Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rollsizer vs CasePro

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

40 tends to bulge more than most 9mm so I would probably use a push through on it.  I load 9MAJOR brass I pick up at major matches or buy cheap online or from local sellers when the price is right. I don't have enough problems with it to warrant anything other than using standard loading practices. 

I don't follow you on the case head separations because of bulged brass being prevented by roll sizing. If it bulges and gets straightened back out it is still a weak spot per say. And if you load a piece of bulged brass without fixing it most likely that won't pass gauge or chamber anyway .

I agree with you partially because as mentioned that was my reasoning as well, 9mm brass is a different beast so I am basing my findings on reloading 40 major only, which tends to bulge a lot more than 9 and it is pretty obvious to the eye.

Bulged brass will chamber and pass a gauge most of the time, it does not some of the time but in most cases a resizing die will make any bulged brass fit a chamber, this is the problem because once it is loaded and in my 'ready to shoot bin', I will probably end up firing it. 

Edit: The problem with this is that a sizing die will not size the web of the brass, instead it will push the bulge down and it will sometimes create an obvious crease on the brass, and this is were we see case failure separation. A roll sized brass has been brought to spec (I believe not exactly to factory spec but close, correct me if wrong) and therefore reducing the chances of case separation

Roll sized brass has a much longer lifetime than non roll sized brass according to the owner of Roll Sizer. I spent some time chatting about this with Kevin Whitehead, he is the owner of roll sizer and he would have a much better explanation about it than me as he can give you the dimensions of the brass once it is resized, but in a nutshell, they shoot .357 major loads and they can re-use that brass +30 times. I guess that is due to Australian regulations and the difficulties associated with finding shooting resources, bans on specific caliber, etc.

Long story short, it took me a long time to understand why it is a good idea to do it, but for me, after seeing too many people waste 2/3/4 thousand dollars in one click, not to mention my own safety by getting a metal shower, I will be definitely be investing in a roll sizer. It is mathematically a no-brainer.

Like many, my brass is picked up and who knows about the history of it.

Edited by Avenida

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless someone can explain the facts behind how rollsizing, push through, etc... is NOT beneficial, I'm not sure there is more anyone can add at this point. With regards to it being "totally unnecessary" the last response I can give is by quoting the late great Patches O'Houlihan, "Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste."

25 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

Unless someone can explain the facts behind how rollsizing, push through, etc... is NOT beneficial, I'm not sure there is more anyone can add at this point. With regards to it being "totally unnecessary" the last response I can give is by quoting the late great Patches O'Houlihan, "Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste."

I'm sure it can be called beneficial but it still seems like more of a want than a need.

Ok.

Rollsizing has the following advantages over push through systems.

1. Quicker, much quicker up to 6,100 cases per hour, try that with your arm.

2. Rolled Brass is sized to a factory dimension which is smaller than the rim in most calibres.

3. The bulge that leads to a mechanical crease is removed / rolled out evenly, there is no mechanical crease from roll sizing. Push throughs do this do a lesser degree but are limited due to the size. My cases bulge and have been reloaded 30-40 times, never had a case separated.  

3. Brass gauging pass rate is much better than push through dies.

4. The case body is rolled concentric to the rim and does not mark or damage the rim. An eccentric bulged case will get rim damage when used in a push through and the case body will not be concentric. This can lead to "rim lockup" that most people attribute to "rim bulge". Guns made to CIP standards (European made guns) have tighter breechface dimensions.

5. Rollsizing can accommodate most competition brass including rimmed cases 38super and 38spl and bring them back to the same size.

6. Yes it is more expensive than a $40 die. So is your $5,000 custom gun. So is the match fees, travel costs, TIME COST, oh, let's not forget the cost of just 1 jam in a match.

2 hours ago, Avenida said:

I agree with you partially because as mentioned that was my reasoning as well, 9mm brass is a different beast so I am basing my findings on reloading 40 major only, which tends to bulge a lot more than 9 and it is pretty obvious to the eye. YEAH, BULGED 40 BRASS IS WHERE THE TERM GUPPY BELLY COMES FROM.

Edit: The problem with this is that a sizing die will not size the web of the brass, instead it will push the bulge down and it will sometimes create an obvious crease on the brass, and this is were we see case failure separation. LUBE WILL OFTEN PREVENT THE CREASE. I EVEN SEE CREASES IN 9MM BUT THEY SEEM TO SHOOT FINE. I DUMP THEM IN THE PRACTICE/SCRAP BUCKET AND LEAVE THEM LAY AFTER FIRING.

Roll sized brass has a much longer lifetime than non roll sized brass according to the owner of Roll Sizer. IN THIS GAME THAT ISN'T REALLY CRITICAL. GENERALLY ENOUGH GETS LOST FROM MATCH TO MATCH TO MAKE LIFESPAN MOOT. I LOAD 9MAJOR OVER AND OVER AND PROBABLY HAVE SOME WITH 10+ LOADINGS BUT MOST IS LOST WAY BEFORE THAT.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 11:19 AM, sc68cal said:

I'm very happy with my mini rollsizer with DC motor that I purchased from Double Alpha.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8SXbnZu5VgYpYLiJ9

Does the clear tube and fitting that connects to the case feeder come with or did you make it. If so what did you use. Looks like and aluminum push in fitting?  Size ?

The tube and adaptor fitting (for a Dillon Casefeeder) is standard supply with all the rollsizers. 

The hose is standard PVC tube and is supplied overlength of customers, the aluminium adaptor is a push on fitting fitting that allows the tube to be cut to suit each customers requirements. too easy

• 1 month later...

Might be a dumb question, but is there any advantage to, or can you even, roll size nickel plated cases?

I get a lot of brass /nickel sourced from local LEOs who seem to love their nickel, and also use Glocks.  I generally haven't been using it for my Open gun, but was thinking of trying some.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, anbrumm said:

Anyone run the manual rollsizer with a drill, or is it worth the extra money off the bat to step right to the DC model?

I bought the manual because it will last almost forever.  Any electric one will have a life span no matter what and I'm cheap so I rather replace the drill than the unit.