Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester primers.......

copterdrvr

Picked up a couple bricks of Win small pistol primers on sale the other day.......

The priming compound is bright red and I've found that to be a great benefit with these primers.  When I started loading these primers on the primer tray I noticed some of the primers on the tray had little to any "red" showing in the cups and I immediately culled those.

after loading around 500 of these primers, I've had to cull between 5 and 10 primers per hundred from each box. The primers culled had none to less than half the amount of priming compound in the cups as compared to the majority of the primers.

I normally use CCI primers for, well, everything and was wondering if anyone else has seen this with Winchester primers?

Been using Winchester in my 9mm for 2 Years now after comparing to Rem and CCI. I found the Winchester to be the most consistent and softer then the CCI. Never bothered me that the Red Color was more or less in a cup. Also found that the CCI primers delivers 20 FPS less velocity then win or rem. Found Rem to be the softest of the 3. Just my results your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Win almost exclusively. Have seen some that appeared less than perfect. They still did their job.

You should load some or all your culls and keep them seperate as an experiment. May save you a few seconds and pennys in the future, or it might alert us to a potential as yet unnoticed QC failure from Win.

9 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

I order Win SPPs by the million.

Not sure if you're ordering for a team/department or other. 

I needed to wrap my head around 1M (1,000,000) per year and this is what i came up with-

• >2,700 rounds per day, each and every day of the year

Now that's some dedication and a serious callous on your booger picker

I have had issues with the last bunch of Winchester I bought. Some miss fires but also noticed hard to load in my frankford primer filler with them getting stuck and some were hard to get in the Dillon primer tube, went back to CCI and no issues so far.

Edited by mcattack

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I needed to wrap my head around 1M (1,000,000) per year and this is what i came up with-

If you order ammo from Precision Delta, you’re ordering from him. ;) 

Make more sense now?

4 hours ago, muncie21 said:

You really should see it but when he is actually training normally. 

15 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

was wondering if anyone else has seen this with Winchester primers?

Yep... seen plenty like that and they all worked just fine. The red stuff could be a "glue" that holds all the parts of the primer in the positions that they should be. Federal SPP's used to have green stuff and Fiocchi have red stuff. It doesnt seem to matter too much.