Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

Worked up to 9.8 grains which got me to where I wanted to be right around 172-173 power factor.  The warm load was indoors at 70 degrees then kept in my truck with the heater on until ready to shoot.  The cold load was kept outside in the bed of my truck for a couple hours until shot.  The difference wasn't huge but could be a factor if you like to keep it close.  After getting the load to where I wanted it I loaded 100 rounds and shot a few drills.  Liking this powder so far.  May have found my replacement for HS-6 and WAC. 

CK Arms Thunder Open with KKM barrel and three holes.  Ammo loaded on Dillon 650.  Winchester once fired brass and Winchester SPP.  Everglades 124 grain JHP.

Created: 12/11/18 14:48
Description: 9.8 Major Pistol cold
Notes 1: Win Brass
Notes 2: Win SPP
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 124.00
Temp: 28 °F
BP: 29.78 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1376    521.40  170.62 
9    1382    525.96  171.37 
8    1371    517.62  170.00 
7    1384    527.48  171.62 
6    1382    525.96  171.37 
5    1372    518.38  170.13 
4    1375    520.65  170.50 
3    1376    521.40  170.62 
2    1392    533.60  172.61 
1    1360    509.35  168.64 
Average: 1377.0 FPS
SD: 8.7 FPS
Min: 1360 FPS
Max: 1392 FPS
Spread: 32 FPS
True MV: 1378 FPS

Created: 12/11/18 14:40
Description: 9.8 Major Pistol Warm
Notes 1: Win Brass
Notes 2: Win SPP
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 124.00
Temp: 28 °F
BP: 29.78 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1392    533.60  172.61 
9    1398    538.21  173.35 
8    1394    535.13  172.86 
7    1384    527.48  171.62 
6    1399    538.98  173.48 
5    1399    538.98  173.48 
4    1391    532.83  172.48 
3    1395    535.90  172.98 
2    1381    525.20  171.24 
1    1385    528.25  171.74 
Average: 1391.8 FPS
SD: 6.5 FPS
Min: 1381 FPS
Max: 1399 FPS
Spread: 18 FPS
True MV: 1393 FPS

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this data, I have the same gun and am looking at picking up an 8 pounder of this powder Black Friday along with a case of Everglades bullets. I’m probably sticking with 115’s though so I’ll post up what I find when I get it. Got a couple more pounds of HS-6 to burn through but I’m looking forward to the extra gas and lower price of this powder. 

I too have the same gun. I loaded up a test batch and fired 10 rnds. I got around the same velocity but with a 115 gr bullet. 

Temp was 52 degrees. 

10 gr Major Pistol

115 HAP @ 1.160"

10' to chrono. 

I also shot my WAC load that got me the 170-171 pf I expected. 

Edited by B_RAD

I've only been using it a short time, but I can say it is a lot cleaner than HS-6, at least in a 172PF load.  Never used AA7, so I can't comment.  Another thing to like is it needs more powder, so you get more gas.  It is more pleasant to shoot than WAC or HS-6.  10 gr fills the case a little less than 9.4 gr 3N38.  My current plan is to use up the WAC and Silhouette I have for minor Steel loads.  HS-6 is way too dirty at minor, so I'll sprinkle what I have left in the garden.  Going forward, my plan is to use up my 3N38 for minor and stick with 37.1/Major for major.

Edited by zzt

I've only been using it a short time, but I can say it is a lot cleaner than HS-6, at least in a 172PF load.  Never used AA7, so I can't comment.  Another thing to like is it needs more powder, so you get more gas.  It is more pleasant to shoot than WAC or HS-6.  10 gr fills the case a little less than 9.4 gr 3N38.  My current plan is to use up the WAC and Silhouette I have for minor Steel loads.  HS-6 is way too dirty at minor, so I'll sprinkle what I have left in the garden.  Going forward, my plan is to use up my 3N38 for minor and stick with 37.1/Major for major.

So you’re using 10gr and highhope is using 10.5. I was going to start testing at 9gr but from your numbers I’m thinking that’ll be a little low. Maybe I should get a little closer to 10?

