Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Questions

262alcante

Given that the IDPA is experiencing so much change currently, along with significant personnel changes along with the relocation of their membership headquarters, there is been a fair number rule changes that I am not completely up to speed on. I typically shoot SSP as a sharpshooter. Regarding the box, yes an empty mag has to be in the gun. Assuming you're shooting 45 ACP in CDP. Technically, you could shoot to Mccormicks, but you would not be able to load them to capacity but rather division capacity, and further, with the McCormick's inserted a 1911 would not fit in a box. Also, in IDPA (similar to US PSA production), you're much better off for speed of the draw purposes to buy high-quality outside the waistband holster from a company like Comptac for Bladetech  and edition a lot of new high-quality holster makers also have product on the scene, in contrast, the Uncle Mike's brand holster, is listed by name in the IDP rule book and specifically prohibited.(Further, although USPSA permits a dropped an offset holster hanger, IDPA does not and lists specific measurement for the amount of maximum drop a holster can have, as well as how far horizontally off the hip the holster can be (just go to the IDPA website and download the rule book for free). Most factory 45 ACP we'll make power factor, since all targets are engaged with a minimum two shots in most courses is a fire, finding that factory round that consistently we'll put you just above division power factor,  is the best route to take. If your intention is to be competitive, it probably doesn't make sense because of the cost as well as increased recoil, it's best to steer clear of hot defense loads, but rather shoot something like Winchester white box, or Federal American Eagle, etc. I don't have a clear recollection regarding appendix Carry, but I believe in the past it was prohibited and whether they've begun to allow it, I don't know. And lastly of course you can carry Booth inside the waistband and outside the waistband in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions as well as the small of the back positions without drawing the ire of other shooters or safety officer. Finally, don't forget a concealment garment unless the match you're shooting is specifically waiving the need for one.

Thanks

Jon

Appendix carry is not allowed in IDPA. 

Small of the back is not allowed. 

Trigger must be behind the side centerline of your body.  The pants seam is a good indicator but not official.  Think FBI carry. 

So must ammo. 

I don't see where Uncle Mike's holsters are barred, their Kydex is not bad. 

Some ranges disallow the SERPA and similar trigger finger latch holsters but that is not an IDPA rule. 

Gun with longest magazine must fit The Box, gun with heaviest magazine must weigh not more than 43 oz. 

To shoot from appendix with the weapon you usually carry to defend yourself, you have to jump to USPSA.

And even there you can’t use it in Production (SSP equivalent) or SingeStack (CDP equiv)... you have to shoot in Limited where any holster position is legal.

I’m a huge fan of appendix carry and have run the carry gun in USPSA on a couple of occasions.

• 2 months later...

My local IDPA club allows appendix carry on a per-person basis for level 1 matches.  They shoot in the SDP category which is basically a catch-all for people who bring non-compliant gear to local matches.  Your local club may allow this or they may not.  As a new shooter though I doubt that a match director would allow it.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:43 PM, 262alcante said:

When you place your Handgun in the box at registration does an empty mag have to be installed.

Can McCormick 10 round mags be used.

Can you shoot a match carrying AIWB or is it best just to carry OWB on the hip.

Just for info sake I will be shooting a 1911.

Yes, a mag has to be inserted. And the "biggest" one you intend to use.

If they fit in the gun in the box, yes they can be used.

No, you can not shoot aiwb. Owb is used by a vast majority of competitors.

A full size one? So in ESP or CDP depending on caliber and mods.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, ajblack said:

My local IDPA club allows appendix carry on a per-person basis for level 1 matches.  They shoot in the SDP category which is basically a catch-all for people who bring non-compliant gear to local matches.  Your local club may allow this or they may not.  As a new shooter though I doubt that a match director would allow it.

Not per IDPA rules, 8.5.1 Non-Permitted Holsters (Non-Inclusive list):
A. Cross-draw carry
B. Shoulder holsters
C. Small of the back carry
D. Appendix carry
E. Pocket carry

Even if the gun is non standard, the holster rules still apply.

8.2.10 Specialty Divisions (SPD)

C. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the
body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at
low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.

The match director does not have the authority to allow that. If he does, then it's not an IDPA sanctioned match.

Edited by 9x45

Some club rules override IDPA rules so that it does not upset the paying club member that wants to shoot IDPA but not join and will never shoot anywhere else..That is why it might be ok to use some of the mags you have and may be able to draw AIWB. Not all clubs are IDPA legal,but still use the targets and rules.. 

My local club is not affiliated, does some funny things, so I call it IDPAish.  I think things are trending back to IDPA procedures, though. 

There is one guy who comes in with 10x45 magazines and nothing is said.

We also shoot USPSAish but rules and procedures are followed, just not affiliated. 

But if you are going to shoot IDPA, shoot IDPA by the rules.  I see no reason to start out wrong with ideas of complying "someday."

When I was working local matches, I would cut a new or casual shooter some slack on gun and gear IF THAT WAS ALL HE HAD.  Like the one guy whose only handgun was a six inch revolver.  But I gave the guy who wanted to bring out one of his many noncompliant pistols in lieu of his Glock a hard time.  Your 5.7 won't knock down a 9mm calibrated Popper?  Miss. 

And, as Frank Glover said, "IDPA requires us to hold six IDPA matches a year.  This ain't one of them."

Edited by Jim Watson

On 2/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, GmanCdp said:

Some club rules override IDPA rules so that it does not upset the paying club member that wants to shoot IDPA but not join and will never shoot anywhere else..That is why it might be ok to use some of the mags you have and may be able to draw AIWB. Not all clubs are IDPA legal,but still use the targets and rules.. 

Well then it's not an IDPA match. So it should be called Uncle Bob's action pistol match that knocks off the IDPA using "some" of their rules. Unless the club is listed on the IDPA website, it's not an IDPA club!  So don't call it an IDPA match! IDPA depends on membership dues and club listing dues.