Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rollsizer vs CasePro

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rollsizer is automated and more expensive.  

Decide if you want an automated rollsizer from the beginning or want to go manual.

Not sure on casepros current lead time but I did wait ten months for mine so if double check with roll sizer on their lead time from payment to setting at your door.

I actively own both, my case pro is not automated. Ill be selling the case pro (pm me if interested)

What do you specifically want to know? 

If you want automation I think the roll sizer is the way to go. I can leave the roll sizer running while I load primer tubes etc... and it cranks away for an hr without issue if brass is well sorted. I dont think a case pro would run as smoothly.

Case pro buys you reshaping of the case groove, roll sizer doesnt.

Roll sizer will accept brass right side up or upside down, case pro cannot.

Roll sizer can run at 6000 rph if you can feed it that quick, doubt you can get those speeds from a automated case pro.

Roll sizer is built solid, the motor is a beast, strikes me as "induatrial strength"

Regardless, both substantially reduced case gauge fail rate from my range brass.

The list goes on, tell me what you want to know.

I have owned both. Sold the Case pro 100 after I tested out the roll sizer.

Case pro 100 + automation from case pro

Price with 1 caliber = $2000 + Shipping

Caliber Conversions = $190-$350 per.

Output = 1,500/hr

Roll Sizer

Price with 1 caliber = $1800 Shipped

Caliber Conversions = $135 per.

Output = 6,100/hr

The roll sizer now has US based distribution - https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36

I have upgraded my case feeders with the Forcht motor upgrade. This allows me to max out the machine at 6100/hr.

IMO, its a no brainier to go with the roll sizer over the case pro.

I even got a 2nd roll sizer as I roll/clean brass for lots of local shooters. Easily over 1 million cases at this point.

4 hours ago, JatCarver said:

Thanks for the reply’s, I wasn’t aware the CasePro did the extractor grooves, that strikes me as a pretty good advantage? 

It seems like a good thing, probably helps correct some bad cases. I'm several thousand cases through the roll sizer and haven't seen any negative impact on my case gauge pass rate. So is it an advantage, I think so, have I noticed it as an advantage yet? No. If I were doing it again at this point would rolling grooves sell me one way or another? No, I'd still get the roll sizer.

4 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

I have owned both. Sold the Case pro 100 after I tested out the roll sizer.

Case pro 100 + automation from case pro

Price with 1 caliber = $2000 + Shipping

Caliber Conversions = $190-$350 per.

Output = 1,500/hr

Roll Sizer

Price with 1 caliber = $1800 Shipped

Caliber Conversions = $135 per.

Output = 6,100/hr

The roll sizer now has US based distribution - https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36

I have upgraded my case feeders with the Forcht motor upgrade. This allows me to max out the machine at 6100/hr.

IMO, its a no brainier to go with the roll sizer over the case pro.

I even got a 2nd roll sizer as I roll/clean brass for lots of local shooters. Easily over 1 million cases at this point.

The Rollsizer with Dillon case feeder upgrade seems like the way to go. I’m having a hard time imagining the Dillon case feeder running at over 6k a hour, is it reliable with this upgrade? 

Just now, JatCarver said:

The Rollsizer with Dillon case feeder upgrade seems like the way to go. I’m having a hard time imagining the Dillon case feeder running at over 6k a hour, is it reliable with this upgrade? 

Yes it is pretty reliable. The one hang up Ive run into is when a case gets lodged in sideways and the cases collect in the funnel up top. This is a Dillon case feeder issue on the whole, not just this motor upgrade. Im sure you have run into this same issue with the stock one every so often. 9mm im able to feed fast enough to keep up with the roll sizer when all 6 pins are in (6,100/hr, Each pin removed reduces the roll sizer speed by 1,000). 40 cal I can keep up most of the time but sometimes it will lag behind the roll sizer speed. 40 cal drops at around 5500/hr on average. Sometimes it keeps up fully, sometimes it doesn't.

I use a small pistol plate for 9mm and large pistol plate for 40.

Apologies for my ignorance on the subject. Besides bringing the case back to specs, would roll sized cases coupled with a Mark7 press yield more consistent OAL throughout mixed brass? I currently sort brass by headstamp, just use 3 of them and there is a (significant?) OAL difference between the three, and the obvious plenty of bulged cases that wouldn't pass the Hundo case gauge.

If I can get all the other brass headstamps to easily achieve similar OAL by roll-sizing and using the U-Die, FCD and M7, would be great.

This being said, I now use a U-die and a Lee FCD that helps some with the bulging, though it will never be the same as a roll sizer. I guess I am trying to find out (perhaps justify?) if there are additional benefits by getting one. FYI, I only reload 9 and 5.56

Edited by LowBoost

I have way less than a 1% failure rate in 9mm just using a Udie. I know guys love gadgets but I just couldn’t justify either machine just to catch one out of every 2-300 that fails gauge.