Play it safe and start low.  Every barrel is different.  My main Open gun will not eject anything lower than 160PF.   So I start low with a new powder.  I load up 3 or 5 rounds for each step of the ladder.  Then I go shoot them.  When the load just dribbles out I know I'm at 160-162.  I keep going until the load feels 'right'.  Then I load up some more and chrono.

Play it safe and start low.  Every barrel is different.  My main Open gun will not eject anything lower than 160PF.   So I start low with a new powder.  I load up 3 or 5 rounds for each step of the ladder.  Then I go shoot them.  When the load just dribbles out I know I'm at 160-162.  I keep going until the load feels 'right'.  Then I load up some more and chrono.

Great advise. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so this is a little crazy to me.  I posted this in another thread, but thought maybe this was a better place for it:

I'm having a hard time even making major.  I'm currently loading some RMR hollow point match winners, plated, 124gr, 9mm bullets.  This is through a Czechmate with a throated barrel, loading to 1.165.  I've gone up to 7.4gr of WAC and I'm only at 1240FPS. 

I've also tried this Shooters World Major Pistol, and I've gone to 9.9 grains and I haven't even broken 1200FPS.  I'm standing somewhere between 10-12' from the chrono (Prochrono Digital).  Using Fiocchi SPP and Remington SPP.  I didn't record anything because I hadn't even gotten close to 1330 FPS.

Any thoughts?  Not sure how to "calibrate" or 'Confirm' the chrono.  Maybe use some factory ammo?  I'm completely new to major and making minor never seemed  like a problem.  I just used a friend's chrono to confirm and stuck with the same load all the time. 

Edited by clw42

Okay, so this is a little crazy to me.  I posted this in another thread, but thought maybe this was a better place for it:

I'm having a hard time even making major.  I'm currently loading some RMR hollow point match winners, plated, 124gr, 9mm bullets.  This is through a Czechmate with a throated barrel, loading to 1.165.  I've gone up to 7.4gr of WAC and I'm only at 1240FPS. 
I've also tried this Shooters World Major Pistol, and I've gone to 9.9 grains and I haven't even broken 1200FPS.  I'm standing somewhere between 10-12' from the chrono (Prochrono Digital).  Using Fiocchi SPP and Remington SPP.  I didn't record anything because I hadn't even gotten close to 1330 FPS.

Any thoughts?  Not sure how to "calibrate" or 'Confirm' the chrono.  Maybe use some factory ammo?  I'm completely new to major and making minor never seemed  like a problem.  I just used a friend's chrono to confirm and stuck with the same load all the time. 

Yeah doesn’t sound right. 7gr of autocomp has me at a 169pf and 9.7gr of Lovex is the same. I’d compare with your friends chrono if you can. Also are you sure your powder scale is accurate? Do you have a weight to test it?

3 hours ago, tyman1876 said:

Yeah doesn’t sound right. 7gr of autocomp has me at a 169pf and 9.7gr of Lovex is the same. I’d compare with your friends chrono if you can. Also are you sure your powder scale is accurate? Do you have a weight to test it?

I did calibrate the scale using the weights provided, and it seems fairly accurate based on bullet weights as well.

I guess I'll have to try someone else's chrono.

5 hours ago, clw42 said:

I'm currently loading some RMR hollow point match winners, plated, 124gr, 9mm bullets. 

Something is wrong with this statement.  RMR makes Match Winners, Hollow Points, and plated bullets, but not a combination of any of those things. 

12 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

Something is wrong with this statement.  RMR makes Match Winners, Hollow Points, and plated bullets, but not a combination of any of those things. 

That's the take away here?

Sorry I got it wrong, they're actually (from my invoice):

9mm 124 Gr. RMR Hardcore Match Hollow Point RR Plated
Count: 1,000

Hello: You guys that are using Major Pistol should also try Ultimate Pistol as well. It is very close to Winchester Auto Comp in powder drops and is clean burning. For Montana Gold 121 grain bullet at 1.170" OAL I am only using 6.9 grains to give me 171-173PF. Dot tracking is very good also. Thanks, Eric

As it turns out, when the batteries start to fail on my digital scale, it doesn't calibrate properly.  Just for gigs, I threw a 124gr bullet on the scale again.  Came up as 147.6, now my numbers start making more sense.  Maybe I have 147's and not 124's...didn't really think that was the case, but anything is possible.  Grab some 124's from other lots, and the same thing.  Crap, the calibration is off.  Recalibrate again...same thing...WTF?!?!  Maybe the scale is junk.  I decided to try plugging it into the wall and calibrate one last time.  Now it works...everything is reading as it should.  What I thought were 9.9gr loads of Shooters World were actually 8.4.  So what I thought was 7.4gr of WAC was likely closer to 5.9gr

So, lesson learned here is I won't be relying on the batteries in my scale.  I threw a fresh set in, but I'll use the wall wart from now on.

