Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

I went to the range today and chronod a few rounds.

These are with the RMR 124Gr Hardcore Match Hollow Point plated bullets noted earlier:

image.png.320246905cdaff3bda36b17540e73b65.png

Notes: 9.8 grains Shooters World
Shots: 10
Average: 1362 ft/s
SD: 24 ft/s
Min: 1307 ft/s
Max: 1391 ft/s
Spread: 84 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 168
Power Factor Low: 162
Power Factor High: 172
Barometric Pressure: 30.1 in Hg
Temperature: 29F
Weight: 124 gr.

image.png.e272bb0a628cf14915840eb77dc12542.png
Notes: 10 grains Shooters World
Shots: 9
Average: 1403 ft/s
SD: 21 ft/s
Min: 1357 ft/s
Max: 1424 ft/s
Spread: 67 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 173
Power Factor Low: 168
Power Factor High: 176
Barometric Pressure: 30.1 in Hg
Temperature: 29F
Weight: 124 gr.

An interesting note:  The higher velocities in the first string were using Remington 1.5 SPP, the rest were Fiocchi SPP.  Conversely, the two lower velocity shots in the second string were with Fiocchi SPP primers and the rest with the Remington 1.5 SPP. 

Also, the chrono didn't pick up my double tap on the last two rounds of the second string, that's why it only shows 9.
Edited by clw42

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@clw42 curious to know what your OAL is and what pistol you're using.

I've spent the last few days doing load development for 9major and one of my loads is very similar to what you posted. 

I'm using RMR 124JHPs, over 9.5gr of major pistol powder with CCI SPP.  I'm running an OAL length of ~1.10 and shooting these from a Czechmate.  This gets me to ~171PF.

Seems you're needing more powder to get there, so I'm guessing you might have a pistol with some poppel holes in the barrel or maybe a longe OAL.

BTW, the profile of the RMR doesn't allow for a very long OAL in my czechmate.  I have 124 PDs (JHP) and Bayou (coated) 124s that allow me to load longer than the RMRs. 

Sorry, I totally forgot to include that information

Gun is a Czechmate with a throated barrel.  OAL is 1.163

I actually had the barrel throated to accommodate the RMR 124 JHP's at 1.165, which means there's plenty of room for pretty much anything else considering their profile.

23 hours ago, clw42 said:

Gun is a Czechmate with a throated barrel.  OAL is 1.163

The longer OAL explains why you're using more powder than I am.  Interested to see how you like this load.  In addition to this powder, I'm also testing AA#7 and WAC.  Once  I get these loads dialed in, I'll be looking to compare feel and dot bounce for each.

13 hours ago, muncie21 said:

The longer OAL explains why you're using more powder than I am.  Interested to see how you like this load.  In addition to this powder, I'm also testing AA#7 and WAC.  Once  I get these loads dialed in, I'll be looking to compare feel and dot bounce for each.

It's okay.  I've only tried this and WAC so far.  This is a little messier around the press and it's definitely dirtier.  I do notice a difference in the response of the comp though, but that should be a given with all this powder in there.  I did a rapid fire of 10 rounds at an 8" steel plate from 26 yards and didn't have a miss.  I didn't time it unfortunately.

I also ran 30 more through the chronograph:

10 grains Shooters World 124 gr RMRJHP
Shots: 30
Average: 1389 ft/s
SD: 13 ft/s
Min: 1364 ft/s
Max: 1416 ft/s
Spread: 52 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 172
Power Factor Low: 169
Power Factor High: 175
Barometric Pressure: 30.4 in Hg
Temperature: 32F
Edited by clw42

I don't find it feels any different that HS-6.  My motivation for using this powder is availability in 8 pound jugs and cost.  HS-6 locally is $32.99 pound and I can only get it in one pound cans.  The 8 pound jug I have was $23 a pound.

Did some testing today 58*  Shooters World Major Pistol

Czechmate

Major Pistol 9.2gn 1.155 OAL  125gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1332 Power Factor: 166

Major Pistol 9.4gn 1.155 OAL  125gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1367 Power Factor: 170

Major Pistol 9.6gn 1.155 OAL  125gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1381 Power Factor: 172

Major Pistol 9.8gn 1.155 OAL  125gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1404 Power Factor: 175

Major Pistol 9.8gn 1.145 OAL  115gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1387 Power Factor: 160

Major Pistol 10gn 1.150 OAL  115gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1418 Power Factor: 163

Major Pistol 10.2gn 1.155 OAL  115gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1433 Power Factor: 165

Major Pistol 10.4gn 1.155 OAL  115gn Blue Bullet

Average FPS: 1475 Power Factor: 170

I noticed some unburnt powder in my gun when I cleaned it this week.  I'm not sure which test string it's from, but it's from one of the two I posted.  If I find it's from the recent string, the one I will most likely end up using for my load.  How do I make sure I get it all to burn?  I've never run into this before.

