Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drum Magazines for 3 Gun

TFT_Guns_Up

Legal, yes absolutely. I have never owned one, but have heard many stories of reliability problems. The  Magpul is pretty much the new gold standard. Mine has been perfectly reliable so far, although I don’t have a ton of rounds through it (probably close to 1k). I only use it when I need the capacity or if the length makes sense for going prone or whatever. I definitely wouldn’t recommend dropping it in the sand or mud if you can help it. Seems like it would suck to take apart and clean.

Edited by amccallister

To echo what everyone else has said... it depends. Pretty sure that UML doesn't have any restrictions on magazines in Tac Ops, and I don't think (though I'm less sure) that 3GN does either, but some outlaw matches will bump you to open for running a drum mag. I've personally never seen a match that would straight-up disqualify you for using one.

Don't know about the beta mag, but I picked up a D60 when I found a decent price on one, and I've been surprised by how much use I've gotten out of it. Honestly, I haven't run into too many stages where the capacity was completely necessary, but it is really handy for rifle stages that involve rooftops or other weird positions where a 30- or 40-round stick mag would be awkward, but you want more than 20 rounds....

• 4 weeks later...

I'll back up what everyone else is saying here.......the beta is legal BUT can throw you in a different division.  Best bet is to check the rule set at the particular event you are attending.  Having said that, you should definitely consider adding a D60 to your kit if you haven't already!!

19 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I was pretty happy with my current setup until I read this. Now I have to buy a D60. But first I have to explain to my wife why I need a D60😂

If I explained every gun purchase i made to my wife I would no longer be married.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I have to explain to my wife why I need a D60😂

As soon as the weather gets warm again, take your wife shooting, outdoors with a .22 rifle,

good eamuffs, and reactive targets.

You'll have to rein her in when she starts ordering more shooting equipment.     :)