Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open....sight recommendation and other questions

BigBamBoo

Hi Folks.

So, after years of my eye sight declining I went from limited to PCC. The dot brought my mojo back and I am having LOTS of fun again.

But....I really miss pistol shooting. I am in Calif., where we are VERY limited on the handguns we are able to buy, so open guns are hard to come buy. Usually if you find one, it has been "well used". I was lucky enough to find a older Briley El Presidente that has less than 50 rounds through it so I snapped it up.

It has a old Leupold / Gilmore red dot on it now, so that has got to go. So now I am wondering should I go with a C-More or a RTS/micro dot type sight. And if a C-More, straight mount or 90 degree mount?

The pistol is chambered in 38 Super but it seems most set them up for super comp. I get the whole rim vs rimless thing, but is it that much of a deal to just shoot super?

Any other advice for a newbie to Open???

38 sc brass, it may function as is, mine do. If not ajust extractor or get an aftec for sc brass.

I've gone the Gambit on sights. Back to cmore slide rides for open and sig Romeo 1 6 moa or dpp for co

The first thing to find out is what hole pattern the mount is, if it’s a c-more pattern then you’re good to go, if not you’re ether drilling the frame or finding a blank mount and getting it drilled

as far as a red dot, go with a mini Red dot sight, a rts 2, DPP, trijicon RMR, if you can, go to you club and ask to to look thru all of them and pick one

as far as super vs comp, your gun may work with both, it might work with super or it might work with comp, the only way to find out is to shoot it

the biggest advantage of comp brass is that it feeds better, but regular super is cheaper 

I measured the mounting holes for the sight bracket and they look to be .375” c-c so I am guessing they are standard Cmore pattern. But...it is only a three hole pattern. So will need to have the frame drilled and tapped for the extra mounting holes of the new mounts.

i have shot and looked through C-more slide ride, Delta Points, Vortex, etc. I personally like the look of a micro dot. Just seems much more clean and streamlined. 

Edited by BigBamBoo

Three holes are all you need to fasten a frame mount securely.  The other two are ostensibly for a thumb rest.  I'd shoot SC.  

I have a frame mounted Slideride on one of my open pistols.  I have a frame mounted DPP 2.5 on another.  I also have competition guns with the reflex sight mounted directly on the slide.  The Slideride dot is 2" above the bore, so you have to make corrections for close targets.  I really prefer slide mounted dots.  I have had no zero issues with either the RTS2s or the DPPs when slide mounted.  However, I am told by a couple of M Open shooters that the only dot you can depend on holding zero when shooting major if the DPP.  That's what is going on both the Open guns I'm currently building.

I have used both the Cmore Slideride and the Cmore RTS2.  Both have worked very well for me.  I am currently using the Cmore Slideride upright.   It is the same sight option I use on my JP GMR-15 PCC rifle.

21 minutes ago, Slide4949 said:

I wished the DDP would come in a bigger dot, like a 8moa.

Shoot a gun equipped with one first, don’t go by the spec sheets online.

The 2.5 MOA looks nearly as large as the 6-8 on most guns once it’s turned up to max brightness. The DPP is extremely bright compared to the slideride and RTS2. 

I’ve never had the slightest bit of trouble picking up mine, and two locals have bought one after trying mine out.

I cant say much about the ammo choice, but for the dots I am a big fan of the RTS2. I had the DPP before and had a few issues. But, I know others that can say the reverse, so my recommendation is to pick the one you like the best. :) Helpful, right?

Starting to dip my toes into Open, and I've been kind of curious about this as well. On the subject of dot sizes: up until now, I've only really used red dots on rifles, so I've been using 1-2 MOA dots on everything. I have astigmatism, so I've just kind of always dealt with those starbursting on the higher brightness settings. I recently grabbed a 4 MOA dot that was on sale to run on a PCC, and it seemed like it was much less prone to that kind of distortion.

Is that, like... a thing? Am I just making that up, or has anyone else noticed that as well? Because if this is a real thing, then yeah, I'm on the 4/6/8 MOA dot train 4 lyfe.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:52 PM, BigBamBoo said:

I measured the mounting holes for the sight bracket and they look to be .375” c-c so I am guessing they are standard Cmore pattern. But...it is only a three hole pattern. So will need to have the frame drilled and tapped for the extra mounting holes of the new mounts. 

Are there two more holes on the other side?  If so, it could have originally had a Serendipity, or the SVI mount.