11 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Apologies for my ignorance on the subject. Besides bringing the case back to specs, would roll sized cases coupled with a Mark7 press yield more consistent OAL throughout mixed brass? I currently sort brass by headstamp, just use 3 of them and there is a (significant?) OAL difference between the three, and the obvious plenty of bulged cases that wouldn't pass the Hundo case gauge.

If I can get all the other brass headstamps to easily achieve similar OAL by roll-sizing and using the U-Die, FCD and M7, would be great.

This being said, I now use a U-die and a Lee FCD that helps some with the bulging, though it will never be the same as a roll sizer. I guess I am trying to find out (perhaps justify?) if there are additional benefits by getting one. FYI, I only reload 9 and 5.56

I can only tell you my experience. I roll everything, process it on my 650 with a mighty armory decapping die, a dillon resizing die, and a redding re-sizing die, brass then gets wet tumbled cleaning the primer pockets. I then convert the 650 over for loading (now have an Evo Pro I'm setting up). I do not separate any of my headstamps. My target OAL is 1.13", I typically see 1.27" to 1.33".

Edit: meant to write 1.127" to 1.133"

Edited by Smithcity
Corrected error

9 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Thanks Sarge! Just as I suspected. ;)   I'll just save my money and just buy more brass and/or bullets. Haha

For now, I am just using FC, Win, Speer, Rem brass. All other is separated in different 5gal buckets.

Just for the record, Not trying to talk you out of anything. I love buying stuff as much as the next guy. Hell, I use a PAL filler when most think that’s just crazy expensive and I’m buying a friggin $40 funnel just so I can pour brass into my wet tumbler faster!🤓

But when talking thousands of dollars compared to a $25 die I just can’t see it.

7 hours ago, Smithcity said:

I do not separate any of my headstamps. My target OAL is 1.13", I typically see 1.27" to 1.33".

Can you validate there is no typo in your achieved OAL? I would not be happy if I get 14 thousand or 2 hundred of a difference from my target OAL.

I know 5 thousand are OK, but usually, anything over that drives me nuts. 

Sarge:

Not talking me out of anything, no worries. I saw your post about the funnel and I actually may jump on your offer. Give me a few hours and I'll get back to you on that.

About the roll-sizer, I agree with you. If I am not going to get any other benefit (that I can somewhat achieve already) from it, I am not spending that much.

There are other goodies (unfortunately, more expensive) that I can put that money towards to. :)

Who knows, maybe down the road.

Well Thanks everyone for the help, I ordered a rollsizer and the forcht case feeder motor upgrade this morning. 

While my case gauge failure rate was pretty low to begin with (0.5%) it is almost always the rim that is th issue. 

Also just started shooting 9major (about 30-40k/year) so roll sizing can’t hurt. 

Should also make the press run a little smoother so that’s a added benifit. 

Not sure if it’s a justified purchase but I’ve spent stupider money that’s for sure. 

Edited by JatCarver

1 hour ago, LowBoost said:

Can you validate there is no typo in your achieved OAL? I would not be happy if I get 14 thousand or 2 hundred of a difference from my target OAL.

I know 5 thousand are OK, but usually, anything over that drives me nuts. 

Shouldnt post late at night when im tired, sorry. 1.127" to 1.133".

Edited by Smithcity

I got the Rollsizer a few months ago. I have rolled at least 10 five gallon buckets of 40 and 9 through it and have zero complaints. That thing is a beast and has shown no perceived wear. 

To be totally honest, a rollsizer machine is total overkill for a single practical shooter. The machine is fast enough and robust enough to serve a viable roll in a full time ammo manufacturing environment. 

If you are interested in the Rollsizer it would make more sense to get a group of local shooters to all go in on it. If you got 5-10 local shooters to pitch in on the purchase it would make the individual cost very easy to justify. Even with 10 shooters sharing a Rollaizer it wouldn’t be a problem keeping up. 

4 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I got the Rollsizer a few months ago. I have rolled at least 10 five gallon buckets of 40 and 9 through it and have zero complaints. That thing is a beast and has shown no perceived wear. 

To be totally honest, a rollsizer machine is total overkill for a single practical shooter. The machine is fast enough and robust enough to serve a viable roll in a full time ammo manufacturing environment. 

If you are interested in the Rollsizer it would make more sense to get a group of local shooters to all go in on it. If you got 5-10 local shooters to pitch in on the purchase it would make the individual cost very easy to justify. Even with 10 shooters sharing a Rollaizer it wouldn’t be a problem keeping up. 

Ehh, it feels better to not deal with other shooters and just have it all to yourself!