Now to start all over again with my loading ladder.  I have 8 pounds of Shooters World, so I won't make it back to WAC or anything else for a month or so. 

11 hours ago, tyman1876 said:

Glad you figured it out. Maybe investing in a beam scale just to double check with when things start looking weird would be a good idea. Better safe than sorry, especially with something like charge weights.

Yup - added to the list of must gets. 

On 12/20/2018 at 8:08 AM, clw42 said:

That's the take away here?

Sorry I got it wrong, they're actually (from my invoice):

9mm 124 Gr. RMR Hardcore Match Hollow Point RR Plated
Count: 1,000

They are all such different profile bullets that it affects the way they need to be loaded.   You must have bought them quite some time ago if you got the plated hollowpoints because they've been discontinued for quite some time.  I just wanted to make sure you were using the bullets you thought they were. 

23 hours ago, clw42 said:

As it turns out, when the batteries start to fail on my digital scale, it doesn't calibrate properly.  Just for gigs, I threw a 124gr bullet on the scale again.  Came up as 147.6, now my numbers start making more sense.  Maybe I have 147's and not 124's...didn't really think that was the case, but anything is possible.  Grab some 124's from other lots, and the same thing.  Crap, the calibration is off.  Recalibrate again...same thing...WTF?!?!  Maybe the scale is junk.  I decided to try plugging it into the wall and calibrate one last time.  Now it works...everything is reading as it should.  What I thought were 9.9gr loads of Shooters World were actually 8.4.  So what I thought was 7.4gr of WAC was likely closer to 5.9gr

So, lesson learned here is I won't be relying on the batteries in my scale.  I threw a fresh set in, but I'll use the wall wart from now on.

Now to start all over again with my loading ladder.  I have 8 pounds of Shooters World, so I won't make it back to WAC or anything else for a month or so. 

When you zero your scale with the powder pan on it, keep track of the negative reading on the scale when the pan is not on it.  That gives you a frame of reference from one load session to the next.   On my Gempro 250 it reads -110.98gr when my metal pan isn't on it, and if it reads anything else I recalibrate.  

I have just started using Shooters World Major Pistol powder in my Czechmate.  I loaded up some steel loads using Blue Bullets.

115gn Blue Bullet  8.4gn Major Pistol @ 1.130 Avg fps 1170

125gn Blue Bullet  8.4gn Major Pistol @ 1.155 Avg fps 1182

I loaded some 115gn Blue Bullets at 9.0gn Major Pistol @ 1.150 I did not chrono yet but they shot well at a steel match.

This powder is loud but makes lots of gas.

They are all such different profile bullets that it affects the way they need to be loaded.   You must have bought them quite some time ago if you got the plated hollowpoints because they've been discontinued for quite some time.  I just wanted to make sure you were using the bullets you thought they were. 

Yeah, I've had them for ages.  They were tucked way in the back of my cabinet.  Figured they'd be good fodder for working up loads.

When you zero your scale with the powder pan on it, keep track of the negative reading on the scale when the pan is not on it.  That gives you a frame of reference from one load session to the next.   On my Gempro 250 it reads -110.98gr when my metal pan isn't on it, and if it reads anything else I recalibrate.  

Ironically, that's exactly how I kept an eye on things today (was in and out of the loading room a few times).  I also used a bullet to confirm that nothing had drifted...I'll be keeping an eye on this stuff from now on.  I blindly trusted the tech to work.  I also need to get a decent analog scale as well, just for sanity checks.

I did manage to get over to the range today as well, and at 9.4gr I was right on the uncomfortable edge of 1330FPS.  So I'm thinking 9.5 or 9.6 should get me there consistently and comfortably.  I loaded some of those up today, now I just have to chrono  them.

Edited by clw42