Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's my presentation?

anonymouscuban

I've been working on my presentation. I recorded this video of some dry fire practice. This is as "fast" as I can go without feeling rushed and sloppy. Would love to hear some feedback. Be brutally honest please.

I'm trying to bridge a traditional tactical draw with a faster stroke but still avoiding anything bad like muzzling myself or fingering the trigger too soon in the draw, etc.

I am firing as soon as I got good sight picture and I'm on target. Using a scaled down version of a standard USPSA target.

IMPORTANT NOTE... my firearm has no magazine. Chamber checked several times. I have no ammo or magazines in the room where I am practicing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've been working on my presentation. I recorded this video of some dry fire practice. This is as "fast" as I can go without feeling rushed and sloppy. Would love to hear some feedback. Be brutally honest please.

I'm trying to bridge a traditional tactical draw with a faster stroke but still avoiding anything bad like muzzling myself or fingering the trigger too soon in the draw, etc.

I am firing as soon as I got good sight picture and I'm on target. Using a scaled down version of a standard USPSA target.

IMPORTANT NOTE... my firearm has no magazine. Chamber checked several times. I have no ammo or magazines in the room where I am practicing.

you can prep that trigger and break that shot a lot sooner than you're doing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

First I would suggest getting a dropped and offset or at least a drop for that holster. Check out the boss hanger.

Second if you tilt the holster back as in like this \ instead of like this / it will be easier to get your grip and not have to chicken wing your arm out so much.

Third. Get your support hand there sooner so you can have that grip established and start prepping your trigger sooner.

Doing good though! Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

you can prep that trigger and break that shot a lot sooner than you're doing

Prep as in get my finger in the guard sooner?

Hmm... I will try to see how I can do that but stay within my limits so that I'm safe. I've watched so many videos of guys popping off ADs into the dirt. I guess I'm a bit "gun shy". LOL sorry for the pun.
First I would suggest getting a dropped and offset or at least a drop for that holster. Check out the boss hanger.

Second if you tilt the holster back as in like this \ instead of like this / it will be easier to get your grip and not have to chicken wing your arm out so much.

Third. Get your support hand there sooner so you can have that grip established and start prepping your trigger sooner.

Doing good though! Keep it up!

I've been thinking about the boss hanger. I have my first match in January so trying not to buy too much before I have experience to know what I need/want.

One thing that I've improved a lot on is that I now get a consistent grip with every draw. I struggled with this a bit early on. Repetition is paying off here.

I've been thinking about the boss hanger. I have my first match in January so trying not to buy too much before I have experience to know what I need/want.

One thing that I've improved a lot on is that I now get a consistent grip with every draw. I struggled with this a bit early on. Repetition is paying off here.

Yeah so if you get your support hand there faster and get your full grip you can start prepping the trigger faster...you shouldn't have the problem of ADing with that DA first pull dry firing and getting it down will prevent any of that.

In the tactical world you’re going to be low with weight forward in something approximating a fighting stance when danger presents itself.

In a competitive scenario... oh hey! You still ideally want to beclow with weight forward in something approximating a fighting stance in order to best control recoil, drive the gun hard, and leave that position without adjusting your stance to push off explosively.

Bend your knees. Get your shoulders forward of your hips. If your thigh muscles aren’t burning a bit, you’re too tall.

A good shooting stance is work. Legs working to maintain a semi squat, forearms and hands feeling the burn from gripping the gun so hard.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

You appear overly relaxed before your draw...bent backwards almost. It may be advantageous to lean your upper body forwards a bit so you don't have to do it on your draw. Are your feet where they should be?
Thanks. Trying to balance speed with slop. Maybe I'm too relax.

As far as feet, I don't know what I don't know. I'm standing in a natural athletic stance. Feet about shoulder width apart. This is new stuff to me but I played baseball all my life so I'm standing how I would while fielding.

1 hour ago, anonymouscuban said:

Stop.

Just stop this, dear entire internet.

Please.

This isn’t the Delicate Gun-Owning Flower’s  forum on Facebook.

We believe you’re a mature adult, with no need to be swaddled in a safety diaper while he handles firearms.

The fact that everyone on YouTube feels an obligation to show a clear gun at length in every video is very depressing. Common sense implies it will be unloaded. If you’re dumb enough to handle it loaded, well, that’s your personal choice. And we get some very entertaining video out of it. :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Consider working with a shot-timer or other beep-maker.  A big part of the USPSA draw is reacting to the buzzer.  Smoothly cycling through a bunch of reps of a non-pressured draw is probably valuable, but you want to make sure it doesn't all fall apart just because you're going from dead-still to full-speed based on when some outside agency decides to say "go."  

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Stop.

I agree.  In fact, it's not an "IMPORTANT NOTE."  I knew the gun didn't have a round in the chamber the first time the OP pulled the trigger and it didn't go bang.  Reading it in advance didn't tell me anything I wasn't going to know via watching the video anyway.

Stop.

Please.

We believe you’re a mature adult, with no need to be swaddled in a safety diaper while he handles firearms.

