Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm Build Hybrid Barrel Question

15schneiderjd

Hello,

I'm currently building a 10mm Officer size 1911 and am looking into ways to slow down the slide speed to harness the 10mm. I figured you open gunners have the most knowledge on hybrid barrels and real world experience. 

I know that a threaded compensator would probably be best at slowing down the slide speed, but I'm trying to keep this build as small as possible. I'm going to use a 24lb recoil spring, maxed out main spring, flat firing pin stop along with some sort of hybrid barrel.

Schuemann offers circular holes and rectangular holes on the hicomp, which would be best at slowing the slide down. Are these hybrid barrels noticably affective at slowing the speeds down? The holes look like they would be good for porting, but without a real expansion chamber I would think they wouldn't be as as good as a compensator. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

My question is what’s the point?

it sounds like you’re wanting a heavier hitting carry gun? If so porting and/or comps will make you and anyone around you more deaf than you would have to be.

If you’re wanting the 10mm power you’re way better off getting a .357 jframe or .44 snub.  Round count will be almost identical if not so, and inherent reliability issues will almost be non existent.

on the other hand if your answer is “because I want one” then as an open shooter, we typically don’t try to slow down the slide, rather we try to reduce the impact force of the slide at both ends of the cycle, this is done with a lighter slide and typically as light of springs as possible to ensure reliability. There’s some nuances within that rule with how you tune the springs and FPS but in general we don’t want to slow down the slide, we want it to disrupt the sight picture less.

knowing your goal would make it easier to help you out with your question

Thanks for your advise drewback! I love the 10mm and would like a concealable officer size carry woods gun. My goal is to make this build feed reliably, so I need to slow the lightning fast slide down. And I'm just not sure if the hybrid or hycomp barrel can do that effectively?

i was hoping to find this out before I dump a load of cash on this project 

Hmmm so 2 things would be at work here to my way of thinking. When you cut a slide for a hybrid rib the metal you remove from the slide is mostly counter balanced by the metal in the rib.  Since they both move back together at the start of the recoil cycle I wouldn't except that much slowing of the slide velocity due to that (though things change when the barrel links down and unlocks and now you do have a somewhat lightened slide. )  The other thing at work here is that since you are stripping off some of the gas that would exit the muzzle which reduces the rocket effect that should act to slow the slide some. Now if you put a comp on the barrel that increases the weight of the slide/barrel system. I would expect that to slow the slide (in addition to the effect of recoil reduction due to redirecting the gas)

Edited by caspian guy

Thanks for your advise drewback! I love the 10mm and would like a concealable officer size carry woods gun. My goal is to make this build feed reliably, so I need to slow the lightning fast slide down. And I'm just not sure if the hybrid or hycomp barrel can do that effectively?

i was hoping to find this out before I dump a load of cash on this project 

Why or what makes you believe you need to slow the slide down to begin with?

A fast slide is going to be more reliable due to the inertia of the shorter lighter slide with regards to being able to strip a round from the mag. Having said that, you need to ensure the mag spring gets the round into position quickly (ie fresh mag springs) and ensure there is minimal friction points on the ramp and into the chamber.

Think about the time it takes a slide to fully cycle back 1.5” vs the time it take a mag to move a round vertically .40” (roughly).

Slide speed has little to do with this equation, it’s much more about ensuring smooth and consistent feeding and ejection.

Your essentially asking how to make a .38 super feed as reliably as a 9mm open gun.....no one asks that question because 38’s length and feed angles are inherently easier to make work consistently.

If it is was me, I’d look for a used shorty 38 super or 9x25 if you want to have a hand cannon and have a GS cut the comp and barrel back. Or buy a Glock subcompact.

If you don’t want to sink a bunch of money into the adventure of having an officer 10 custom that’s reliable, I’d say you will gambling for sure. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compact .45s are inheritantly problematic with their short light slide. My compact .45 won't function without a 24lb recoil spring and a square firing pin stop. Anything less and my strong spring magazine can't keep up with the fast slide. This is a very common issue with compact 1911s. Now add a 10mm into that equation and you have a very big issue with slide speed. If this was a 5" long heavy slide this wouldn't be a problem. It's definitely pushing the 1911 to its limits. And this might be impractical but for me it is enjoyable hobby. My thinking is i can either put an external compensator on it and it will probably run fine. But I would prefer to save the length and use an integral schuemann hycomp if I can get my hands on one. Or maybe an SVI hybrid, but I'm not sure how effective those options are. I guess there's only one way to find out. I'll let you know if it works out.

Slowing the rearward movement of the slide is only a small portion of the perceived problem you are identifying. What you suggest or think is happening that your mag spring cannot move the round up fast enough for the slide to catch and chamber it is more of a forward slide speed problem. This could be caused by a bottoming out recoil spring not allowing the slide to move far enough back and with a strong recoil spring the dwell time is to short to pick up the round. I have several compact 1911s in 9 and 45 and they all have functioned fine without making modifications or changing springs.

As to adding a comp or barrel holes to decrease slide travel speed, you are trying to apply a product or feature that has never been intended nor was designed to meet that criteria. The total mass of the moving object along with a proper springs is what needs to be studied. A lightened shorty open gun slide speed is probably faster than most guns but the timing and dwell time is what makes them work not the comp or barrel holes.       

Thank you for your wisdom on this subject jrb06. I will look into the springs on my compact 45.

I understand that a compensator or ported barrel aren't intended to slow down slide speed. But that is a side effect of using a compensator. It delays unlocking time, and thus slows down the slide speed. Allowing you to use a lighter spring.

After I put a compensator on my glock, it wouldn't even cycle until I reduced the spring from 17lbs to 14lbs. I believe that's why 460 Rowland conversions won't function without a compensator; the slide moves too fast and doesn't give the magazine enough time. I believe the comp and maybe a ported barrel can help control timing and dwell time.

Im curious how effective these integral hybrid and hycomp barrels are at doing this. 

A hybrid barrel will not slow the slide down, all the ports do is vent gas straight up, which In turn forces the muzzle down

by cutting the slide for the hybrid barrel, you’ll have remove a huge chunk of metal and lighten the slide which will increase slide velocity 

a better solution would be to get you gun magnaported, where they edm cut straight through the slide and barrel

that will minimize the weight reduction on the slide and still vents gas up to drive the muzzle down

if that doesn’t appeal to you, then find someone to build you a carry comp for your project, it’ll be more effective than a hybrid barrel, without having to deal with a lightening a short slide