Based on CZ85's data above, I may try changing my OAL to 1.155.  Would that help with the unburnt powder?  I'm assuming I'd then be packing the powder down a little with the bullet.  At my current 1.165, the bullet seems to sit just on top of the powder.

48 minutes ago, clw42 said:

I noticed some unburnt powder in my gun when I cleaned it this week.  I'm not sure which test string it's from, but it's from one of the two I posted.  If I find it's from the recent string, the one I will most likely end up using for my load.  How do I make sure I get it all to burn?  I've never run into this before.

Based on CZ85's data above, I may try changing my OAL to 1.155.  Would that help with the unburnt powder?  I'm assuming I'd then be packing the powder down a little with the bullet.  At my current 1.165, the bullet seems to sit just on top of the powder.

If you shorten up your OAL it will raise pressure and increase your FPS/PF.  I find that I get a cleaner burn with a shorter OAL and I do not have to use as much powder to get the same PF. I am going to an 1.145" - 1.150" OAL, but my test loads were very clean and as clean as the 3N38 & N350 I have used. In fact looking at my cases they could be reloaded with out tumbling.  I think it is ease to use to much Major Pistol powder as it is very dense so large charges weights are easy and the volume of gas may over power the comp with lots of gas going out the front of the comp.  Shorting the OAL and using a little less powder I think will help.

3 hours ago, CZ85Combat said:

If you shorten up your OAL it will raise pressure and increase your FPS/PF.  I find that I get a cleaner burn with a shorter OAL and I do not have to use as much powder to get the same PF. I am going to an 1.145" - 1.150" OAL, but my test loads were very clean and as clean as the 3N38 & N350 I have used. In fact looking at my cases they could be reloaded with out tumbling.  I think it is ease to use to much Major Pistol powder as it is very dense so large charges weights are easy and the volume of gas may over power the comp with lots of gas going out the front of the comp.  Shorting the OAL and using a little less powder I think will help.

Awesome, thanks!

Okay, I'm getting pretty decent results with this powder, but does anyone else have an issue with it making a mess of their press?  I don't get any spillage when indexing, but when I'm done with a loading session there's a powdery mess all over the place.  I can't tell where it's coming from, as it's not obvious while reloading, but clearly it's coming from somewhere.   I may take a video to see if I can spot the 'problem'.  It's not a huge deal, but it's a little annoying.  I typically don't have to clean my press of powder all that often. 

1 hour ago, tyman1876 said:

Mine spills a little once in a while when I index the press. Nothing to crazy tho

Yeah, I get a mess.  I'm going to see if I can take a video with my phone.

13 hours ago, dvc4you said:

I changed to the Arredondo Powder bar, and no spills...

So far I've only gotten it with this powder.  I've used WAC, HP-38, CFE 223, CFE Pistol and several others, and I'd maybe have to clean the press off (just a dusting or a quick vacuum) every 1k or so rounds.  With this stuff, it's after every couple of hundred.  Admittedly, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my gear clean, so what passes as a 'mess' to me, might be nothing to a normal person.  But after watching it a bit last night, it seems as though some powder leaks out of the drop when the charged case is lowered from drop die.  I don't have any sticking or herky jerky stuff going on, it's almost like a shutting a faucet off and still getting a couple of drips.  So maybe the Arredondo powder bar might help.  Or maybe I ignore it and soldier on.

Edited by clw42

If it's coming from the powder bar, this should fix for you. This is a very fine grain powder - powder bar can't be loose (vertical).

That’s a dead link when I click on it. I started using the Hornady LnL powder measure for really fine powders when loading rifle, but I’d like to find a solution for the Dillon with pistol.

As you know the really fine powder gets in between the powder bar and the powder measure. Gums it up and leaks. PIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loaded up some more rounds this weekend. I did 124 gr PD JHP with 10.0 gr Major Pistol. 

I can't tell a difference between this or any other load. 

I've shot several different loads multiple times now and can't feel a difference. Don't know if that's because of my comp or what.