Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 turned into a single shot

dthomas1003

Dawson Tool-less guide rod broke during my 2nd stage of Area 2 yesterday. It locked the recoil spring into the compressed position so of course, the slide would not return. Thankfully it happened on the very last target and I only needed to get off two shots. It took a second to figure out what was going on and my HF took a serious beating. The only silver lining is that another shooter had a spare guide rod and my gun was up and running for the next stage. My first time ever to have a gun go down during a match and of course it would have to happen during an Area match..lol  Guess what will be in my spare parts kit from now on? 

IMG_6884.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Matt1911 said:

I'm glad I haven't spent the money on the tooless guide rod yet. This is at least the 3rd time I've heard of that happening. 

Paper clips for the win!

In all fairness, I have had this particular guide rod for a couple of years and it has a lot of rounds on it. My new Atlas gun came with one and I am not concerned about it. I like them and they work well. Anything mechanical has the ability to fail. I spoke with Dawson Precision on the phone and even after two years, they gave me an RMA number and will either repair or replace it. I cannot ask for anything more than that. Their customer service has always been great and they keep me as a customer for it.

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2019 at 2:46 AM, Corrado_kid said:

My friends guide rod did same thing last weekend at practice. We were almost finished and his second to last shot the gun locked up and it was the tool less guide rod that broke. Glad it happened in practice and not in a match. 

I guess it would be a good thing to have an extra.  I think i will go order and extra now.  Thanks!