Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case sorter and pick up tool recommendations

vgdvc

Hello fellow reloaders. Does anyone have experience with a case sorter they are happy with for separating 9mm,.40 and 45acp pick up brass? I have the system which includes three plastic trays that you shake over top of a 5 gallon bucket and have had mixed feelings on it's a efficiency. I have seen Berrys makes one that has adjustable slots that you rotate on top of a 5 gallon bucket and perhaps there are others on the market. Also does anyone have a good recommendation for a brass pick up tool/unit? I know there are several on the market. Advice and experiences would be welcomed,thank you.

I use the trays and it seems to work pretty good except for the .380.  On another forum someone suggested taking a 50 round .45 ammo box and scooping it into the 9mm and shaking it a few times to get all the openings filled with 9mm brass.  It is then very easy to spot those darn .380 cases and remove them.  Works very well, no more sneaky little .380’s mixed in with the 9mm at the press. 

3 hours ago, slavex said:

put a 5 gallon bucket on a big tumbler, put trays in bucket, turn on tumbler, works pretty damn good for the setup. 

Here is a hack on making that even more efficient. Cost is about $40 for the tumbler.

Thanks,good suggestions. Anyone have experiences with brass pick up tools sort of like the walnut cage rollers I see being used? I have seen several different types on the market with various reviews. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:17 AM, slavex said:

put a 5 gallon bucket on a big tumbler, put trays in bucket, turn on tumbler, works pretty damn good for the setup. 

^^^ This.  Works great.  

5 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks,good suggestions. Anyone have experiences with brass pick up tools sort of like the walnut cage rollers I see being used? I have seen several different types on the market with various reviews. 

I've been using one for several years now.  Works well on hard ground and pine needles but not so good in grass.

Most local matches have turned into "lost brass" matches (especially for 9mm) so its only used at the practice range.

Lately I've used a Caldwell brass catcher.  Initially worried it would be in the way but I quickly adjusted to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Resistant-Convenient-Picatinny-Collection/dp/B00EB5OU0Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542128419&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=caldwell+brass+catcher+ar-15&psc=1

I try to do most of my sorting into separate bags at the range while I'm collecting.  I shoot at a private indoor range, so most of the brass is mine, but when people leave .38 special or .45 in the dump buckets I'll sort and grab that too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:23 AM, vgdvc said:

I use this to pick up brass.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/gardening-tools/gardening-tools/7464217

Inexpensive and works like a champ.

• 10 months later...