Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best range finder for 3 gun?

MrPan

1 hour ago, MrPan said:

I was looking at bino finders, but ive heard mixed reviews. Some say its like a spork okay at both but not great at either

If you want a good rangefinder in good binoculars, you'd better go for the high end products. Zeiss ain't cheap.

I think the best for the money is the Vortex Ranger or Sig Kilo. Sig has a decent warranty but Vortex, last time I looked, was the only range finder with a lifetime warranty.  Most are around one year.

Two things I think are important:  try and get a rangefinder the same magnification as your variable power optic so you can look at the targets through your range finder and get acquainted with what the targets will look like.  You can actually spend quite a bit of time looking at the targets this way when other people are shooting.  The other thing is that the cheapest range finders don't range that well.  I would get a range finder good for 1000 yards and that should work for 3 gun or hunting.  Whatever you want to range at a given distance, buy a range finder that doubles that.

If I were to make a specific recommendation it would be a Vortex Ranger 1300.

As 12Glocks said , DOUBLE the range you will be shooting.
I have the Vortex 850, not happy at all with it. It will BARELY range a 4'x4' white steel target at 600 yds on a cloudy day. 

On a sunny day it takes 4-6 attempts, tried it yesterday on a  solid overcast day, I got 1 , out of 60-80 attempts, would only reliably range ~275 yds,  on a 12", never got a range on a 16" at 320 yds. 
I could range the closest 3, got the 4th (left side) after 12-18 attempts, (kinda hidden in this pic) , never got a range on the ~300 & 400, got 1 on the 600.

I moved so all targets were in the clear when ranging, just took this pic where all targets were visible in one shot.
ELgcDZLh.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

1 hour ago, toothandnail said:

As 12Glocks said , DOUBLE the range you will be shooting.
I have the Vortex 850, not happy at all with it.
ELgcDZLh.jpg

Yes that was my point double the range you will be shooting.  Sorry if I was not clear on that.  I have been to many matches beyond 400 and many targets like 480 or 500 so I would not get a 850.  My Ranger 1000  never had a problem at any 3 gun match.

I have a Ranger 1800 now and I have never had any problems at a 3 gun match either.

That looks like a fun target array!

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

Yes that was my point double the range you will be shooting.  Sorry if I was not clear on that.  I have been to many matches beyond 400 and many targets like 480 or 500 so I would not get a 850.  My Ranger 1000  never had a problem at any 3 gun match.

I have a Ranger 1800 now and I have never had any problems at a 3 gun match either.

That looks like a fun target array!

We had 14, over 100 yds, on this stage at last years Missouri 3 Gun Championship (MO3GC.com)

Edited by toothandnail

i got the bushnell one mile arc for prs matches and use that at 2 & 3 gun matches.  pricey for just 3 gun but i've lazed out to 1200 with it at matches and hunting.  MFR # 202421

Edited by davsco

All the places I've been people have told us the ranges to the long distance targets so people without RFs weren't at a disadvantage but I don't know how other matches may be run. I've never brought my RF to a 3G match though, never felt the need.

Yeah the ranges the manufacturers list are "optimal" not always realistic. Basically you look at reviews for good brands and decide how much you can afford. There are no bargains or $200 RFs that are better than $400 ones, and $1200 ones are that much better. A popper at only 300 yards is not always going to be readable depending on light, ground cover, contrast against the background, etc. 

Nikon also is making some nice rangefinders that have gotten good reviews. Once you get into it people will nerd out about beam angle, etc. and whether they will sync with your phone's ballistics calculator, etc. The forum below has an entire section devoted to RFs ~  

SnipersHide.com forum will have some good deals because the long range guys are always upgrading to fancier gear so they often firesale good slightly used stuff. At least I did haha. 

Edited by Frankly