Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitioning from open polyner to open steel

Jcgatus

I normally shoot limited. But, i put together an open glock to "mess with". In other words, I wanted to get a taste of open style fun without diving straight into it.

What I found out...

- dot tracking is an art

- dremels are your best friend

- clearing malfunctions have been second nature...

I loved how it ended up looking. However, functionality was not all there. That is why I am considering "investing" on a dedicated open style pistol. On the bright side, it gave me a red dot platform to dryfire on in order to get this darn sight tracking thingermajig down. For 8 months, i think its done some good and helped me prepped for a real real gun! Lol

Any advice on what to avoid,  what to expect, and what to work on?

Heres a vid of my final complete gucci glock

I just made the switch from an open Glock 17 to a CK Thunder in 9Major. My setup on the Glock was the Zev Fulcrum trigger, magwell, Carver 3 port comp on a lone wolf barrel, slide racker, a a C-More on an SJC sideways mount. My Thunder is setup with a DPP sight and a Cheely E2 grip, and is just better in every way. I shot my first match with the CK yesterday and even with having only about 50 rounds through it I shot my best open performance ever. The gun is flatter with less recoil and the trigger cannot be beat no matter what you do to a Glock. I did the Glock thing for the same reasons as you, but if I had it to do over I would have went straight to the 2011 platform. 

Nice job on the Glock. But when you switch to a 2011 platform you'll never look back, they are night and day. Like Wvaughn7 said the trigger is by far better in a 2011. I would suggest trying a few different 2011's before you buy one. Different builds have different feels, comps act different, balance can be different, grips are different ( steel, aluminum, plastic) so on and so on. But when you get one you'll wonder what took you so long to make the switch.

I also just made the switch from an open Glock to a 2011, and sti trubor. It’s really just night and day. The sti is so much flatter, the trigger is on another level which makes it so much easier to be accurate under stress. The extra weight of the steel frame really makes a world of difference. I thought my open Glock was a flat shooter. After going to the 2011, I realized just how violent it really is. 

One thing im very happy about is all my mags work perfectly. I heard so much about “tuning” and all, and I didn’t have to deal with that. Got some mbx mags which ars great right out of the box. Got some sti mags that also worked flawlessly out of the box but needed some after market parts to get the capacity needed. But that was just plug and play with different base plates and spring. 

Onr thing ill always miss is how easy it is to work on a Glock. I’m a essentially a master Glock gun smith lol, there is nothing I couldn’t do and do quickly with a Glock. With these 2011s, i can’t do much, yet. I’m keeping my Glock as backup though. Just in case. But I can’t ever see myself going back 

I've shot a G32 (357 sig) for years and as a carry. Got a G22 and KKM 357sig barrel, Carver mount and FF3. Was loud, RO's hated it. But I was used to the round. Did well with it for 2 years. The FF3 dot was very stable and hardly ever moved. Just switched to a Czechmate and it has taken a bit to get used to. Grip angle, less recoil and the dam Cmore keeps moving, finding the right powder and bullet. For now it's Xtreme 135. Fed 200, misc brass and 6.2 Silhouette. 

Glock open guns are fun and takes a bit to get used to. When you get a steel gun, 2011, STI, Atlas, etc....it's just a matter of practice. Stick with a good Red dot and the same ammo, when you find what works best. Then practice, not much to expect if you already have a few Matches under your belt.