Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modify existing gun or go the custom route?

Tan40

My son and I have been in the shooting sports for several years. (USPSA, 3gun and some long range stuff). We have shot a couple local steel matches and really enjoy shooting this discipline. I know the old adage “just run what you got” and I’m good with that. We have a couple stock Ruger 10/22s and a Browning Buckmark for a pistol (Already have a PCC and I’m working on a CO gun).  But, I know I will want to upgrade our shooting platforms. Would it be wiser to mod the existing guns we have or just go all out custom from the get go?

thanks in advance!!

Depends. Do you want to go broke overnight or slowly over time :). Start with your stock setup and upgrade as you need to upgrade. One upgrade I would recommend if you plan to shoot irons would be to either add a compensator if the barrel supports it or get a replacement barrel that does. That way the timers have a better chance of picking up the shots. One last thing if you don’t have 5 mags for each rifle I would buy mags before anything else.

For the 22s I think you'll be better off upgrading what you have.

The companies that make high end 22s all sell the components separately. You end up not paying for an expensive receiver and bolt that isn't functionally different from what you have already.

Sounds like a cool project to do with your son default_smile.png

The Ruger 10/22 is the most popular rimfire rifle in SCSA by far. And there are a bunch of very simple aftermarket parts to 'tweak it'. You can improve the trigger with a Ruger BX trigger (2.75 pounds). Adding a reflex sight is easy. Ruger has an accessory Picatinney rail mount. You're talking less than $100 bucks for those drop in/bolt on parts.

You may want a new stock, but I can't see a need for a new barrel. If you shoot hi-speed .22LR ammo the timer has no problem picking it up, and there is no recoil to speak of. The sonic crack registers. I know, I RO two or three Steel matches a month.

I'm currently shooting a 10/22 Take Down Lite, with a BX trigger, and SIG ROMEO1 sight (although I've used others with no probs). I take two 15-round BX mags and one standard 10-round mag to the line. Shoot two runs with a BX, change, shoot two more with the other, and finish with the 10-rounder. If I have a major mag malf, one of the BX will have enough rounds left to finish the string. Avoid the 25-round BX mags. I've seen too many probs, but the 15s work great. For the paranoid, just carry an extra 10-rounder.

This simple, inexpensive, rig got me to upper RFRO A Class.

If you do decide to go the custom route, you should check the classifieds here and at rimfire central. There are always great bargains on used Volquartsen Custom rifles and pistols. You’ll save enough to buy a ton of ammo!

For the .22lr rifle I’d run it stock + the low end Kidd trigger upgrade if you plan to shoot irons.  

If you want to shoot open and be competitive... and you have the funds... I would personally buy a built gun from Kidd or Tac-Sol.  Yes it’s more expensive than building from your stock receiver but by the time you’re done, the price difference will be within a few hundred bucks, and you’ll have a better receiver and warranty from a single source.  

The Buckmark will be much better with upgrades.  You need a new trigger with take up and over travel adjustments, a 2 lb trigger job (by gunsmith), a Tacsol Paclite threaded barrel, Picatinny top rail, better grips and a comp.  Mine ended up costing $1000 including the original price of the gun and five mags.

As mentioned above, you can do incremental mods to the 10/22s.  If you want custom, just buy A Kidd Ultralight and be done with it.  Volquartsens are spotty.

I would stick with what you currently have and upgrade anything you feel is an issue.  I shoot a Buck Mark pistol, and the only thing I've changed is the extractor.  TANDEMKROSS Eagle's Talon extractor all but eliminated the only issue I was having (stovepipes).  I've reached M class so far in RFPI, and it isn't the pistol keeping me from moving up to GM.  ? 

• 3 weeks later...

One piece of advice for modifying the 10/22s: skip the BX trigger and just buy a Volquartsen hammer.  I've put them in 3 guns now and it's the best bang for your buck.  You can get them solo or with the auto-release bolt stop (which is great but also easy to modify your own).  A buddy recently built a gun with the BX trigger and after comparing it to mine with stock trigger and Volquartsen hammer he immediately dumped the BX.