Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Shootingbeaver

Do you have to move to a position if targets are available from another?

Morning Gentlemen,

I shot a match this past Saturday and one of the stages had two fault lines P3 & P4 at the end of a hallway. When you were standing at P3 you were completely behind P4 and if you were standing at P3 against the wall you could see the targets for P4.  So my plan for the stage was to run up to the wall for P3 shoot the P3 targets then twist my waist to the left without taking a step and shoot the targets at P4.  After I finished the SO thought it was a procedural because I didn’t take a step into P4 before shooting.  My argument was that I was behind P4 so it shouldn’t matter if I took a step or not. Now the stage procedure did say something like “move to P3 shoot T5 & T6 move to P4 shoot T7 & T8.  Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of the procedure.  So the question is do you have to move?

D7F3DA60-3945-418D-9FA9-F0EF614C655F.png

I’m not following the specific stage order but im sure if the written stage instructions gave direction on where to go and what order, then any deviation is a procedural penalty.

2 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I’m not following the specific stage order but im sure if the written stage instructions gave direction on where to go and what order, then any deviation is a procedural penalty.

All targets were shot according to the stage order and behind fault lines.  

I agree.  The fault line is the only definition of a cover position.  Nothing says you have to be AT the fault line to shoot, just behind it.

But then I did not keep up my SO card for the current rules. 

If I were RO, I would interpret “move to P4” as a specific stage instruction. You admitted you didn’t “move to it.” 

Probably would have been clearer if the stage designer had thrown a box there.

Note: Oops. Just realized this is in IDPA rules. Sorry, I am interpreting via USPSA. Darn "All Activity" feed. Carry on.

Edited by Mcfoto

That’s just poor stage design.

Did the description instruct you to take steps to p4? Or did it say to move? Because it sounds like you did move to p4, you twisted your waist and adjusted your aim. 

Something else to think about - there’s only supposed to be one fault line per point of cover. I realize this is two points of cover, but I’m pretty sure that rule exists to avoid this type of situation.  

Based on the pic, say the shooter is in the black pants, then you would be in cover for P3 AND P4. You do not have to be a specific distance from the POC. 

49 minutes ago, racknrider said:

Based on the pic, say the shooter is in the black pants, then you would be in cover for P3 AND P4. You do not have to be a specific distance from the POC. 

That was my interpretation as long as I shot the targets from behind the fault line I should have been good. Their interpretation is I had to move from P3.  ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, djb25 said:

That’s just poor stage design.

Did the description instruct you to take steps to p4? Or did it say to move? Because it sounds like you did move to p4, you twisted your waist and adjusted your aim. 

Something else to think about - there’s only supposed to be one fault line per point of cover. I realize this is two points of cover, but I’m pretty sure that rule exists to avoid this type of situation.  

The procedure said move to P4.  

Under section M-2 MATCH ADMINISTRATION RULES  the match admin guide states

The procedure cannot forbid legal actions, especially in regard to vision barriers and cover positions. For example, a procedure may not say that a target must be ignored even though it is visible and able to be engaged by the shooter.

So if I can see the target I can shoot it.

6 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Under section M-2 MATCH ADMINISTRATION RULES  the match admin guide states

So if I can see the target I can shoot it.

This!