Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not a custom Wilson combat for SS?

Akkid17

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, troupe said:

Advanced Weapon Technologies ,  Don Fraley.  World class 1911's and accuracy to  match.

Did not see anything about warranty on his website.

The other thing, and it applies to all custom guns, what happens to the warranty when the boss retires or has health issues? 

I am not implying anything bad at all about this business, just questions I ask myself before dropping a big chunk of change on anything that is custom. 

10 hours ago, tha1000 said:

Yup. And last time I got a quote from Strayer on a caliber conversion, it was bid at a “we’ll do it, but we don’t really want to” price. 

They did me the same way when I was still wearing their Team shirt.  Now I don't.

5 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

They did me the same way when I was still wearing their Team shirt.  Now I don't.

I wonder why they don’t just say no, also I found it odd that they don’t really have a price per options list like a lot of other builders just some behind the scenes voodoo then a number. That said, the guy I talked to on the phone was super nice and talked through some of the options that I picked and how they may not work within the USPSA or ipsc rules. Still didn’t prevent the sticker shock though. Haha

Nils Jonasson has done pretty well:) shooting 1911, 2011 and Open pistols built by Matt McLearn at McLearn Custom.  I am not on the same planet as Nils when it comes to shooting---but I have poured many thousands of rounds through my McLearn 1911 and it has been absolutely perfect.  

On 11/10/2018 at 5:34 PM, blue edge said:

I'd buy this before going with a WC.  Dan Wesson's CS is top notch. 

If I was looking for a factory gun to shoot SS this would be it!

Plus you could have 2 for the cost of one Wilson. 

Edited by B_RAD

52 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'd buy this before going with a WC.  Dan Wesson's CS is top notch. 

If I was looking for a factory gun to shoot SS this would be it!

Plus you could have 2 for the cost of one Wilson. 

Only 1700 for a SSC is a pretty good price, I'd be looking hard at that. Put on a Dawson no gap and go to town. 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:29 PM, RangerTrace said:

What I don't understand is why bother even offering it as an option? They advertise the IBF for the supposed benefit of being able to change calibers but when push comes to shove I've never heard of a single person actually getting the work done because of absurd pricing. Sure you can also change it in the case of wear, but seriously? Seems silly and a bit disingenuous to me.

I know a few people that shoot Wilsons. They seem like fine guns, again assuming they sell the options that you want. 

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

What I don't understand is why bother even offering it as an option? They advertise the IBF for the supposed benefit of being able to change calibers but when push comes to shove I've never heard of a single person actually getting the work done because of absurd pricing. Sure you can also change it in the case of wear, but seriously? Seems silly and a bit disingenuous to me.

I had a whole new top end built and fit for less than half the price they quoted me for a caliber change. 

5 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I'd buy this before going with a WC.  Dan Wesson's CS is top notch

And then you'd sell it and buy the Wilson, and then sell that and buy a range officer, and then sell all the SS gear and switch to open or pcc.

:)

We like what we like. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

And then you'd sell it and buy the Wilson, and then sell that and buy a range officer, and then sell all the SS gear and switch to open or pcc.

:)

We like what we like. 

I might...  except probably skip the Wilson. We don't like what we don't like. 

I'm already trying open. About to list another gun too. Got any more comments?

Edited by B_RAD

I went back and forth, started in limited, went to revolver, then open, then back to limited and started to slow down until PCC got introduced and shot PCC for about a year then I picked up the STI hex tac in 9 and have been shooting single stack almost exclusively going on a year now, kinda sucks I tend classify better in limited most of the time but I like SS way more so here I am. The single stack challenge is a lot of fun especially when I pull off an upset and beat a PCC or limited gun at a local match

14 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

I think that pretty well settles it, unless I come across an inheritance I didn’t know about in the next 6 months Mr Wilson is gong to be getting a call. :)

Something I think will be useful. If I remember right it seems like Wilson guarantees 50 yard 2" groups, and I strongly suspect they will give you the ammo specs to get there.

It would be nice to have one gun that you knew was extremely accurate, it gives you a starting place when measuring your shooting performance and also when developing reloads. I don't think you need to pay for that much accuracy and the factory testing that was done to verify it with every gun, but it would be nice to have a stake in the ground.  

For sure, it’s probably more that I’m going to need, but it’s always nice to have. Also I’m going from a gun that on my best day I pull 4” at 25 yards so a little extra accuracy will be appreciated. For reference I can get 3” at 25 yards with a p320 full size. 

1 hour ago, perttime said:

"Nice to have" is always a good reason - as long as you can still afford to buy food for the kids.

Hence thinning out the stable, it gets more affordable the more of them that get re-homed :)

8 hours ago, Frankly said:

There is an Akai for $2000 what the Heck is the issue? 

It's like holding out for Farrah Fawcett when Cindy Crawford is licking your ear. 

Well, at least back in 1978. 

I think you have that backwards, and check what Cindy looks like now and you’ll see why you wait for the right one. And as I said earlier I have a gun that is the STI version of that akai and it would put me further benhid on getting what I really want if I were to buy it. If it had the range master frame and tri-top that would be an entirely different story. 

Not to distract you from your quest but FWIW I thought I was buying a "forever gun" when I bought an Atlas Titan 9mm single stack 1911. Since I live in NY State it made all the sense in the world ~ ten rounds is our limit anyway. It was beautiful, shot perfectly and probably hit all the check marks on your list (tri-topped). Took a $1000 hit reselling it to get back into a 2011, which I shoot significantly better because of the weight, grip, and psychology. When your guns jump from $1000 to $4000 you do start thinking that they better be forever guns 😜 

20180510_iphone_0685.jpg

Edited by Frankly

Atlas was in the top 3 since it did check all the boxes and all of the ones I checked out were really nice and had I not found that Wilson combat does custom guns they would probably have gotten my business.

Also, what I mean by a forever gun is just a gun that I won’t ever sell, not that I won’t ever shoot another division. I may end up getting back into open or limited and, as I said earlier,  I usually perform better in limited as well as classifying better it’s just not as fun as single stack or as challenging.

In our sport you should never own a forever gun. What you should own is a tool that gets the job done in what ever division you happen to be in.

Nor, am I saying that you should be foolish with your money. Just don't skimp on a gun choice to save a buck is probably the advice I would give.

If your pick is the Wilson CQB, then go for it. It's a proven winner.

Edited by MikieM

while 40's aren't nearly as prevalent as 45's in 1911's, def check out gunbroker before buying.  i got bent over selling some wilson's in great shape on gb so there are some bargains out there, plus avoiding the build wait.