Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 9mm major

jpease

I'm trying to load 9mm major for my open gun with a 3 port egw comp. but I'm afraid of over pressuring. Currently tring... 

7gr hs6

124gr plated rn

Winchester primer

1.170 oal

Chrono @ an avaverage of 1190fps 147pf

This load seem to start flattening the primers some I'm nervous to go any higher. Is this normal? Can someone help me out with a load? 

18 minutes ago, SWprotected said:

I can't offer advice on your particular gun, but that seems way low to be having pressure issues. My first thought would be that you have a short chamber and the bullet is contacting the lands.

1.17 is kind of long. Some guys run that long but most stay under. Do a drop check to test.

What type gun? What type primer?

I don't know of anyone shooting 9Major who is using that heavy of a bullet. Typical is either a 115 or a 124, I use a 124 with 7.2 gr of Autocomp at 1.165, gives me ~ 1380fps  for a 171 PF, no signs of overpressure in my gun (STI Trubor).  The 115 guys load theirs to almost 1500 fps (and there are a lot of them). If it was legal (USPSA has a minimum bullet weight for Major), I'm sure some would try an even lighter bullet to get more gas (which is the secret of getting a comp to work correctly)

My response is assuming you have a 1911 style pistol that was built to handle 9 major loads, it needs to have a fully supported chamber. If you are shooting something different as in a Glock, etc please disregard the following. 

I have been loading 9 major for well over 10 years and have tried a lot

of different loads.

Your length is correct at 1.170. That may vary some depending on the bullet profile but it will be close. HS6 is a good powder for 9 major and I have used many pounds of it. The load for my Infinity 9 major pistol is a little past 8.4 grs with a 124 jacketed bullet. 

With a plated bullet you will not need that much powder. I would guess you will end up around 7.8 grs but you absolutely must start low and work up to it. Chrono every load. Barrel length, barrel ports, etc will all have effect on your loads. 

Maybe you you can post a pic of the primers that you think are showing signs of pressure. 

9 minutes ago, Don_B said:

Maybe you can post a pic of the primers that you think are showing signs of pressure. 

I think you'll find your idea of flat and our idea of flat are a little different ?

124gr bullets and HS6 are a popular combo in 9 major with a charge in the 8+ grains range.

Do your primers look closer to the right or the left?  Small pistol primers I presume?

images.jpeg.2a9111d97dcf3bd0503e877ba348b5b0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

1.17 is kind of long. Some guys run that long but most stay under. Do a drop check to test.

What type gun? What type primer?

My CK has a short throat and I can only load to 1.155 with a PD JHP, but with a plated 124 I load to 1.180 and it works great. 

I definitely agree about making sure the rounds fit in your chamber, though.  Drop one into the barrel and make sure it will spin, which indicates that the bullet has not touched the rifling.   Also, when I loaded HS-6 behind a 124 plated, it took me 7.8 to solidly make power factor. 

I've heard of guys doing this because the metal is stronger and it takes more pressure to flatten. I don't really what to hide my pressure issue under a stronger primer jacket. Is there other advantages of using small rifle primers? 

Exactly what you stated. With a Federal primer, it may look completely flattened on a normal load, while with a Winchester or CCI, it may not. You don't want primer blow through, as that tiny piece of metal can get stuck in the firing pin channel, and then you have a dead gun in the middle of a stage.

Just about every FMJ-RN and Plated RN will load longer than the 1.169 max for 9mm even in the notoriously short-throated pistols, so it's unlikely you're hitting the lands.  You should still check, though.  You should always check.  ;) 

And has been said, flattened primers are outright flattened, not just looking like they are starting to flatten out a little.  They all do that.  ;) 

2 hours ago, jpease said:

I don't really what to hide my pressure issue under a stronger primer jacket.

Sounds like you already know what you need to know.  If you're not comfortable with the flattening you see with HS6, you could switch to 3N38, but I don't think you have anything to worry about with your choice of components.

You have to try really hard to pierce SPP in 9mm.

When I started loading 9mm Major 12 years ago, it was a fairly new discipline -

fortunately, I had just started reading BE and Slowly I eased up from PF 150 to

160 to 168, and only because other BE pioneers had gone on ahead of me and

showed me the way.    

But, I was still nervous, and still went very slowly until I felt comfortable with it.    :) 

Of course, I was shooting an STI 2011 - if you're shooting a Glock, then I'd be

even more cautious.

I would not cover up pressure signs with a rifle primer. HS6 is a fine powder for major, one of the few, your length (1.170) is correct and your bullet (124gn) is correct. I also use Win spp and have no issues with them making major.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:02 AM, jpease said:

I'm trying to load 9mm major for my open gun with a 3 port egw comp. but I'm afraid of over pressuring. Currently tring... 

7gr hs6

124gr plated rn

Winchester primer

1.170 oal

Chrono @ an avaverage of 1190fps 147pf

This load seem to start flattening the primers some I'm nervous to go any higher. Is this normal? Can someone help me out with a load? 

8.1 grains of HS-6, 124 JHP and Winchester Primers at 1.165 is my favorite load, unfortunately HS-6 is expensive at $33 a pound locally so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I certainly would not worry about that price for pistol powder, seeing that you get almost 1000 rounds per pound... 33 a pound comes out to 3.8 cents per round...

But if you buy in bulk, HS6 is only 22 per pound can, or 20 a pound in a 8 pound jug, on powdervalleyonc.com.

That works out to be down to 2.5 cents per pound. You will not find many powders cheaper than that...

I for one would not compromise my favorite powder for a penny a round...

Edited by RiggerJJ

14 hours ago, AKJD said:

8.1 grains of HS-6, 124 JHP and Winchester Primers at 1.165 is my favorite load, unfortunately HS-6 is expensive at $33 a pound locally so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I'm not sure how much it will cost to ship to Alaska, but I love this powder: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/77203