Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI loading help

pwsmkaz

The AET barrel is known to strip the plating off of plated bullets due to the rifling of the barrel causing accuracy issues. Brandon at SVI recommended using jacketed bullets with it. I've read mixed opinions on coated bullets like Blue bullets and Bayou. The non AET Infinity/Schuemann barrels don't seem to have this issue for what I've read. I just bought it and have a few thousand Berry's and Xtreme bullets already. I ordered RMR and Precision Delta bullets for it but I'm seeing if there are more options since I won't be able to used plated bullets with this gun.

I bought a SVI 9mm sight tracker 5.4  with  AET Schuemann tin barrel. Can I get away with running coated bullets?  Or am I married to jacketed bullets only? I understand plated is no go.

Coated work great. Test with different diameters to find which one works best for you.

The AET barrels have a tendency to strip the plating. The newer generation supposedly do that less but why bother? The good quality coated shoot at least as well and are cheaper.

In my experience jacketed and coated are fine. The plated stuff will sometimes throw fliers. Had good luck with the heavy plated stuff from berry's before. I'd say buy a case check accuracy while keeping an eye out for leading. 

No leading problems with any of the good quality coated through either the SV TiN or DLC coated barrels that I’ve tested. Including Acme, Blue, Bayou, Ibejiheads.

The AET barrel is known to strip the plating off of plated bullets due to the rifling of the barrel causing accuracy issues. Brandon at SVI recommended using jacketed bullets with it. I've read mixed opinions on coated bullets like Blue bullets and Bayou. The non AET Infinity/Schuemann barrels don't seem to have this issue for what I've read. I just bought it and have a few thousand Berry's and Xtreme bullets already. I ordered RMR and Precision Delta bullets for it but I'm seeing if there are more options since I won't be able to used plated bullets with this gun.

Just load and shoot what you’ve already got. It’s not like it’s going to hurt the barrel.

Buy some coated and test them against the plated heads up. And then start buying in bulk. :-)

11 hours ago, candiru said:

No leading problems with any of the good quality coated through either the SV TiN or DLC coated barrels that I’ve tested. Including Acme, Blue, Bayou, Ibejiheads.

Yea. I've never had an issue either. Just told him to keep an eye out since he is worried about it. 

I shot blues as well through my .40.  sizing will likely be important.  i shot blues because they were true. .400... .401 or larger, like bayou bullets, would hang up something fierce in my sv's.

but honestly, there isnt a tremendous savings on coated in 9mm in my experience.  i shoot fmj in 9.

Edited by tha1000