Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seated start classifiers

nasty618

Hi all.  What's the consensus of shooting seated start/table pick up classifiers?  Like  CM 13-07, etc.   Is there a time benefit to stay seated? Or does an average shooter get better results in general shooting standing up?  Thank you in advance!

Edited by nasty618

As I learned it the standing motion is covered up in the draw, so no time lost. Secondly that you shoot standing far far more often than seated so you will be in a more natural, subconscious body position for shooting by standing.

If you are shooting a classifier where you are seated and your gun is holstered like CM 99-02, then drawing while rising from the chair like rowdyb recommends might be faster.  On CM 99-33, your targets are partially obscured while sitting so getting out of the chair as quickly as possible is probably your best move.

On classifiers like CM 13-07, CM 09-07, CM 08-13, CM 13-05 and CM 09-03 where the start position has your gun on the table, as long as all targets are visible from a seated position, I stay seated.  Time taken to stand is time wasted.

Its time to start practicing shooting while sitting (especially before your knees start to go).  ?

I think with the gun on the table, with your eyes focused  on the gun you can stand and pick it up just as quick as shooting seated ?

I never shoot seated, It just feels more natural.

Thanks guys! Yep, definitely makes sense to stand up if it's a seated/holstered start, i agree.  I was curious about the seated/table pick up variation.  And there i could see the logic in both staying seated to save time and standing up to shoot the course in a more natural and practiced position...  When i get a chance to try either option with a timer, that will probably be the best way to find out what works best for me, but i have not had the opportunity...  so just wanted to see what the general preferences were.

• 4 weeks later...

Brian states in his book that he and Rob Leatham experimented with this a lot and they found it was always faster to stand and shoot than remain seated. I’ve never been forced to shoot sitting down but it seems like you couldn’t be nearly as aggressive with essentially no stance to help absorb recoil or help drive quick transitions. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...