Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 9mm bullet question

mofosheee

Hello........Rookie re-loader with a couple of thousand rounds of 9 and 45 under my belt. Know enough to be dangerous. 

Seeking advice on loading https://store.tjconevera.com/po9mm12fpplb.html bullets but unable to find specific information anywhere. 

Powders on hand are Accurate #2, #5, #7 and Titegroup. 
Historically my Berry's 115gr RN & 124gr RN; plunked, chambered, rotated and 
ejected just fine in my Springfield EMP @ 1.150"

The PowerBond 124gr FP presented problems at 1.150". Shortening the COAL to 1.09"ish 
gave me the above results. 

Question is how to calculate how much to step back the powder charges to remain safe?
I realize I need a chronograph. Would someone suggest a product for me? 

Thanks all!

Edited by mofosheee
inaccurate info

I presume you're loading 9mm Minor (PF 125 - 140) - in that case, you probably will have

no problem loading at 1.09" and won't have to decrease your powder charge.  BUT, it's

always a little safer to drop the charge by 0.3-0.4 grains, Just In Case   And work up

slowly with your new chrono.    :) 

I use the $79 Chrony - it measures how fast my bullets are going - doesn't make ice cubes,

but it does give me velocity and PF    :) 

Since you're new to reloading, be careful with Titegroup.  Titegroup has a small case volume and it's easy to mistake the charge and double charge the case.

As Jack mentioned, start light and work your way up.  It's good to load 10 or so cases at the desired weight and chrono the rounds for functionality, accuracy and power factor.  Once you find the desired load, it's a good idea to test an additional 20 or so rounds.  Not sure where you are from but weather plays a big role in the Power factor.  Hot and cold weather will definitely give you different readings, make sure you take that into account as well.

I'm using a Pace scale for measuring powder and a Dillon progressive with a powder check to load.  Periodic checks of powder weights performed.  Occasionally observing a +/-  .1 grain departure from intended powder weights.  Overall the system is accurate and reliable but I keep re-verifying weights. 

I'm going to follow; https://www.hodgdon.com/titegroup/ loading data.  Plug in the numbers for 124gr bullet gives me 3.6gr starting and 4.1 max.  BUT this is for a COAL of 1.15". Because I'm a chicken and erring on the side of caution I'll load a 5(ea) starting at 3.1 and work up from there.

Chrono is in the mail

THANKS ALL

@mofosheee I have found titegroup NOT to be particualrly sensitive to OAL; backing a load of 4.0gr titegroup and 124 FMJ which was at 1.150” all the way down to 1.110” resulted in a negligible increase in velocity.

It came up a few points worth in powerfactor; little enough I’m comfortable saying you wouldn’t be doing something dangerous.. but enough that I’d definitely chrono and adjust.

Your finished load at 1.125”-1.150” with a plated 124 and titegroup likely be around 3.8 to 4.0 grains. Depending on how long & fast your barrel is, and if you’re the kind of guy who likes to load to 125.001 powerfactor... or up around 135, like I do. ;) 

(Spoiler alert: the difference between 128 and 135 power factor with a 124 is almosy exactly 50 fps. With the same powder and bullet you *cannot* feel the difference in recoil or muzzle flip. Load a bit hotter, it only helps you.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Also one more thing:

9mm brass has a tapered wall: the first .300” up at the mouth is thin and designed to accomodate the width of the bullet. Seat a bullet deeper than that, and you may notice brass bulging and failing to pass a case gauge much more frequently.

I say this as motivation to stick with shorter bullets like 124s when loading to 1.090” or thereabouts. If you stuff a long 147 that deeply into the case? That’s when you run into the above issue much more frequently.

Agree, longer would be better.  I'm in Colorado!

Bulging observed, but they passed plunk and twist test.    Thinking this is not the right round for this gun.

Went to the range with 10 test rounds you guys helped me with.  No indications of excessive pressures observed.  Two failures to eject (too light on powder?)  Yes, I started at 3.6 grains and worked up to 4.0. 

The 4.0gr titegroup  with the Hornady 124 XTP's @ 1.09" were no problemo in all respects.  Thinking that I should scrutinize my cases better i.e. same manufacturer  

Edited by mofosheee
accuracy

Please price similar bullets, only real JACKETED, from Precision Delta (tjconevera and RMR should also have real jacketed bullets). I find that ordering 2000+ of PD is usually less than the plated bullets and accuracy is improved quite a bit.