Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighted my Canik TP9SFX in today.

Drtheo

I was able to pull in a semi rapid fire (1 shot per 3-4 seconds) 20 shot group of 2.68 inches at 25 yards.  I have to say I am pretty happy with that out of a bone stock gun that can be had for under $500 new.

This was with a box of Wolf military classic that came with the pistol as well.

Edited by Drtheo
To add ammo type

Have fun with the gun. That's a pretty impressive group standing unsupported.

I had one and swapped some springs to get it running with my handloads before I ended up selling. Decent polymer gun for the price, I sold mine cause I didn't like shooting with a slide mounted dot that much. Guy I sold it to ran it through a match without any issues the next day, hah. 

Edited by Harlow
Forgot a word

Yep, I done all the tests (I don't use the SpringCo anymore)... An aftermaket 14# spring would be perfect BUT no one sells one that I could find?....The 13# spring is borderline , generally worked but not good enough for competition. My fix, just cut 3/4 coils of the stock recoil spring.. Easy to do  (i've posted how).

Well I have changed the striker spring out to a 6.5 ghost Glock spring and the slide closes fully on a 13 pound spring.

I also swapped out the firing pin block spring for a Glock reduced power spring.

And swapped out the trigger for the freedomsmith racer.  I love trigger feel.

I am a bit disappointed in the spring swap.  My pull weight is still around 4.25 pounds.  About the same as when I started the mods.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:55 PM, kooyahdesigns said:

I just got the TP9SFX. Where is a good place to buy magazines? I am planning on shooting it for production. 

I picked up some mags for my wife for production on prepperguns ... they had the cheapest century arms mags.... 

On 11/15/2018 at 10:13 PM, Drtheo said:

I tried a 13 lb Glock 17 gen4  stainless recoil assembly today.  It failed to return to battery when held vertically.  So I swapped the spring out for a 15 lb spring and it passed the test.

For the 13 lb spring and as guide rod to work you must install a 5.5 power flick striker. Stock strike won’t let it go into battery

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 12:09 AM, Drtheo said:

Well I have changed the striker spring out to a 6.5 ghost Glock spring and the slide closes fully on a 13 pound spring.

I also swapped out the firing pin block spring for a Glock reduced power spring.

And swapped out the trigger for the freedomsmith racer.  I love trigger feel.

I am a bit disappointed in the spring swap.  My pull weight is still around 4.25 pounds.  About the same as when I started the mods.

The problem is likely the extra tension on the trigger return spring that occurs from how the FreedomSmith trigger positions the trigger return spring. Pull out the trigger return spring and add a number 2 spring ring to the spring loop and then reinstall it. The split ring will add just enough length to return the TRS to normal tension. Your trigger pull should drop about 0.75lb to 1lb.  It will not change the trigger position, reset, etc so it will feel the same but much lighter. 

On 11/27/2018 at 4:22 PM, Mlussoro said:

For the 13 lb spring and as guide rod to work you must install a 5.5 power flick striker. Stock strike won’t let it go into battery

I used the Ghost 6.5lb striker spring with no problems. The stock striker spring is definitely a no go - it is seriously overpowered. I tried to get a reading for the stock Canik striker spring and it went over the max on my gauge so it is over 9.5lbs.

• 4 weeks later...

I went with the 6lb Ghost firing pin spring in mine, with an NDZ Glock guide rod, and 15lb spring. Works great on 115gr. Just tried some 124gr, and the slide wasn't fully feeding the next round reliably. Think I need to move to the 13lb for those. Otherwise, the gun has run flawlessly. Looking to pickup another.