Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 trigger sticking

DKnoch

Just traded a gun for a well used stock 2. Gun is great, but the mags have Springer basepads and sometimes when dryfiring the trigger gets stuck back. When I use my mags which are newer and have PD basepads, this has not yet happened. Is this the phenomenon of magazines being over inserted? I have not live fired the gun yet, but this issue has only happened sporadically and only with the mags with Springer basepads. Im probably just going to get more PD basepads, so everything I have is consistent anyway. Or is it maybe a warn trigger return spring? I'll probably go through and swap out springs on both anyway since the year is about over

Lots of people buy the reduced power TRS or stretch the stock one for less resistance. You might be in that grey zone between working and sticking.

I’d clean it and change the trigger return spring and see what that does. I never broke a trigger return spring in my Stock 2s and shot it plenty for four years. I don’t think they’re as fragile as it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I’d get new mags every year. Check CDNN for mags - they typically run some good deals for the large frame tanfo mags. I replace everything when they’re on sale so I’m not worried about playing with a hammer and feed lips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, wav3rhythm said:

And I’d get new mags every year. Check CDNN for mags - they typically run some good deals for the large frame tanfo mags. I replace everything when they’re on sale so I’m not worried about playing with a hammer and feed lips.

Not being snarky, but loading 17 round mags to only 10 rounds (12 rounds for practice sessions) and dropping them on hard surfaces an uncounted number of times never causes me any reliability issues.

I've never changed a spring or follower in a 9mm mag large frame or small frame and never replaced a mag for reliability issues. Some of them do let a round slip when I drop them with bullets in them but they still work fine in the gun. 

That is strictly speaking CZ and Tanfo though, and I've torture tested the small frame mags a lot more than the large frame, maybe I will eventually start to see issues with the large frames. When I shot 2011's I had issues if I did not keep an eye on dimensions. 

Hate to talk about reliability, can remember one FTF over the course of this year, practice and match and cheap range brass, and that problem was self induced. 

Here is a picture of one weighted and tight sprung practice mag.  it replicates the weight of and force required to seat a full up mag. I've been concentrating on doing reloads (hour a day) since early September. thousands of drops on cement . large frame mags are pretty tough!

There is a spot where the trigger bow can rub on the mag.  its on the "funnel" area and if it is over inserted or something, it will drag on the trigger bow. 

Could be the bow, the mags or the  mag release button.  close inspection should reveal the culprit.

20181111_094441.jpg

Here is a picture of one weighted and tight sprung practice mag.  it replicates the weight of and force required to seat a full up mag. I've been concentrating on doing reloads (hour a day) since early September. thousands of drops on cement . large frame mags are pretty tough!

There is a spot where the trigger bow can rub on the mag.  its on the "funnel" area and if it is over inserted or something, it will drag on the trigger bow. 

Could be the bow, the mags or the  mag release button.  close inspection should reveal the culprit.
20181111_094441.thumb.jpg.b7017aff88eef89e6a819e3c69edc4db.jpg
Great info as always, thanks John. I suspect over inserted mags, as I have never experienced this before and it hasn't happened yet with my previous mags in my new (to me) Tanfo. I'll check out those spots and see if I can pinpoint the area