Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not a custom Wilson combat for SS?

Akkid17

I am wanting to go full tilt in single stack and get a custom gun built or at least a high end pistol that I can really feel confident about putting 50k+ rounds through and that will have the support to keep it running even longer than that should something fail. Of all the builders/shops that I have priced out or looked at their options I found that Wilson combat has all but one thing I want and their right in the lower middle of the price spectrum. With their longevity, quality and service I am having a hard time thinking of a reason not to go with them. 

Anyone have a good argument not to just go for it and get a custom shop Wilson made?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.proload.com/LesBaerInventory.html

I do not buy green bananas or wait on guns to be built :) . 

The best gun I have ever owned was a Les Baer Premier 2 in 45, after break in was over (about 300 rounds) it never missed a beat. Had to get out of major because my senior class wrists can become unhappy with it. 

Given the same wishes you expressed I just bought the same gun in 9mm. 

Not to say you won't be happy with the Wilson.  

I think going full tilt for a SS gun is crazy.  I say this because I have used a Rock Island to beat several Wilsons, SV, STI, Baers, etc.   I am not a rock island apologist however and would recommend going with something a little better like a Springfield RO or even a step up to a Dan Wesson or something.  SS seems to me to be the division where guns will compete about the same regardless of price,  as long as they are reliable and have the basics done, magwell, trigger job, etc.  All that said, if you want a wilson, buy it and have fun.  

7 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

I am wanting to go full tilt in single stack and get a custom gun built or at least a high end pistol that I can really feel confident about putting 50k+ rounds through and that will have the support to keep it running even longer than that should something fail. Of all the builders/shops that I have priced out or looked at their options I found that Wilson combat has all but one thing I want and their right in the lower middle of the price spectrum. With their longevity, quality and service I am having a hard time thinking of a reason not to go with them. 

Anyone have a good argument not to just go for it and get a custom shop Wilson made?

I assume you want a .45 right?  If so, a CQB with a magwell would be a solid choice.  Wilson's customer service is extremely good.  Super Grades are very pretty, but I doubt they would give you any better match results.

You may consider a build from a custom smith. You may be surprised, that you can get then options you want, for less $!  

Find a reputable builder and contact them. 

I have/had guns from all the "botique" builders. They've all been amazing but IMO the prices are a little higher than what you actually get. Buying used is always a good option too! Some may warranty the gun regardless if you're the original owner. May look at that.  Just my opinion....  Good luck!

Edited by B_RAD

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I think going full tilt for a SS gun is crazy.  I say this because I have used a Rock Island to beat several Wilsons, SV, STI, Baers, etc. 

And it seems like Bob Vogel has beaten pretty much the entire civilized world with a basically stock Glock in production, nothing wrong with that stuff at all.

To me, when you consider all of the time, effort and money that many of us put into bullets & practice & travel & training & match fees & other equipment & targets & pasters & yada yada yada, then it does not make sense to go frugal if you really enjoy owning/shooting a higher priced gun and are able to afford it. 

Many are on a tight budget, which makes sense, and many would also not get satisfaction out of a higher priced gun, which makes sense also. My depravity is I that don't care if something looks like a complete turd, but when there is an opportunity for crazy good accuracy or better reliability or anything functional then I get all oogy about it. 

2 hours ago, tha1000 said:

Bull barrel. 

Legal for IPSC Classic.

It's the indian, not the arrow. That certainly does apply. But if you want something a bit out of the ordinary - and can afford it - go for it. The pistol that you WANT is probably less than the car you WANT.

Guess I should have specified I’m wanting it in 40, and the only thing they won’t do is tri-top the slide which isn’t a deal breaker, odd though since they do it on the edc x9.  

And the plan is to sell a couple limited guns and an open shotgun to fund the majority of the build so I’m about half way there. I have been running a STI hex tac in 9 for the last year or so and enjoy it but I am wanting to shoot major so I’d like to go ahead and make the investment for a forever gun. I’ve been running second/third hand guns for the majority of my shooting career and they haven’t ever let me down and I’ve secured a used Trojan for now while I wait and save up for the custom build and then it will become my back up. I originally wanted to go full Gucci and get a svi built but they don’t do a heavy or light rail dust cover and they were considerably higher than the other builders highest priced SS guns, which amounted to essentially the cost of the Trojan and 10 Tripp system mags.

8 minutes ago, TCB said:

I’ve been using a CQB in SS for 10 years...all I added was adjustable sights and a mag well. They are great guns. 

There’s a guy up here that’s been rocking a cqb for 10+ years and has in the neighborhood of 100k on it and that’s the main reason I even looked into them. 

2 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

There’s a guy up here that’s been rocking a cqb for 10+ years and has in the neighborhood of 100k on it and that’s the main reason I even looked into them. 

Would be very interesting to see reports on 100k guns that have held up well.

It changes the economic considerations quite a bit potentially. 

23 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Would be very interesting to see reports on 100k guns that have held up well.

It changes the economic considerations quite a bit potentially. 

Lots of stories of guns making the 50 to 60k mark, I figure that’s worth the custom price 

A local friend/competitor has a wilson cqb in 45 that shot IDPA extensively and trained like a mad man and it has held up to the 100k mark with minimal parts breakage. I believe it was an extractor that broke but not positive. Wilson puts out an awesome product, as long as their options meet what you want.