Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
TFin04

Shotgun barrel length/velocity

Not directly competition related but I figured this group would be the best to answer the question.

I'm looking at a Beretta 1301. Choices are Tac with 18.5" barrel, or Comp with 21" barrel, both threaded for chokes. I'll use it hunting for deer and small game (turkey, squirrel, maybe grouse). I float hunt from a canoe and kayak where short and simple guns really shine. I'm wondering what difference in velocity and shot pattern I might see between the two barrels given appropriate choke choice. I'd like to keep it short for the boat but I don't want to give up more than I have to for effectiveness. The differences in the receiver and factory sighting systems don't really matter to me. Just a question on shot spread from short barrels. 

Anybody have input from shooting clays or poppers in competition with 18 and 21" guns?

Thanks for your time. 

On 11/9/2018 at 9:52 PM, TFin04 said:

I'm looking at a Beretta 1301. Choices are Tac with 18.5" barrel, or Comp with 21" barrel, both threaded for chokes. I'll use it hunting for deer and small game (turkey, squirrel, maybe grouse). I float hunt from a canoe and kayak where short and simple guns really shine. I'm wondering what difference in velocity and shot pattern I might see between the two barrels given appropriate choke choice. I'd like to keep it short for the boat but I don't want to give up more than I have to for effectiveness. The differences in the receiver and factory sighting systems don't really matter to me. Just a question on shot spread from short barrels. 

Anybody have input from shooting clays or poppers in competition with 18 and 21" guns?

Thanks for your time. 

If you want a shotgun for those tasks my advice would be to go with a longer barrel.  Not really for tighter pattern as much as for the swing properties and increased eye to bead radius.  

Since your choices are limited to shorter & short I'd pick 21" but you should seriously consider the 1301 Comp in 24".   Grouse are hard enough! 

Edited by Yeti

You know the 1301 Tac (at least the originals)  comes from the factory with a "fixed cylinder" choke right?  In other words t's not threaded for choke tubes.  It's sole purpose in my house is for what may go bump in the night, so that works fine for me.  But just keep in mind why Beretta made them the way they did, and for what they saw would be its intended use...

Edited by hceuterpe