Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Leading with Hornady 124gr FMJ RN bullet ?

SeattleDude

hey guys

I have few cases of Hornady 124gr FMJ RN .355 bullets. FMJ is of course open lead base.

How bad does the comp lead? Never ever tried shooting exposed led base bullet out of open gun.

I could just shoot them in my 9 Minor .... but I am going to full Open next season ....

Currently shooting MG CMJ out of Atlas Chaos. Switched from DP JHP due to being tired of cleaning damn corn cob out of HP LOL.

4 minutes ago, drewbeck said:

Why tumble HP at all after loading?

I lube my brass lightly with Lanolin/IPA when I load it. It then goes into untreated corn cob for about 30 min to clean off the lube.

PS. I bought about 10k of Precision Delta JHP 124s and most of them have corn cobb/cleaning media stuck there anyway. Some had bunch, some little. I contacted PD and they replaced them, but now about 30% of them still had media inside that sometimes work it way out of the bullet during shooting, get in the chamber and cause FTF/out of battery condition. So the solution was to blow them all out with compressed air as I case gauge them in my hundo gauge... well that got old. So I am DONE with PD. I guess that is how they roll.

Interesting on the 124’s, I haven’t had the issue with 115’s, that would get old quick for sure.  I lube but just roll on a rag as I’m gauging and haven’t had a detrimental issue to tell me I need to tumble them after loading, may be something to consider but doesn’t resolve the issue of media there to begin with.

7 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

Hornady 124gr FMJ RN .355 bullets. 

How bad does the comp lead? 

I shot MG FMJ's for first couple years from my TruBor, and the comp 

required surgery ….  :(

Lots of folks here spray the comp before shooting, and then brush out the residue.

I can't be bothered.

I shoot bullets that do NOT have exposed lead base.

Lot easier.

If you paid the money for a Chaos - trade off or sell those FMJ's and stick with unleaded   :) 

On 11/13/2018 at 5:08 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Lots of folks here spray the comp before shooting, and then brush out the residue

I'm switching over to JHP's from Hi Tec Coated. There is some crud in my comp but not so much to affect accuracy or function. Is there a spray I can use to prior to shooting JHP's that will blow the crud out?

On 11/16/2018 at 6:09 AM, 191138sc said:

I'm switching over to JHP's from Hi Tec Coated. There is some crud in my comp but not so much to affect accuracy or function. Is there a spray I can use to prior to shooting JHP's that will blow the crud out?

Well, I started swabbing the chambers of the comp with Kroil before and after shooting a match. It’s been helping to blow out the carbon buildup from the chambers. This tip came from a fellow shooter who shoots coated bullets in his open gun on a regular basis. 

Before using Kroil, I was using Clean Fire but the results weren’t showing so I stopped using it until the Kroil tip. 

Still have to scrape off some buildup though it’s easier.