Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot for Rock Island?

xtian999

9 hours ago, Goodonpaper said:

There are some dovetail mounts available for Vortex that fit a 1911. I have one on my 22/45 and it’s pretty slick but the slide doesn’t reciprocate so I don’t know how solid it is under heavy use

How does it secure to the slide? I’ve been using the Burris mount on a Glock for CO and it’s pretty solid. 

I found a mounting plate by EGW that fits both the Novak low mount dovetail (49.95 Amazon) and the Vortex red dot (157.00 Opticsplnt w/12.5% coupon.)  I’ll call Aaron at HCG and ask if he can do the install.

Edited by xtian999
prices

• 3 months later...

Sent the slide, mount, and optic to HCG. Got it back and the results are great. All parts look good together. Ben had to enlarge the dovetail on the slide a bit to accomodate the mount, but it works. Vortex sits a little higher than the old sights, so no co-witness, but that was expected. Gun cycles my regular loads fine with a little softer recoil. Dead on accuracy. Much tighter groups in IDPA style shoots. Dot is a little hard to pick up from the draw, but I’ll get used to it. No spring change was required. Fits my Webber holster, but not my old Safariland. Not really an edc gun anymore, but for steel and paper, it is super. Overall result is great and I would do it again.