Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stages getting Thrown Out at Major Matches..... Lets fix this problem

CHA-LEE

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thread I've seen in a while. Love the 3 suggestions you can follow as a shooter, 1 complain, 2 offer to run/help next event, 3 don't shoot at that club. I have a hard time accepting #3...but I have to, I don't have the time or energy to fix everything I don't agree with. But if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, so I choose my events carefully.
Some small clubs holding level 1 events are content to cut corners, look the other way for a new shooter, etc. You can quickly become "that guy" eating lunch at a private picnic table (or worse) for pointing out those problems.
Level 1 match committees need to travel a bit, get a taste of well run events, have the support at their own club and be motivated to do the same.
A good RO needs to do the same. If you only RO level 1s at your local club, there's probably a lot you haven't seen. I think there are ROs who believe a fair stage is when all competitors do everything exactly the same just some are faster or more accurate. Lol.
Looking forward to another great year ahead, hoping to make it out to the range more, more matches, big matches and better finishes, stay safe and have fun.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Not getting your stage thrown out is not all that difficult. I made a promise that I would never have a stage thrown out over something I did or failed to do when I should have. So far after 40 years I haven't lost one yet.

The trick is to know the rulebook, understand the concept of running a stage, and when in doubt ask someone higher on the pay scale than you. Pay attention to your targets, no-shoots, hard cover, props and walls. Make sure, as much as possible, that the last shooter had the same challenge as the first shooter.

Try to treat others like you would like to be treated.  I have let my temper get the best of me on rare occasions and I felt like crap afterwards. Apologies were quick to follow.

Work your crew as a team. Tell them how you work and explain to them what is expected of them in return. We all work to make our stage a success.

Dont be afraid to admit you might be wrong.  Evaluate every call. Replay it in your mind, check the rulebook, talk to your crew. They might have had a better view than you did. When all is said and done make your call based on the best available evidence and the rulebook.

Happy New Year!

Staff-shoot vs Regular-Shoot discrepancies are the largest issues at L2 matches I've seen lately.  A number of stages that were tossed and more that should have.  When regular competitors shoot the staff day it gets even more complex, especially if the RM is also shooting for score.

I'd rather the RM didn't shoot for score and was 100% available on staff day, but failing that, assign an assistant-RM for staff day that is empowered to make calls that affect the entire match and be binding for the remainder of the match (consulting with the main-match RM as needed).  They need to record what they do and don't rule on and make sure it gets communicated.  Give all the staff day squads a radio and tell them not to be afraid to use it.  If you have staff that aren't going to shoot, make sure somebody that did is nearby when they start out in the morning of the main match.

On a similar note "standing anywhere in the box" starts are easy to run, but can be annoying for competitors that don't get there the day before and walk stages and have it all drilled in.  Suggestion here is to make it fairly obvious where the good start positions are rather than some wide-open fest.  Nationals this year did pretty well at this.

The whole 'default' start confusion needs to be officially addressed.  It sort-of has, but needs to be written down in black and white in the rules.

1 hour ago, shred said:

On a similar note "standing anywhere in the box" starts are easy to run, but can be annoying for competitors that don't get there the day before and walk stages and have it all drilled in. 

Prior preparation prevents poor performance :) .

I love the maximum freedom of choice stages and the process of figuring things out. Not arguing, I appreciate that others may feel differently, it is likely good that different matches tend to follow different philosophies and favor different skill sets. My "annoying" is the stages with no good options and a 40 yard dash for no particular reason.