Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cajun Gun Works SP01 rules question

Glander

Greetings All

These two questions are from a Forum newbie. I just purchased an SP01 from CGW’s. I had the Pro Package installed which is a DA/SA conversion to SAO, I chose the straight trigger and also had the FPB removed. So I have a half cock position and a slide safety. I have written to IDPA and my Regional a week ago and still have not received a response on whether or not I’m legal. Do any of you compete with the same set up. The gun measures 6 1/8th inches what about the box. Your comments are welcome I’m sitting here wondering if I need to send my gun back to CGW to make it legal. Thank you 

Your FPB must be reinstalled in order to meet IDPA Rule 8.1.8 section E, which states:  

"8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook.

E.  Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties. 1911 series 80 frames may be used with series 70 slides or vice versa. Revolver actions may not be modified so that the hammer can fall when the cylinder is open."  

Edited by Ken6PPC

8.2.2 Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP)

Handguns permitted for use in ESP must:

A. Be semi-automatic.

B. Use 9 mm (9x19) or larger cartridges.

C. The unloaded firearm with the heaviest magazine must weigh 43.00 oz. or less.

D. The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”.

The gun can be canted in The Box.  Will that get a 6.125" gun in a 6" box?  I don't know.

Might have been smart to read the rules before you bought the gun.

The sp-01 is a great gun for IDPA. It will fit in the box. Your measured height isn't consistent with the actual specs for that gun. 5.79 inches is the height. Now as for the firing pin block that must be installed to compete. The single action only trigger puts you into ESP. However cajun's pro package isn't a conversion to SAO unless you specifically asked for them to do that too. Otherwise you have a tuned sp-01 that's DA/SA and can compete in SSP and ESP. So yes reading the rules first is good but also knowing what you are talking about is too. If not smarter.