The fact that everyone on YouTube feels an obligation to show a clear gun at length in every video is very depressing. Common sense implies it will be unloaded. If you’re dumb enough to handle it loaded, well, that’s your personal choice. And we get some very entertaining video out of it. [emoji3] 

Hear hear

Question. I am sure there will be a correct answer. But are guns holstered to stay vertical. To me, it looks as the second the gun comes out, it already breaks the 180 and pointed to the rear. Not entirely sure about this rule, curious. Just asking for a friend.

Stop.

Please.

The fact that everyone on YouTube feels an obligation to show a clear gun at length in every video is very depressing. Common sense implies it will be unloaded. If you’re dumb enough to handle it loaded, well, that’s your personal choice. And we get some very entertaining video out of it. [emoji3] 

Consider working with a shot-timer or other beep-maker.  A big part of the USPSA draw is reacting to the buzzer.  Smoothly cycling through a bunch of reps of a non-pressured draw is probably valuable, but you want to make sure it doesn't all fall apart just because you're going from dead-still to full-speed based on when some outside agency decides to say "go."  
I agree.  In fact, it's not an "IMPORTANT NOTE."  I knew the gun didn't have a round in the chamber the first time the OP pulled the trigger and it didn't go bang.  Reading it in advance didn't tell me anything I wasn't going to know via watching the video anyway.
Hear hear

This will prove helpful. Max wins nearly every USPSA match he enters:

Thanks for that guys. Made me laugh. I apologize deeply for my noting the fact that I'm not a complete and utter moron. Hahaha.

I'll take it one step further. You NEED to have a magazine around,  preferably with dummy rounds and snap caps loaded. Drawing the gun closer to "loaded" weight is a lot different, and needs to be part of the way you practice.
I can make this happen. Have snap caps o'plenty.

What everyone else has said above^^. I would also suggest on keeping your upper body completely motionless besides the hands and arms that need to move. You have too much bouncing around going on which leads to inconsistency. Once you have your index down good then you'll be able to draw while moving towards the first target just like you would stationary in dry fire.

What everyone else has said above^^. I would also suggest on keeping your upper body completely motionless besides the hands and arms that need to move. You have too much bouncing around going on which leads to inconsistency. Once you have your index down good then you'll be able to draw while moving towards the first target just like you would stationary in dry fire.
Can you explain the concept of "indexing"?

I think I know what this means but I want to make sure. I have a tendency to know more than I actually do. I hope that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

Can you explain the concept of "indexing"?

I think I know what this means but I want to make sure. I have a tendency to know more than I actually do. I hope that makes sense.

By "index" I am referring to drawing the gun and pointing it directly where your eyes are focused on the target. This also translates to transitioning to the next target and swinging the gun to where your eyes are looking. While you are working on isolating your draw, try to have zero wasted movements, this includes your torso/upper body.

By "index" I am referring to drawing the gun and pointing it directly where your eyes are focused on the target. This also translates to transitioning to the next target and swinging the gun to where your eyes are looking. While you are working on isolating your draw, try to have zero wasted movements, this includes your torso/upper body.
Thank you. It's what I understood it to be. I'm a little bit of a spaz by nature so I need to work on being more efficient with my movement as you guys have pointed out. Thank you.

So that fear can easily be erased by memorizing how much pressure on the trigger is needed to get your "wall". Sit on your couch and prep the living crap out that trigger.

Learn to get to that prep wall and practicing getting there and releasing. Learn it consciously so your subconscious mind can store it away. Then, practice pulling the trigger to the complete and breaking the shot so your sensory receptors in your finger and mind KNOW the difference between prep and pull.

The trigger should start being mounted when the gun gets to a 45° angle towards the berm.

Once you're parallel to the berm that trigger should be prepped ENTIRELY waiting to only break that shot the millisecond your sights line up to your desired sight picture based on target difficulty (open target vs no shoot vs hard cover)

It's all muscle memory that can be attained very quickly through repetition!!

Stop.

Please.

amen!!

Lots of head movement going on. Also this. Should be pretty much the exact opposite in terms of forward lean.

image.png.3801d66684aebb9985ab04b4cb45b518.png

It's tough to tell in the video but I would bet you aren't gripping hard enough with the weak hand. Also the sight is dipping as you pull the trigger on quite a few of those reps.

If you are working just the draw, I would like to see a lot more follow through at the end of the rep. Keep the gun out on target for an extra couple of seconds. Use that time to reflect on your grip, what you saw in the sights as you pulled the trigger, etc. 

Lots of head movement going on. Also this. Should be pretty much the exact opposite in terms of forward lean.
image.png.3801d66684aebb9985ab04b4cb45b518.png

It's tough to tell in the video but I would bet you aren't gripping hard enough with the weak hand. Also the sight is dipping as you pull the trigger on quite a few of those reps.

If you are working just the draw, I would like to see a lot more follow through at the end of the rep. Keep the gun out on target for an extra couple of seconds. Use that time to reflect on your grip, what you saw in the sights as you pulled the trigger, etc. 
Very helpful. Thank you. I will work on the things you mention.