Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester primers.......

copterdrvr

Winchester not quite as soft as Federal, softer than CCI. I have never assessed amount of priming compound.  Primers I have not had detonate - - a couple CCI that werent fullt seated and detonated on second strike.  Many S&B that werent fully seated but detonated on second strike.  Two Federals with fouked compound - - dark brown.  And never a Winchester. 

My preference is Winchester.  The only reason I prefer Winchester to Federal is that Federal visibly deform during seating, and it makes me nervous. 

I use Winchester SPP for my open loads and Fed SPP for minor CO loads.  Different colors help identify different loads.  Never had a problem with either although I prefer the Winchesters since they are cheaper.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:55 PM, jlo86cj said:

I'm pretty sure the red is just a sealer and is colored to designate pistol primers. Winchester rifle primers have a green sealer.

WSP's is all I use. Never had a problem.

I agree with you about it being a sealer and I have noticed the Winchester red sealant is sometimes uneven on individual  primers.    Maybe 20+ years ago I remember an article from American Handgunner, it was a debate article between Mike Dillon and Richard Lee.   Part of the discussion was on why Lee only recommended CCI and Winchester primers and not Federal in there primer system without an additional blast shield.    Lee and CCI have sealants that help to prevent a daisy chain explosion, so the plastic tray alone was okay.    I've had a friend have a daisy chain explosion with Federal, thankfully it was in a Dillon where the explosion went straightup.    I use all three and save the Federals for matches (Glock shooter).

Ill pick them over Federals.  I don't have a finicky gun so I can use anything. I tried federals once and I did crush a few loading them but that was on a LnL. Im loading on a Dillon now so that might not be a issue. Ive loaded primarily  Winchester since then and haven't had any issues.