EricW

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baahhhhhh! <_<

182730541-S.jpg

182738488-S.jpg

Why don't you just start shooting USPSA with a flintlock?

<inset ZH thinking Merlin needs to get with the times!!! >

:devil:

He may be behind the times but you have to admit, he has cute legs...LOL

Not going there!!!

Baahhhhhh! <_<

182730541-S.jpg

182738488-S.jpg

Why don't you just start shooting USPSA with a flintlock?

<inset ZH thinking Merlin needs to get with the times!!! >

:devil:

He may be behind the times but you have to admit, he has cute legs...LOL

Not to drift the thread more, but with the bulldozer in the background, it that the reason Merlin bought a tractor..he wanted to help do the dirt work on his new casa...Nice Merlin...

Z, what is your take on Merlin's bow taking a lion...?

Not going there!!!

I can't believe I clicked on this thread a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe I read all the replies. I knew I should stop. I didn't.

Just got the new, handmade longbow USPS Priority. Headed to a new (to me) archery range in Tarpon Springs tomorrow. Seems the old range in Tampa has closed.

All I need are a few arrows, etc., and more etcs. Maybe I'll take the old target compound bow with all the 10 year old bells and whistles along. Just "in case", you understand.

Can't believe I did this. Not like I don't have enough hobbies with handguns, rifles and my newfound skeet/5stand/sporting clays addictions.

Boy, am I gonna have fun! :rolleyes:

Bob

I can't believe I clicked on this thread a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe I read all the replies. I knew I should stop. I didn't.

Just got the new, handmade longbow USPS Priority. Headed to a new (to me) archery range in Tarpon Springs tomorrow. Seems the old range in Tampa has closed.

All I need are a few arrows, etc., and more etcs. Maybe I'll take the old target compound bow with all the 10 year old bells and whistles along. Just "in case", you understand.

Can't believe I did this. Not like I don't have enough hobbies with handguns, rifles and my newfound skeet/5stand/sporting clays addictions.

Boy, am I gonna have fun! :rolleyes:

Bob

Now were talking...Who made it? Lets see a picture. :cheers:

A high performance bow still does between 230 and 240 fps AMO. They try to inflate the numbers by using IBO ratings but....

Okay, I'm dying here. "AMO" stands for Air Mass Zero, right? But what does "IBO" stand for?

International Bowhunters Organization

Standard is 30 inch draw, 70 lb and a 350 grain arrow.

I picked up a Browning bow some years back and have never fired it. The problem is, and I didn't know all that much about bows at the time, I needed one of those curved pieces of aluminum that moves the cables away from the main cable so that I can fire arrows. It didn't come with it as I suspect it was a display bow and they didn't have the box or anything. Probably why it was cheap. I tried to have onemade by my cousin, but somewhere along the way he lost the piece of aluminum I had to bend for it. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like this?

Otherwise it's just a big paperweight.. :(

I picked up a Browning bow some years back and have never fired it. The problem is, and I didn't know all that much about bows at the time, I needed one of those curved pieces of aluminum that moves the cables away from the main cable so that I can fire arrows. It didn't come with it as I suspect it was a display bow and they didn't have the box or anything. Probably why it was cheap. I tried to have onemade by my cousin, but somewhere along the way he lost the piece of aluminum I had to bend for it. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like this?

Otherwise it's just a big paperweight.. :(

I would call browning directly. They probably can direct you in the right way.

Well, made it to the Tarpon Springs range about noon, then found it didn't open till 3:00! So I drove to the east side of Tampa to Arrowhead Archery. I used to shoot my Bear compound target at one of their ranges ten years ago, but now they only have the one and it's an hour+ away because of traffic. (See how this fits right in with "What I hate")?

But after I got there I had a great time. The other customers were very nice, everyone admired the long bow and seemed to think it was neat. The folks at the shop made arrows up for me, checked out my old target bow and my wife's as well (I had forgotten she shot a lefty since she is left eye dominant). Everyone was just as nice as I remembered archers to be. I learned about a stringer (back in my mispent youth we just stuck our leg through, bent the bow and hooked the string on-apparently this is now considered a no-no). BTW-if you think most "shooting" sports are nice to the "new shooter", you haven't tried trapshooting. I just can't say enough about how well everyone treated me, both employees and other shooters.

Then it was time to shoot and I actually didn't embarrass :wub: myself (too badly, anyway). My best group of six arrows (the range is approx. 20 yards) had four together just below and right of the aiming point, the other two, OTOH, were to the left and one was high, the other low. But at least I kept them on MY target and didn't hit the floor or ceiling one single time. This is a LOT harder than the modern bows with sights, weights, etc.

The bow was made by Dean Marlow, from Tennessee, and he mostly sells wood to make them yourself. It is a real primitive type (at least to me), you shoot off your hand and there's only a thin piece of leather around the grip. It's all hickory and I like it. They recommended a glove or tab at the shop, but being the "real man" I am, I just used bare fingers. Now, of course, I have blisters (sometimes I'm a bit on the slow side) and will buy a glove next time I go.

I had a great time.

Bob :)

EricW,

The link in your first post didn't work for me. Is this it:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=ML12/189.0

be

Yup! That's the one. Martin must have redone their site. Never sprung for the bow. Got confused by all the options and frustrated by availability and did what I normally do: nothing. :P

Learning to shoot a shotgun all over again is taking up most of my time anyway... :)