Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 3055. 8 shot redhawk

BorderShift

Hey all, new to forum. 

Have been a shooter since I was a kid. Started reloading when I was 14.  got bit by the revolver bug again bought a tarus 77 and realized it was not going to hold up to the volume of shooting I had in mind (7k+ in the past 4 months). 2 months ago bought a ruger redhawk 8 shot 357. Had seriously considered a smith 929 or a 627 but was concerned about getting a lemon with Smith's QC being what it is and gun shop not able to get a 627 v comp. 

have been lurking on forum for a few weeks and have not really seen much talk on the redhawk. Figured I would "stir the pot" as it were.

have put 1k or so rounds through mine so far. And at least twice that dry fire. Have also installed wolf spring kit. So far I have been pretty happy with it. Next up is getting hammer bobbed and changer cylinder. Hoping to be ready to start shooting icore and uspsa at local club when spring hits ... And not look like a dummy.

Hi and welcome.

Interesting choice on the Ruger. Not ready to call it a lemon yet, but my month-old 627 is at the gunsmith mostly for an action job but also because I can’t get any brass/ moon clips combo that will easily load. He’s chalking it up to the sad state of modern manufacturing. Says he doesn’t see any of these issues in the Classic Revolvers he works on. Since Ruger is now a major sponsor of ICORE and they’ve put together a top-talent shooter team, it’ll be interesting if the can give SW some much needed competition.

That was my thought. So far I have been experimenting with starline 38 long Colts and short colts. The moon clips ruger sends are decent. The cheap stamped clips are just that. But so far the main thing slowing me down is a lack of chamfer. Spring kit has da pull around 8.5 lbs. Just ordered hearthco moons from to customs. Was curious about the open package he is offering for the ruger. Though I think I want to shoot in limited.

Edited by BorderShift

I have 2 627's.  The first one I bought when I first started shooting revolver and it was manufactured around 2010.   It was in great condition but, being new to revolvers and not knowing that it should have one, it was about a year before someone pointed out to me that it was missing the ball detent in the yoke! No hole, no nothing!  It took 2 trips back to the factory to get that straightened out.  Recently I decided I wanted a backup so I started looking for an old, lightly shot 627.  Found one and this one was built in 2009.  It doesn't even have turn marks on the cylinder. Previous owner claimed he only put about 50 rounds through it.  My rationale was the older ones came out when the q.c. was better.  I may be wrong about that but this gun is beautiful.  Both guns had only factory chamfer.  The first gun, the moon clipped rounds fell right in.  The second gun, not even close.  I sent both cylinders out to be chamfered and it's like night and day.  I started out shooting .38sp because that's what I had dies for.  I'm kinda used to the longer rounds now and with the chamfer and at my level of shooting, it's not worth it to me to invest in all I'd need to invest in to go to .38 short or long colt.  I use revolver supply moon clips at .025 and the only brass that fits properly is Federal.  Star line falls out. 

Anyway, welcome.  The knowledge here in these forums is incredible and everyone is very welcoming!

Well tk just shipped my moon clips. Guess I will email him about work I want done and get an idea of turnaround time when I get around to it. Btw a safariland 002 holster for an N frame works decently on the redhawks. Think it was for a 627. Only other thing I need to get rolling is a moon clip rack.

11 minutes ago, BorderShift said:

Thinking i might go with the one from north mountain or get a moon clip server.

Yep. Most folks I shoot with do the North Mountain or a home made variant. Thought hard about the server but seems more technical than needs to be.

Holsters sized for S&W seem to fit Rugers well. I have a few different L-size holsters for my GP100 - and they fit perfectly.

I suspect S&W has ruled competitive revolver shooting because of the good triggers out of the box. Then the aftermarket parts supply has developed too. My GP100 is totally stock and the trigger is pretty OK after about 10,000 rounds and whatever dry firing I've done.

Recently, I got to handle a GP100 that had seen some work by a competent 'smith: cut for moonclips and polished trigger surfaces. That trigger was nice!

Now that Ruger is an ICORE sponsor and appears to be poised to make a serious push in the competition circuit, I’ll be interested if they make any efforts to redesign some things. If the Redhawk internal design could be revamped, it would be awesome. It’s hard for me to imagine the  Redhawk displacing the 627 without making that trigger substantially better. 

Hey glad to see some life in this topic. 

12 hours ago, radny97 said:

Now that Ruger is an ICORE sponsor and appears to be poised to make a serious push in the competition circuit, I’ll be interested if they make any efforts to redesign some things. If the Redhawk internal design could be revamped, it would be awesome. It’s hard for me to imagine the  Redhawk displacing the 627 without making that trigger substantially better. 

Yes please. Ruger needs to make this happen. 

got my moon clips from TK yesterday. Very happy. Though I'm not shure why you would need a moon clip loading tool. My 38 shorts snapped in by hand no problem. I could see if they were tight so as not to bend the clip. I have to say I am surprised no one else has even seen anyone using a redhawk 357. Guess I'll just keep marching to my own beat.

One of my buddies and I were discussing this, and now that Ruger has their fancy new custom shop and strong shooting team it will be interesting to see if they make a Custom Shop/Match version of the 8 shooter. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if that is coming down the pipe.

Also a true 5" SR9 with a nice set of milled in target sights (ala XDm) and a trigger job. 

A prototype of what you guys are asking for already exists from Ruger. It was shot at the IRC and USPSA nationals. Somewhere in the 7-8lb trigger weight I believe. Most likely a production version months out. 

6 hours ago, MWP said:

A prototype of what you guys are asking for already exists from Ruger. It was shot at the IRC and USPSA nationals. Somewhere in the 7-8lb trigger weight I believe. Most likely a production version months out. 

This is very exciting news. I was at the IRC but had to shoot the first two days with the range officers because i couldn’t be there for the main two days. I’m so sorry i missed seeing this gun. I’ll be one of the first in line to try it when they roll it out. Thanks for the heads up. And MWP, congrats on the IRC win! 

Just from my perspective. It is a tank of a pistol, the vast majority of the weight is in the cylinder. I think it is decently balanced, ruger is using a tensioned barrel with outer shroud so not much weight out at the end. One thing I really like is da pull there is a distinct "notch" when the cylinder locks up just before the hammer breaks. I feel like this really helps with the longer shots. Have  compared to a stock 929 at local gun shop, best way I can describe is the ruger da pull feels "sluggish" not necessarily heavier. Just my 2 cents but with out a tuned smith to compare to hard to give a real comparison. Have not made up my mind on grips yet, I gravitate towards a switch hand reload being left handed and right eye dominate and shooting right hand. Looking at a set of houge nylons  to carve up and see if I can do better.

14 hours ago, radny97 said:

This is very exciting news. I was at the IRC but had to shoot the first two days with the range officers because i couldn’t be there for the main two days. I’m so sorry i missed seeing this gun. I’ll be one of the first in line to try it when they roll it out. Thanks for the heads up. And MWP, congrats on the IRC win! 

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. 

As for the gun itself, I bet Dave Olhasso will let anyone check it out if you catch him at a match with it.