Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Riser Height Recommendations?

I just got a brand new JP GMR15 and plan to mount a Vortex Venom on it.  Obviously I'm going to need a riser to get the  sight high enough for a comfortable cheek weld.  Vortex sells a dedicated riser but it's about $100 and I can get others much less expensively. 

The problem is what height Picatinny riser should I get?  They come in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" with 1/2" and 1" being the most common..  There are no sights on the gun so being able to "co-witness" is not an issue.    What height riser would you recommend? 

A .8 puts the Venom at almost lower-1/3 cowitness with backup irons, which is a height I'm most comfortable with on my red dots.  It's also pretty much exactly the height of a C-More Railway red dot if you've ever tried that.

Edited by MoRivera

Thanks for the ideas.  I found an inexpensive adjustable height riser on Amazon that adjusts from 0.6" to 1.0" so somewhere in that range I should find what I need.  If it's a decent mount i'll keep it and if it's too shaky, I'll at least know what fixed height to buy.  Here is the one I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076XQQ8PK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Thanks for the ideas.  I found an inexpensive adjustable height riser on Amazon that adjusts from 0.6" to 1.0" so somewhere in that range I should find what I need.  If it's a decent mount i'll keep it and if it's too shaky, I'll at least know what fixed height to buy.  Here is the one I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076XQQ8PK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let us know how well it Works 

On 11/11/2018 at 6:10 AM, SteelCityShooter said:

Thanks for the ideas.  I found an inexpensive adjustable height riser on Amazon that adjusts from 0.6" to 1.0" so somewhere in that range I should find what I need.  If it's a decent mount i'll keep it and if it's too shaky, I'll at least know what fixed height to buy....

How are you going to mount the Venom to that Picatinny rail?  That will make it taller than the 0.6" minimum.

I like to mount all my sights at the height of AR15 irons.  That would be about 2.6" above the barrel centerline.  This would be at co-witness height.  This makes all your AR rifles consistent, no matter what you shoot.

Like I mentioned before, a riser at around .8" will mount the Venom with the included pica tinny mount to around lower-1/3 cowitness height, a little lower than most mini-red-dots at lower-1/3, but about even wit the C-More Railway height.  I prefer lower-1/3, so if you do as well something like this would be good for the Venom and its picatinny mount......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9JEBC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG-1705.jpg

1 hour ago, MoRivera said:

Like I mentioned before, a riser at around .8" will mount the Venom with the included pica tinny mount to around lower-1/3 cowitness height, a little lower than most mini-red-dots at lower-1/3, but about even wit the C-More Railway height.  I prefer lower-1/3, so if you do as well something like this would be good for the Venom and its picatinny mount......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9JEBC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG-1705.jpg

I just received the adjustable Monstrum pic rail riser I mentioned above and find I get a good, comfortable cheek weld with it set at about 1/2" so I may buy a fixed riser that height.  As I also noted, the rifle has no iron sights so "co- witnissing is not an issue.   I just want the dot centered in my field of view when i shoulder the gun.

1 minute ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I just received the adjustable Monstrum pic rail riser I mentioned above and find I get a good, comfortable cheek weld with it set at about 1/2" so I may buy a fixed riser that height.  As I also noted, the rifle has no iron sights so "co- witnissing is not an issue.   I just want the dot centered in my field of view when i shoulder the gun.

Yeah 1/2" seems to be right at absolute co-winess (just talking height and comfort, not necessarily using iron sights), so there's a lot of 1/2" risers.  I like that height for variable or magnified scopes for some extra stability when pressing my cheek way down.  But for 1x and/or red dots, I'm faster with it at the lower-1/3 height.