draw. Instead, draw from a stable physical platform (I'd also recommend the slight forward lean plus dip, as if you are about to run forward, as mentioned elsewhere, to both reduce wasted movement and give you better control over the gun.)
  2. When you holster, you stop at the retention position. There's no reason for this. Notably, a perfect draw is usually a holster in reverse. But you've added an unnecessary hitch to your holstering motion, so it's worth finding out why :)
  3. Can you pick up the sights earlier? As you move the gun to its apex, you want to see the sights before they come into view, so that you can make the final sight picture faster.

Props for putting yourself out there. This is a great way to improve.

11 minutes ago, shootmove said:

Three things:

1. Move less. Your shoulder and hips are swinging back-and-forth during the draw.

The best way to simplify this is to get entirely set in your forward, agressive shooting position. Completely ready to fire a fast string of shots.

Then holster the gun moving nothing but your arms.. place hands at sides... and draw.

Nothing moves except for your arms. You aren’t bending your knees at the beep to get low, leaning forward, and bringing your head down. This is competition shooting; you can have all of that done before the beep.

(Except for bringing your head down; make it a point to keep your head up and bring the sights to your eyes.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 months later...