Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050: What will I need to fix/repair after primer tube blow up?

New to me 1050 for 45acp decided to blow up the primer tube before I got 300 rounds in :(

Short:  What will I need to fix/replace?  Primer magazine(22031) tube for sure.  Primer station retain tab(12930) also for use.

Primer slide assembly(20318) top has the start of a 'pile' of stuff... can I sand it down?  Or do I need to replace?

Other things to look at?

Longer:

First 100 rounds went smooth but I was only doing case setup(belling mouth)

Second 100 rounds went fairly smooth except last round ended up with a screwed up primer.  Unsure if it didn't seat fully, turned, or something else.

Third 50 rounds ended up with about 5 rounds or so with same primer issue above then blew up the primer rod.

MikieM,

By your description, I might as well drop the whole thing off at the dump.

mach1soldier,

I've got the insert and 'nipple'... that is part Primer magazine(22031).

Are you saying I need to replace the whole assembly housing also?  So far, it appears straight and the primer magazine dropped in fine.

When you say shuttle, is this the piece that the primer sits in that moves back and forth?  Dillon calls it a Primer slide assembly(20318) and aside from a pile of something on the top side, it slides fine.

9 hours ago, LTC-J said:

MikieM,

By your description, I might as well drop the whole thing off at the dump.

Yes. It's in my back yard. I'll give you the address. ?

Not a thing wrong with getting hold of Dillon. They know a thing, or two, because they've seen a thing, or two. 

I haven't had this happen to me, but I know when I first started with the 1050 (small primers) adding an upside down 45 case (weight) to the plastic tube that assists primer feeding really smoothed things out a bit.  Something to think about going forward.

17 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Hope OP didn't get injured at all...

No injury except to my pride... maybe needing a change of underwear ?  It was very much like shooting a gun but VERY unexpected.

4 hours ago, MikieM said:

Not a thing wrong with getting hold of Dillon. They know a thing, or two, because they've seen a thing, or two. 

I agree, nothing wrong with calling up Dillon.  Mostly frustrated with not being able to finish out 6k of 45 and bucketing it up :(

4 hours ago, RickT said:

I haven't had this happen to me, but I know when I first started with the 1050 (small primers) adding an upside down 45 case (weight) to the plastic tube that assists primer feeding really smoothed things out a bit.  Something to think about going forward.

I did not have the plastic tube which I assumed was part of the primer warning system.

The steel primer feed housing is rated for one explosion, but not more than that. #20773. The primer magazine tube, #22031 (large primer), and the primer station retaining tab, #12930 are usually what need replacing. The primer slides almost never suffer any damage. Just use a scotchbrite pad to remove any carbon buildup. The most common cause for an explosion while loading 45ACP is when a small primer case sneaks in.

22 hours ago, dillon said:

The steel primer feed housing is rated for one explosion, but not more than that. #20773. The primer magazine tube, #22031 (large primer), and the primer station retaining tab, #12930 are usually what need replacing. The primer slides almost never suffer any damage. Just use a scotchbrite pad to remove any carbon buildup. The most common cause for an explosion while loading 45ACP is when a small primer case sneaks in.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It sounds like I should replace primer feed housing for peace of mind.

I already have the replacement primer magazine tube (mis-ordered two thinking they were the pickup tubes :( )

Thanks for identifying that is carbon buildup on the primer slide.  VERY big blob.

I hand sort my 45acp to make sure I grab small primer.  But after the blowup, I checked the one that was in the station as well as some of the previous bad seated.  None were small :(

13 hours ago, ddc said:

What is the most common cause when reloading 9mm?

After smearing a couple of primers, not keeping the primer area clean of the priming compound.  Which is why I keep canned air on the bench, blow everything clean after each 1K rounds.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, dillon said:

For 9mm, either a crimped case wasn't swaged, or a spent primer was still in the primer pocket.

In both cases wouldn’t a properly adjusted swage station prevent an explosion? A small primer 45 mixed in or a spent primer still in should lock up the press? 

11 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Dang I just sold my 650 and upgrading to a 1050. Is this normal for a 1050. Maybe should’ve stayed with the 650. 

It’s far more common on the 650 than a 1050. If you didn’t manage to cook one off on the 650 (I never did, either) then you’ll probably be just fine.

7 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I’ve been hearing people process their brass deprime and resize separately. Then reload it. It’s that needed or are they just doing extra step. Never processed first on my 650 jyst tumbled brass and loaded it. 

Really not needed  now with that said I do deprime and swadge 9mm brass for a few friends that dont have 1050s.

I throw my brass in and load no pre processing. I have had one primer go off in the 1050 it was a rung primer(center of primer

came out edge stayed in).  Have set down behind a 650 four times (was trying to decide between 650 and 1050) three times

the primer system detonated every primer tube and all.  So 1050 for me. The one primer that went off (1050) was only the one

under the case not the whole system. I use canned air very often (keep every tang clean) .

7 hours ago, AHI said:

Really not needed  now with that said I do deprime and swadge 9mm brass for a few friends that dont have 1050s.

I throw my brass in and load no pre processing. I have had one primer go off in the 1050 it was a rung primer(center of primer

came out edge stayed in).  Have set down behind a 650 four times (was trying to decide between 650 and 1050) three times

the primer system detonated every primer tube and all.  So 1050 for me. The one primer that went off (1050) was only the one

under the case not the whole system. I use canned air very often (keep every tang clean) .

Good deal. Never had a primer go off on my 650 in ten years. But next week I’ll be the proud parent of a 1050 😂