Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sneezing

Nevadazielmeister

So what is the rule on sneezing? I watched someone sneeze right in the middle of the run. The shooter successfully kept the gun in a safe direction and had to sneeze 3 times. The run was stopped by the shooter and the shooter asked for a re-shoot. Without saying what the RO decided to do at this club level match, I wanted to see what the rules would do to address this situation. 

I am just so glad it has never happened to me. I seem to never have the urge to sneeze and imagine that is rarely happens. 

I haven't seen a specific rule for sneezing, but if the gun was pointed at the berm and finger off trigger then I would treat it the same way as a fall. 

The clock is still running and if you decide to stop yourself then it's scored as is. 

9 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

I haven't seen a specific rule for sneezing, but if the gun was pointed at the berm and finger off trigger then I would treat it the same way as a fall. 

The clock is still running and if you decide to stop yourself then it's scored as is. 

Yep. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Other ranges, not so friendly.    :( 

This is why I'm a big fan of trying to do things by the book. 

Everybody follows the same rules, no worries unless you screw up and then you have no one else to be mad at.

Only some people follow the rules, "that guy is an a-hole", "that club sucks because they don't follow the rules" , "that club sucks because they are on power trips & rules Nazis" and etc. I think you cause a lot more people a lot more grief by being "friendly". 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Letter of the Law:   No reshoot

Spirit of the Law:   Reshoot.

Really depends on how friendly everyone is - I've had reshoots for the stupidest reasons -

Anything goes wrong, and you get a reshoot.    :) 

Other ranges, not so friendly.    :( 

Participation trophies, too? ?

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 11:04 AM, Nevadazielmeister said:

So what is the rule on sneezing? I watched someone sneeze right in the middle of the run. The shooter successfully kept the gun in a safe direction and had to sneeze 3 times. The run was stopped by the shooter and the shooter asked for a re-shoot. Without saying what the RO decided to do at this club level match, I wanted to see what the rules would do to address this situation. 

I am just so glad it has never happened to me. I seem to never have the urge to sneeze and imagine that is rarely happens. 

Very odd that a shooter would  stop the stage, let alone ask for a reshoot because they had to sneeze? At our club we follow rules and there would be no reshoot. excuse me RO i farted ....reshoot please

As a new shooter who's not yet run into this problem, I wouldn't expect a reshoot.  If you have to sneeze during a football game, do they restart the play?  Will they pause a NASCAR race if a driver has to sneeze?  Yes, it may suck, but it happens.

My biggest fear is that I would drop my pistol and receive a DQ...

I had to really work on thinking of the classifier as just another stage.  I think partly what helped was that I found beating people more important that classification. 

Sounds like a mental game issue, it was for me at least.  For my first few matches it felt like the only stage that I showed up to shoot was that classifier.  Had to have a sit down with myself.

Yeah that’s a dumb reason to give a reshoot. If a guy slipped and fell should they get a reshoot? If my shoe fell off in the stage do I get a reshoot? This all comes down to subjective opinion that could vary from person to person. RO should’ve kept the clock running.

I get trying to be friendly or understanding, but as everyone else has said, rules are rules. The issue comes from ensuring competitive equity. What happens when he reshoots and gets 100% on the stage? Even in just division or class, that raises the question for every else competing. Can you imagine the shitstorm USPSA would have to deal with if someone was allowed a reshoot for that reason at a Level 2 or higher match? Lol

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...