Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW 7 hole Chamber checker

Snowman50

• 5 months later...

Every batch of my 9mm loads have a few cases that that will not fit into my EGW gauge, they all mike exactly the same as ones that fit do which bugged the hell out of me until I took a fine file and filed the upper rim just a little and what do know they now fit perfectly, I did 76 cases that would not gauge through the EGW and now they do and fired without fail. Hoora

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 12:20 PM, Eagle1938 said:

Every batch of my 9mm loads have a few cases that that will not fit into my EGW gauge, they all mike exactly the same as ones that fit do which bugged the hell out of me until I took a fine file and filed the upper rim just a little and what do know they now fit perfectly, I did 76 cases that would not gauge through the EGW and now they do and fired without fail. Hoora

Interesting approach 

• 9 months later...

Here's what I found about case gauges vs. the plunk test. Sometimes stuff may pass the plunk test but rotate / re-orient the case a bit and they will not drop all the way in. Case symmetry or lack of it can cause failures to chamber.

My EGW case gauges will check the whole case (even the rim  where needed) and if it fits the EGW, it will fit my chambers. Also for rimmed and semi rimmed cases the case  gauge will tell if the rim has a problem.

Anyway, I started out with the four caliber gauge and for production I wound up buying the 7 round  models for all the calibers I load.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, ExStreetWalker said:

The key is knowing how proud the rounds can be on the gauge and still chamber in your firearm. 

Yep, that's what I do. I know what's acceptable, and what's not.

I have the EGW 7 hole 9mm case gauge and LOVE it !!!  Yes it's tight...and I check every reloaded round.....it has saved me from problems during practice and competition.  If it fits in the gauge I have confidence the round will chamber in any of my 9"s.

I have four.  A shockbottle hundo, an EGW 50, an EGW 7 and a single Dillon Precision.  If I get a bad fit, I rotate the round or put it into another hole.  Sometimes the hole is fouled and it just won't take that round.  It them goes through at least one of the others.  If it fits any of them, it's good to go.

• 10 months later...

I’ve been using an EGW for a few years and would have the same issue where rounds wouldn’t fit flush in it but would pass my Dillon and Wilson gauges. 

Talked to a rep at EGW the other day, he informed they are made to min SAAMI specs. He also said they have a new model designed for bullets with a large ogive. It was delivered the other day and works great! No where near the amount of no go rounds. 

I've had somewhat opposite results with the EGW 7 rd. checker. 

No problems until I got a Springfield RO Target. Factory ammo worked fine. My reloads, both lead and jacketed worked in 6 other pistols and dropped in the checker ok, but a bunch of them would not chamber in the RO. Checked LOA, etc. Apparently the checker has looser specs then factory ammo.. I took the barrel to a gunsmith and he tweaked the chamber with a reamer. Now life is good.