Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" or 16"?

currahee1911

Better? Maybe, maybe not.

Different? Almost certainly.

A shorter barrel should give you a little less velocity, a little more noise, a little less weight up front (assuming same barrel profile), 2" easier to maneuver in tight quarters and 2" cooler looks (IMO).

The difference in velocity is going to be basically negligible between the two lengths. 16" will be a tad lighter and easier to maneuver; 18" lets you run a rifle-length gas system, which generally lets you get a slightly softer recoil impulse. Depends on which of those you value more.

Personally, I tend to prefer an 18" barrel with rifle-length gas. I've never found it to be too unwieldy, and the weight isn't too big of a concern if you don't have a heavy profile. But far better shooters than me have plenty of success with a 16" or 14.5" (or even shorter).

I prefer a 16” barrel, for me it seems easier to swing towards targets, I previously had an 18” and find no accuracy difference or to much velocity loss when shooting out to longer distances with the shorter barrel.

I'm running a double fluted 18" barrel and I'll tell you what, it is light and fast for a 18" gun. I've found that the rifle length gas really smooths out the recoil impulse. With that said, I would like to build a short rifle with a 13.7 or 14.5 for the one club I shoot at. There is nothing but bays, I think the farthest is something like 125? But I have shot my 18 and dont really feel at any disadvantage running it, just want to try something new.

I started out with 18 and decided to go a shorter route, but skipped 16 all together and went with a 14.5. I shoot mostly bay matches and wanted something more maneuverable. The 14 balances well and swings much easier. I don't feel like I'm giving anything up by skipping a 16 for the matches I shoot. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 16" gun going out to 800...you won't be handicapped if you're maxing out at 400, by choosing a 16" gun, especially one which can push 77grn projectiles.

I would suggest some research on gas system length and associated dwell time with the shorter barrel, though.  The rifle length gas on an 18" gun will provide a moderately softer recoil impulse.  But if you're doing the whole adjustable gas thing, it becomes nearly a non-issue.

Edited by GorillaTactical

I’ve been running 18” guns for most of my 3-gun life and they have been great but on the next build and probably all of them going foreword unless I plan on shooting beyond 600 a lot I will be moving to 16” barrels. Maybe 50fps difference on the heavy Bullets and that’s not going to mess up a stage more than my inability to get a stable shooting position. 

It's a matter of preference.  I think if you look at the lengths of the barrels you would see at almost any match you would find that there is no "right" length.  Some guys don't mind the added weight of say a mid weight 18 inch barrel whereas others may think its too heavy.  On the other hand, some guys don't mind the recoil of say a shorter, lighter setup with say a mid length gas.  Just depends on what you shoot best and what "feel" you prefer.  That said, I always felt that I shot an 18 inch gun that was a tad on the heavy side better than a shorter/lighter gun.