Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

0pen Magazines

Glock17open

I have just purchased a CK open gun and would like some opinions on magazines.  I know that MBX is the best choice but i am on a budget and the STI mags are more affordable.  Is there any major difference that may cause me issues.  Second question is there any need for the 140 mm mags.  Is there any situations that the 140 will serve me better than 170 mags. 

Thanks in advance Chris

I think you should have at least one 140.  I run two 155s and a 170.  Two 155s will get you through just about any stage.  Buy one or two STI Gen 2 mags for classifiers where you have a mandatory reload.  It is not a good idea to drop a hi-cap mag full of bullets.

I realize you could just download the 155s.  I prefer to have cheaper mags that I don't care about.  I carry two such mags loaded to 12 in each just for classifiers that require a mandatory mag change.

I use MBX mags and they work great in my CK Arms gun.  I bought a couple of the new STI mags and they were unreliable until I changed to Grams springs and followers.  I use the STI mags for practice when I am dropping the mag to try and save wear and tear on my MBX mags.

I really can’t say either are better, I’ve had great luck with both. I have 2 mbx 140mm mags for limited, they hold 20rds easily reloadable, and I have 2 sti gen 2 mags with grams guts and Dawson snl base pads, also hold 20rds reloadable  and they’ve all run flawlessly. Both the mbx and the sti I can get 21 in, and with some force jam it in the gun. Maybe it will get easier as the springs wear in. 

for open I have 2 mbx 170s, only because one came with the gun and the second I got in the classifieds for a really good deal, one holds 30 and the other 29, both reloadable..  But then I have 3 sti gen 2 mags. 1 with a grams 11mm basepad that holds 24 easily reloadable, then I have 2 with Dawson pads that hold 23. 

Personally going forward in buying more sti. It costs me 110 to put together a sti mag with grams guts and Dawson pads, compared to 130 for mbx. And I have unlimited choices of base pads and guts, vs Mbx where  you’re limited to only their base pads and springs and stuff. 

If sti mags were a pain like they used to be mbx would be a no brainer, but they’re not and they run great. And I’ve done no “tuning” at all, just piecing them together. Maybe I’m lucky but I have 11 mags that all run great. 

Edited by Jfitz427

If you get the STI mags, you will end up buying new followers and floor plates. Then you have to tune the fed lips to make the mags work.

If you get the MBX they will work right out of the box with no issues. You have a wonderful pistol give it the best magazines available.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Glock17open said:

1.  MBX is the best choice but  STI mags are more affordable. Any major difference ? 

2   Is there any need for the 140 mm mags?

1.  I have some 12 year old STI mags (140's and 170's) and they work fine.   I've read that some people have trouble with the MBX's.  No magic here, either way.

2.  I shot my first year of OPEN with two 140's - that's a LOT of ammo with a single reload - covers most COF's.  You can ask "is there a need for 170's"?

For many people (like ME) it's a lot easier (faster) to reload to a 140 than to a 170.   But, now, I start most COF's with a loaded 170 and still reload, if necessary, to a 140.

I've never tried a MBX or a 155, but it sounds like a viable option that I will try one day - see if I can reload to a 155 as quickly as I can to a 140.     :) 

Thanks again, I have bt shooting ope fo almost 4 year now. Using a Glock as your can tell by my screen name.  I am truly looking forward to the up grade.  With my Glock I often stared a stage with a  140 and finished with my big stick. Most of out stage are a 30 round count. With steal sometime.  I was originally asking because I thought about getting all 170 mags. I will probably get a couple 140 so I will not have to drop full/ half full mags.  Again thanks for the input.  I have about a three month weight so I can save some cash for mags

21 hours ago, ericskennard said:

f you get the STI mags, you will end up buying new followers and floor plates. Then you have to tune the fed lips to make the mags work

I bought 2 MBX 170's and had to tune the feed lips. They were waaaaaay out of spec from the factory. MBX offered to fix but the price of shipping was not worth it and I ended up doing it myself. They now run reliably well.

Edited by 191138sc

My advice: Have at least ONE 170mm magazine for field courses. It'll give you lots of flexibility in your stage plan. You'll be able to pick your spot to reload, pretty much anywhere on the stage if your first magazine holds 28 of the 32 rounds on a stage. For smaller stages you won't even have to reload.

I normally run my rig with three 170mm's - one in the gun, one for reload, and the third as insurance. It's served me pretty well but it's probably overkill.

I'm going to try running 140's when I go to a classifier stage where the round count is low and the reloads are more important. Mostly because with the length of a 140mm you can grab it by the basepad, throw the mag into the magwell, your palm will end up flush with the magwell, and everything seats properly. With the length of a 170mm you end up having to hold it by the tube higher up and avoid pinching your finger between the magwell and the mag as you guide it in (OUCH). This means it requires a bit more dexterity which adds time and increases difficulty, which is not something you want on a classifier.

I've seen some people start with a 170mm and then reload into a 140mm on field courses. I might start running a 170mm in the gun and then just two 140mm's in the belt to cut down on the weight while still keeping my insurance mag.

Edited by sc68cal

42 minutes ago, sc68cal said:

My advice: Have at least ONE 170mm magazine for field courses. It'll give you lots of flexibility in your stage plan. You'll be able to pick your spot to reload, pretty much anywhere on the stage if your first magazine holds 28 of the 32 rounds on a stage. For smaller stages you won't even have to reload.

I normally run my rig with three 170mm's - one in the gun, one for reload, and the third as insurance. It's served me pretty well but it's probably overkill.

I'm going to try running 140's when I go to a classifier stage where the round count is low and the reloads are more important. Mostly because with the length of a 140mm you can grab it by the basepad, throw the mag into the magwell, your palm will end up flush with the magwell, and everything seats properly. With the length of a 170mm you end up having to hold it by the tube higher up and avoid pinching your finger between the magwell and the mag as you guide it in (OUCH). This means it requires a bit more dexterity which adds time and increases difficulty, which is not something you want on a classifier.

I've seen some people start with a 170mm and then reload into a 140mm on field courses. I might start running a 170mm in the gun and then just two 140mm's in the belt to cut down on the weight while still keeping my insurance mag.

I like reloading with a 140 for that reason, and I really like the feel of the big Dawson basepads. I can get a nice firm grip on them. It’s the biggest reason I prefer them to the mbx. I been thinking about buying an mbx tube and filing down the ledges on the bottom so I can put Dawson pads on them. It’ll be an expensivr project if it goes wrong and I ruin the mag.